PSA: Don't forget to change your clocks tonight! (Unless you live in a happy place that doesn't bother with daylight savings.)
Today: our annual spring forward poll. As always, answer as many or as few as you like, or just talk about something else. If it's fall where you live, adjust the questions accordingly.
1. What's the fragrance you'd most like to add to your collection this spring?
2. You have to vote one perfume in your collection off the island. Which one will go first, and why?
3. It's time for (fantasy) Spring Break! Where are you going, and pick ONE fragrance to bring with you.
Note: top image is Crocus [cropped] by Susanne Nilsson at flickr; some rights reserved.
I’m still dithering over L’AP Mimosa Pour Moi and Arquiste Boutonniere. The former is discontinued and the latter is expensive and in a big bottle, so this is more of a vague wish.
If I were to give something the boot it would be Stash, which I arduously acquired, but rarely wear.
Now for a question: I passed along a tube of EA Eight Hour Cream to a friend with very dry hands; not only did it work well, but she loved the scent. It has been described as citronella-like and I really disliked it. (She also liked the scent of the camomile hand cream she’d been using previously.) What would smell like the 8HC? She’s not much of a perfume person, but it might be nice to get her a little interested in the perfume world…
Bath & Body Works Wildflower Tea is a cheap thrill, Elizabeth W Neroli Chamomile is another.
Johnson & Johnson Baby Lavanda bath wash is delicious.
Thanks, will try to have a sniff,
If you think she’d like rose, Coqui Coqui’s Rosas Frescas is a lemongrass-rose scent.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Here un Europe you can still find a bottle of Mimosa Por Moi. Where are you based?
Alas, I am in Canada and it doesn’t seem to be in stock here…
How funny. We used to use that cream as a lip balm, and I can remember the consistency and that it tasted funny, but I can’t remember the smell at all.
It reminded me of an old canvas tent, which probably was an idiosyncratic reaction.
Annie A, I bought a 100ml bottle of MPM last year for my birthday as that was the only size available here and it turns out that I can’t wear it as it makes me sneeze and my eyes water. Unfortunately sending a bottle in the post does not seem possible anymore Do you have any ideas? (I am in South Africa).
Merlin, how sad about the sneezing, and how thoughtful of you to consider! I’d previously had my cousin in England be a drop-off point for people who couldn’t send to Canada and then I’d visit her, but the post might not work to UK either, plus am not doing any overseas travel for a good long while. We’ll have to table it for the interim…
It is sad because it’s really such a pretty floral, bright, innocent and warm. I think it’s the very smell of yellow!
Before I thought it was only certain white florals that triggered my allergies – like Lust from Lush. Anyway, live and learn but it was unfortunately a pricey mistake.
And of course it’s even MORE sad that perfume can’t go in international post now. Sigh, such first world problems to have ?
1. Well, I just blind bought a travel spray of Snowy Owl thanks to Jessica, so…. (I generally don’t blind buy but I’m a big DSH fan and I was on a no-buy all last year so a little pent up demand.
2. I have a 30ml of Nicolaï Rose Royale that is continually on the bubble. It’s pretty but every time I try it I feel like it’s not me.
3. Hard to recall what traveling feels like. Going to Aspen to ski and taking my DSH Colorado with me.
Snowy Owl sounds interesting to me, too. I own a big bottle of L’eau d’Hiver, though, and I nearly never wear it due to how transparent it is. That comparison is enough to keep me from full enthusiasm. I’ll be interested to hear how others feel about it!
I could barely smell anything. It was a big disappointment to me.
I definitely tend towards a maximalist personal fragrance style, so usually I want my perfumes to have some oomph! I like some wispier fragrances, but they still need to stand out enough to feel like I’m wearing something. It does sound like Snowy Owl could be too shear for me.
I’m not sure I would have ordered it had I not done a no buy for a year – didn’t seem like much of a risk after all the $ saved last year. Also, I’m a teacher so there is definitely room for sheer fragrance in my collection. I guess I’ll find out soon!
What do you think of Snowy Owl? It’s on my wishlist, scent unsmelled.
I just ordered it. Will most certainly post when it arrives!
Happy weekend folks!
I believe we still have 2 weeks until we’ll be changing time here in Poland. I’m having a quiet day, it’s been raining for most of it today but I did some shopping. Now I’m doing some online checking for new pair of pants.
Mum is back from the hospital after her sinuses op and is feeling well
1. Maybe Iris Shot by Olfactive Studio. Or Les Brumes (Ormaie) so my L’Ivree Bleue doesn’t feel alone.
2. I can say goodbye to Bois Fuchsia from Rosine. Not my kind of thing at all. I’m trying to sell or swap it.
3. Gosh, honestly I’d go anywhere after a year of not travelling. A return to Milan for Esxence (it’s scheduled for June but I think it’s unlikely it will take place) would be nice. I can take Splendiris with me.
Today I’m wearing Aedes Cierge de Lune. I guess my bottles will be gaining an extra value if the brand really stopped operating.
Yay for your mom being home!
It was a standard op to remove polyps.
Splendiris! I’m in love with it after finishing my two samples. That may be my next purchase.. It must have been great to be able to meet Pissara and be one of the first to sample it! I can’t wait to see what she makes next.
Actually my bottle was a reward in Dusita naming contest when people were coming up with the names for a perfume that eventually became Splendiris. Most funny think about this is that I was in Paris then and met Pissara in her boutique the day before the big reveal.
Moonling in Chiangmai is amazing, I hope the next perfume continues the trend.
Wow. What an amazing story! I heard about that naming contest and you won it! What a nice memory to keep of the event and the perfume.
Pissara seems like a really lovely person and so talented! I admire all of her perfumes, even if not all of them are to my taste. It’s nice to be able to support someone like her instead of a large cosmetic company.
I didn’t win, I was one of the winners though. But the name Splendiris comes from someone else.
Glad your mum is back and that her operation went well!
Good morning all! Happy Saturday. My SOTD is Wrappings by Clinique. Speaking of, Clinique is having a 30% off online, there’s a Wrappings Gift set (lotion and .85 parfum spray) for $28. I plan on pulling the trigger, and restoring my SPF stash, their mineral SPF is great.
1. I’d love to add Montale Patchouli Leaves EDP and Fendi’s Life Essence to my collection.
2. I’d vote Creed’s Fleur Bulgarie off the island, I like it but I never wear it.
3. I’d visit Italy or New York, and I’d bring Fendi (the original).
Robin, I LOVE the Crocus picture!
Hi ST. Yay, Fendi! I almost wore my Fendi EDT today. I’m keeping my eyes open for Fendi Life Essence as well.
Morning Springpansy! Yes, please do! It’s such a beautiful fragrance, and now that my bottle is nearly drained, I’m getting a little nervous. Years ago, it came in a deodorant and shower gel, fantastic products…
I love when I hear friends say that they can’t wait to visit New York! It makes me happy to live here and I need to appreciate it more
I adore New York, it’s my home town and there’s no place I’d rather be.
Come back for a visit post-COVID and we can all go perfume sniffing!
That would be SO much fun! Someday…
?? at leaving soon…. but visits planned….
My former partner was from midtown, Manhattan, and we were able to scrape together the funds for two visits to his family during the decade we were together. I was so grateful to have locals to show me around; what an amazing city! I’d like to go back and do it in a more relaxed way some time (travel in a more “Oregonian” sort of way). I would still benefit from knowing some of the neighborhood haunts and small restaurants.
She has lots of other great pictures of flowers…this is not her first appearance here
I’m in Chanel 5 L’eau today. Had my usual morning yoga practice then joined a friend for her online Pilates class, which completely kicked my butt. Maybe I won’t get anything else done today. Coffee and muesli now.
1. Likely not a very springy fragrance, but all of a sudden I really want the travel size of Memo African Leather. I’m also interested in Bois de Balincourt.
2. I think I may vote my L’Ambre des Merveilles off. Yes, I know it’s beautiful and I thought I loved it. But the patchouli note is really bothering me. You may see it in the swapmeet if I can’t manage to become friends.
3. As soon as I can, I will be off to Colorado to see all my buddies there and I’ll bring something earthy and warm like my diminishing decant of PG Bois Blond.
Wow, that’s a nice kind of tired and sore though. I might practice some yoga later today if I have time. PG Bois Blond is gorgeous stuff.
springpansy, would you like some more Bois Blond? I only have 2 ml decant bottles, but I’d be happy to fill five of them and send 10 ml your way.
Hi sistine, what a kind offer. Could you email me–just click on my screen name above to see my email. Then we can chat and perhaps swap.
I just emailed you!
Trying a few Pilates classes is on my bucket list – you make it sound fun, SP! I keep putting off yoga, but that is a known help for my body. Back in The Day, I used to follow along on *TV* with Richard Hittleman and Lilias on PBS.
These are all online classes. I enjoy my yoga more than Pilates, but it’s good to do lots of different things, right? On Friday, I took a live, but online yoga class taught by an American woman in Rome offered through my employer.
Happy weekend NST!
1. I’m dithering between Les Indemodables Fougere Emeraude and Chanel 31 Rue de Cambon
2. Hmm, probably Lancôme Santal Kardamom.
3. I’ll be going to a forest with a river where I can swim. Here all the stars come out at night and the campfire is cosy. No fragrance as I like to soak up the smells of my surroundings: wet earth, clear skies, water and mud and creatures, sun on the greenery, flowers and rotting, the cold morning air.
Oh, I love those smells. Camping smells!!
How would you describe Fougere Emeraude? Tried a couple from this line, but not that one (put off by the word fougere). I do like tuberose, though.
Here’s a review. http://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2021/03/01/les-indemodables-part-ii-iris-perle-fougere-emeraude-rose-de-jamal-and-chypre-azural/
Haha – exactly the same reason I was put off. The last one I tried and really love (along with Vanille Havane). Certainly wouldn’t call it fougere or particularly emeraude. To me it’s a well restrained tuberose. I love how the herbs complement it in the opening. And the dry down is addictive. The herbs do not make it fresh and green. It ends up being more spicy. Like mint tampering the sweetness of lamb. Sorry – I’m not great at describing scents ?
So many people were praising Santal Kardamom that I really wanted to try it.
It was addictive for me at first. But now every time I spray it it just *won’t go away*. Not like a scrubber, more like someone you know, and even lik, but they overstay their welcome.
Happy to send you a sample of you like. Just gotta find something to decant it into…
If it’s not a problem I will gladly accept a small sample
No, not a problem. If you have any decanting ideas though… I‘ll take them. Otherwise I will send an email when it‘s posted.
You should be able to find something on eBay, like a small plastic/glass vial.
Good questions, Ms. Robin! I have actually started a *drawer* of scents that need to find new homes. Some are TJX cheapie impulses before it got through my thick head that lots of $10 and $15 cheapies are not cheap. Reem Acra stands out in that crowd, because when I got it (LOVE the bottle) I already knew I did not like pear, ginger and cedar. But for the question, it is L’Elephant! I love its presence and its lasting power, and I love spicy scents, but Mr. Elephant never comes together for me. Having written this, I will give it another try, but I see it appearing at the Swap Meet. I have already purchased a perfume I’d been eyeing for Spring: Aura edt Sensuelle. Mugler perfumes come across to me as urban, aloof, and contemporary, which are all aspects not attractive to me. However, I also find them compelling and high quality. Aura edp was a bit much, but edt Sensuelle hit the spot. My other Mugler FB is Alien. It does not call to me but when I wear it, it enthralls me. Angel does not quite work for me. Fantasy vacay? Hmmm, Kyoto, and I will take LPRN Black Perfecto!
I adore Mugler scents, especially Angel and Alien. Being Jasmine-centered, Alien is a fragrance I never thought I’d appreciate (the amber dry down helps) but It’s such glorious stuff, I have that *ahhhh* moment when I wear it.
That sums up my feelings about Alien, too. SmokeyToes, let me know if you want a little sample of Aura edt Sensuelle. I have a little decant I made for a co-worker who like it, but her DH did not. kclberry at nettynet scapie dot net.
Oh, Saturday, how I love thee.
Just finished a gorgeous multi-grain piece of toast with Belgium butter and raspberry jam. Sitting and chatting with my husband in a wisp of Gourmand Coquin.
1. No idea but there are a few new scents I’m eager to try including Matcha Meditation by MMM and Vanilla Planifolia by Chloe
2. Probably would vote off Libre which has grown overpowering for me (and my island partner)
3. Paris would be my fantasy vacation since I’ll not likely be traveling to Europe any time soon, and I’d bring Sycomore with me
Crocus photo has me eager for spring blooms in the parks!
That sounds like the best breakfast ever! Perfume included
1. I don’t have a fragrance in mind at the moment, but I am going sniffing this weekend. Who knows what I might find?
2. Leaving the island are Diorissimo and Infusion d’Iris. The Dior is too green on me and I like the Infusion d’Iris Absolue better than the edp.
3. I’m in paradise at the moment, but forgot to pack any perfume, hence the sniffing today and tomorrow. Wish me luck that I find something!
I hope you find a great perfume!
A friend recommended Infusion d’Iris Absolue after I’d found Infusion d’Iris quite meh, and ended up buying the former and not looking back.
Don’t know what’s up— I keep passing on considering an FB of Zoologist’s Bee, and then find myself squeezing the last drop out of my second (third?) decant. Pixel will tell me to order a travel spray ?. When I am not not considering Bee, there’s the possibility that I may purchase FBs of Freckled and Beautiful, or BDK’s Wood Jasmin, or Mizensir’s Luxury ( but the price of that one is a bit silly!). Off the island? Maybe Chinatown.
Girding myself for a walk this morning. It is cold and gray, but I need fresh air. The wild turkeys have again descended on my little neighborhood, which is always fun. Yesterday there was a huge one perched about 50’ up a redwood tree, chortling in that turkey way at passers by. It was so totally odd and wonderful. I took a video of it with my phone, but the bird is so high up you can’t really see it—but you can hear it.
Well, if you’ve gone thru 3 decants, I think you can justify a FB. I hereby give my permission
Ohhh Bee sounds great, it its anything like Bee´s Bliss then just go for it!
My “compromise” is that I put in a Mother’s Day order with my husband for the Zoologist five-pack of travel sprays: Snowy Owl, Civet, Camel, Musk Deer, and Bee. Sometimes in perfume, you have to compromise ???
Yes, I see you suffering there with your compromise
Gardenia by Chanel
1. I am troubling Hajusuuri for a sample of something, which if I love it could spark a larger sample.
2. None at the moment. Happy with what I have.
3. I would like to go anywhere where I can practice either my Italian or Moroccan Arabic.
I’m thinking next week because I can’t wait anymore ?.
I have been considering a fb of Gardenia by Chanel. Had it years ago and remember it being lovely.
Do you find that it has good lasting power??
In Fragonard Vanille lotion and perfume today…a successful blind buy. Vanilla, flowers and caramel.
Not sure there’s anything I want to add to my collection but I was perusing Luckyscent before bed last night (as one does ) and there are several new vanillas I want to try from the following houses: Obvious Parfums, Maison Tahite and Jousset Parfums. Curious if anyone has tried anything from these houses…all new to me.
Also looking forward to trying Kilian Love Extreme that a generous NSTer will share. I think it is a limited edition and I debated buying it blind but I generally buy blind if <$100…which is arbitrary math I have embraced though I may have made exceptions over the years…would have to think about that.
Then I was thinking about Kevin's article on sampling and how the costs add up…meh…I am under perfume budget right now for 2021 and haven't bought any samples I yet this year I don't think. I am not counting samples from Zoom perfume classes b/c those are "experiences" and would fall under an entertainment budget…which I don't have…but clearly not in my perfume budget.
Also has anyone sniffed Ambre A Levres by NEZ…that is a tempting blind buy from Luckyscent in my cart right now too…seems like a lot of fun for $35.
Notes are Florentine iris, rose absolute, violet, heliotrope, vanilla absolute, Pure Jungle Vanilla Essence, amber, benzoin, tonka bean, suede accord, musks
I haven’t sniffed it but it sounds lovely!
See, you are now enabling ?
I was looking at that one, too…they draw you in with story and notes and then you see the price and think, why not? It’s perfumemath free.
I LOVE Ambre a Levres – so much that I bought 3 bottles because I worried it would go away and I could easily give it as a gift (but probably won’t). And at that price, why not?
I will say that the smell of lipstick is a particular love of mine and this scent replicates it perfectly. It’s lovely and comforting at the same time.
Thanks for the intel! That is precisely the positive feedback I was looking for. ??
The other thing about sampling is that sometimes (for me) it’s not about seeing whether I want a full bottle. It’s about the adventure of getting to smell a creation that I never would otherwise get to try. Giving myself a sample budget helps a bit to keep it under control.
Yes, one could argue all samples should really be part of the entertainment budget…sampling is an activity to entertain oneself. Decide to buy the travel spray or FB? That would hit your perfume budget…I am not an accountant but it seems quite simple when you break it down.
Ha – yep!
I have Maison Tahite VaniXstasy (which is supposed to be Vanilla + Sandalwood). It is a very basic non-complicated vanilla with very light sandalwood. I use it layer with a couple of stronger ouds, but I am not impressed by it alone. Given your PhD in Vanilla, =) I think you will not be impressed
Thanks for this info! Yes, a thesis in vanilla of sorts.
I have 4 of the Maison Tahité scents, and Jousset’s Gourmand Bakhoor is delicious. I admit I did buy Kilian Love Extreme blind and zero regrets, it is wonderful. That Ambre à Levres looks good too.
Yay…thanks for the house intel! Yes, I have wondered how quickly the Love Extreme will sell out. And then so many good deals online w/ Saks/other places offering $50 off $200 or more etc. of late…they all feed the vanilla/gourmand obsession that lies within!
Most like to add — well travel sprays of Zoologist Sloth and Musk Deer are trundling their way towards me, so I suppose that qualifies. (Hi OF!)
Voted off — can’t seem to get rid of the E&J Nirvana Amethyst, lol, but I’ll keep trying… (anybody want it???)
Spring break vacation — ANYWHERE really, but I am most itching to go to Hawaii. I have visions of myself sitting on the patio at Kona Brewing, eating a delicious pizza and drinking one of their beers. I would bring TF Black Orchid, which, yeah, doesn’t go with pizza and beer but does go with Hawaii in general. Someday, once I get the vaccine…
Yesterday when I was out for a walk, I saw a pileated woodpecker up close. So cool.
Sloth and Musk Deer! You will smell great. I won a travel spray of Sloth and it lured me into purchasing a partial.
I will take your Nirvana, I didn’t request it so as to give others a chance, but I really liked the small rollerball I had.
It’s yours! I will ping you…
Commando so far, but my immediate area smells like coffee and bagels with cream cheese.
My poll answers:
To acquire – Chanel Paris-Deauville. I’ve been lemming it for over a year, and have yet go even smell it because pandemic-lockdown, and I’m nearly desperate enough to blind-buy a FB.
Off the island – probably Miller Harris Etui Noir. Its notes should be perfect for me, but it just hasn’t worked so far. I’ll give it one more wearing and then give up.
Fantasy vacation – oh man, like a lot of you I’m finding it really hard to imagine leaving the house for FUN, but I’ll give it a shot. How about a private villa in a little-known town on the Adriatic, with a dedicated cook and butler, a pool on a marble patio overlooking the ocean, and a fully stocked pantry and bar. I will bring my newly acquired vat of Paris-Deauville (hey, it’s fantasy, right?) and swan around in a handkerchief linen wrap and a big sunhat, watching Mr. G putter around in his sailboat out on the water. That would be FUN. ☀️ ? ? ?
Love swanning and puttering around. Sounds great!
I love swanning too. I have an old, ornately printed satin robe with a shawl collar and piping that’s just perfect for it.
Funny enough Paris-Deauville is my photo of the day.
Oh, MAN, that blind buy just gets more and more tempting! Lucasai, have you by any chance compared it with Azemour? Forgive me, I seem to remember asking this question before … but don’t remember the answer. I’ll pop over to your blog and see if there’s help there.
I do love Azemour but there are differences for sure. I have written about both before.
Your blog was very helpful – thank you! I can see that the two are both worth owning and different enough from one another that no “argument against” can be constructed on the basis of similarity, and so … the blind buy is all but a done deal. I hope you have a place for the enabler pin.
Do share when you decide to buy. And enjoy of course.
SheriG, I might be rude and hop along to join you on your fantasy vacay! Sounds perfect.
I’ll make sure to fantasize the villa with suites for the Gs and for you and Mr. Spicebomb too!
Very neighborly of you. Thank you!
Just post the address here, we’ll all go.
My fantasy-building skills are up to the task!
YAY, Robin! Glad you can join us!
Wow, I like your fantasy vacation style! I only got as far as naming the countries! Let’s all go to the Adriatic and have adjacent villas! Fully staffed, of course.
Wouldn’t that be a blast! Ah, if only …
Well, in new but not unexpected news (?), I just ordered the small bottle of Paris-Deauville. The Nordy’s website only has the large bottle, and while I could probably make use of all of that, I’m trying to be somewhat reasonable. Ambled over to the Chanel website and found that they take paypal AND they cover shipping, so a few clicks and it’s on its way!
I also am giving Etui Noir a re-wearing this morning, and it’s still not working. I do enjoy its interplay of iris and incense, but it has too much fruity (verging on frooty) something in the top notes, and once the top calms down the fragrance feels unfinished somehow. I’ll stick to Feu Secret for my iris-incense needs, and kick EN off the island for good.
Wearing Amouage Love Mimosa.
We are back to cold temps, but the sun is out. I am finishing my second cup of coffee and on my way out to run errands. Sushi and sake for dinner tonight. My older sister and I were able to schedule our first appointment for the Covid vaccine in two weeks. We are very excited we finally qualified for it.
1. I pulled the trigger last night on a full bottle of Boucheron Iris de Syracuse. I had been wearing it at night time for the past 3 days, from my decant and my mother, who never comments on my perfume, was saying all the time how nice it was (I am blaming her for this purchase). I love it, especially the drydown. I may offer some at the next Splitmeet, since it is a 120ml bottle that I will never finish myself.
2. I am voting Laurent Mazzone Ultimate Seduction Extrait de Parfum off the island. It is very similar to Chanel Coco Mademoiselle and I rarely wear it.
3. Right now, I would go anywhere. A trip to the beach, even for a couple of hours would be very refreshing and energizing. I will not bring any perfumes. I just want to enjoy the salty smell of the air and the ocean.
Happy weekend, everyone! ?
You smell fab!
Thank you! ?
Never tried Iris de Syracuse. Is it good?
It is a very nice musky iris, slightly sweet and powdery with a classic, elegant drydown. It is office friendly and wears close to my skin after 3 hours. Lovely!
Lucas, I would be very happy to send you some Iris de Syracuse. I can make a decant or send you some manufacturer’s samples. Please, let me know.
Really? Only if it’s not an issue for you.
Not at all! Let me know how to reach you or you can email me at monica67 at aol dot com.
Glad to hear you got Iris de Syracuse! At $100 from Fragrancenet, it’s very reasonable.
Thank you. Looks like you were also looking for it in FragranceNet ?.
I admit I did venture over there after your positive comments.
Ooh, how fun to have a new bottle on the way! Congratulations.
And I wanted to say “thank you” for mentioning a lotion for eczema a few weeks ago. I ordered some for my hubby and it finally arrived yesterday!
I am glad you order the lotion! It worked for my mother beautifully! I hope it works for your husband too!
Love the smell of the ocean and beach….
My favorite smell ever!
Congrats on your new bottle! As cazaubon said, the price is very reasonable for that size and does smell so lovely. It’s a great one for Spring!
Thanks! Nice and easy to wear!
Count me in for the split please!
I’d love to get in on the split too if you have room. I went through a manufactuer’s sample and was considering buying a bottle myself but decided I didn’t need a 4oz bottle. Seems like you found the sweet spot by doing a split!
Absolutely! I was thinking about waiting for the next Splitmeet to offer it, but I will post it when I receive the bottle, since there are already people interested.
Happy weekend to you too! Yes, the beach does wonders for the soul, especially during this pandemic. There’s something so calming and timeless about being near the ocean. We took our two daughters to a beach within driving distance for a week last summer, and it was so refreshing! Then we went to another favorite beach within driving distance two weeks ago, when it was spring break for my daughter who teaches. Her classroom is onsite, so it was her one chance to go somewhere, and her sister said she’d like to have a staycation with our house all to herself, so everyone was happy!
I am so glad you have had the opportunity to enjoy the beach during the pandemic. I used to spend lot of time at the beach before the pandemic, especially during summer and fall. I love to have long walks and read while there. It is the outdoor activity that I enjoy the most and that helps me relax, meditate and get some inner peace. After I get the vaccine I am planning to spend sometime by the ocean. I miss it a lot!
Congratulations on getting your vaccine appointments! With small town beaches and large state ones within ten minutes, you are welcome to stay and play for as long as you want! Bring Yei.?.
Thank you, Annie. My sister and I are both excited about the vaccine. Let’s see what summer is going to bring this year for us. I may stop by with Yei and enjoy the beaches there.
Most likely to add – my list of future purchases is growing! I’m saved from an actual purchase because I’m in an agony of indecision over which one I want most. I’m also still waiting to see what new things come in locally. So, my next addition could be Bengale Rouge, Taklamakan, Encens Satin, one of several Francesca Bianchis, and so on
Vote off – I’m very clear on this one. I bought a bottle of Tweed a few months ago, a drugstore cheapie that I bought based on first sniff, but the opening notes are very fleeting and it turns into nothing but musk. Not for me. It was something like $US10, so I really could throw it in the bin without guilt.
Spring break – anywhere! New Zealand is lovely and there is so much that I am yet to explore, but not being able to leave the country means I want to. Google keeps reminding me I was in Europe this time two years ago. I want to go back to Paris, and I wouldn’t take any perfume because I would spend so much time sniffing the things I can’t get here.
Get them all I say!
lol, my fantasy spring break trip is TO New Zealand! My mother was born there and I’ve never seen it. My husband and I have been talking for years about going on a long trip there and to Australia some day.
1) I would add Chilehead by Dame Perfumery or maybe Bronzed by Apothia. I just found some Apothia samples I’d forgotten about – I wonder why I never bought bottles of If and Bronzed? I really like them both.
2) I would vote off Mimosa and Cardamom by Jo Malone. It’s pretty but wow, I never reach for it.
3) Travel? I am craving deserts right now. I would love to go to Palm Springs or Sedona or Santa Fe.
Can I be a foster father for your Mimosa & Cardamom? ?
You two would be the best foster parents!
It would be lucky to have such a great foster father.
I thought your number three said “craving desserts right now. ”
I’m certainly in the mood for desserts and deserts at the moment.
I would be thrilled to eat some desserts in the desert with you!
I love the polls.
1. I’m trying to use up samples and mini’s and enjoy what I have. It’s been three years since I read Alyssa Harad’s book and started buying perfume. Time to pull back from the edge, I guess.
2. I voted off Fils de Dieu end of last year and I think PdE Yuzu Fou may go next. I bought it for my husband who feels the dry down is too feminine, but to me it is just a teeny, tiny bit too masculine.
3. I’d go anywhere. We have travel vouchers and flight vouchers, but international travel at present is so pesky. All these tests and certificates and quarantine rules. A friend’s husband had to go to Cuba on business, tested negative on departure, was told he tested positive when he landed there and was promptly loaded into an ambulance with a woman he said looked decidedly unwell and carted off to a government quarantine hotel where he was kept for five days until they apologized and said that he, in fact, did test negative in Cuba as well. I don’t think I have the disposition to deal with such things if you’re supposed to be on holiday. Work is work and a little different.
Sadly, the incident in Cuba not only put your friend’s life in danger, it’s also a way for possibly rewarding unscrupulous behavior.
Your friend’s story is terrifying. Geez, Amyitis, I hope you are doing well. ?
SOTD = Layering combination of Diptyque Tempo and Eau Duelle EDT
Patchouli and Vanilla? Anytime! Also, I’ve always thought my Eau Duelle was an EDP, but nope!
Split News – US only and fulfilled by mid-April:
– 5 or 10mL increments at cost like I usually do.
– No dibsing here please. Send me an email by clicking on the link to my username and include “Split / Perfume Name(s)” as part of the subject line. and how much you’re interested in
– Price per mL in ($) and add $4.50 for atomizer and shipping with new materials. All were bought at discount except for Irisque.
– Killian Love, don’t be shy Extreme ($4.80)
– Providence Perfume Co. Irisque ($3.50)
– Memo Paris Sintra ($3.19)
– BDK Tabac ROSE ($1.95) [Note: NOT Tabac Rouge as I previously posted.]
– L’AP Coleur Vanille ($1.54)
– Diana Vreeland Outrageous ($5.58), Parfum Absolu version of Daringly Different. I will split off in 2mL increments but only select this if you are getting something else.
– Thank you!
Such interesting splits. Wish I coukd hop on some…
I wish so too!
This is an awesome idea – to run a few splits this way. You inspired me
You also inspired my daughter who saw some of the owls on your insta feed. We will be doing a project together – a non-perfume lemming in your crown
Woo hoo! An enabler’s pin for Owlness ??.
I need to try Tempo again, it didn’t work for me the last time I tried it but still curious. Of course I could always use Montale Patchouli Leaves instead with Duelle.
I think patchouli and vanilla go very well together. I’m wondering what about Tempo did not work for you?
I’m not sure, only sniffed it once upon release. Will give it another go later this week when I go to Nordies. The 10x fragrance points starts Wednesday.
Okay, now I’m going to try my PR Patchouly with a vanilla fragrance and see if I’m singing a different tune.
You smell great, what a lovely combo! Tempo on its own doesn’t 100% work on me, but I could see how adding Duelle would be terrific. I have samples of both, I shall have to try!
Do report back! I used 2 more sprays of Eau Duelle (so 10 sprays altogether today).
BTW that owl nest is sooo cute!
Looks like your Tempo has turned a stunning shade of green in the bottle!
Indeed it does that. I couldn’t really tell that well as the bottle is smokey.
SotD Jardin Retrouvé Cuir de Russie. I am taking the train home for a long weekend to see Mr. Teebear and the cats(!!!), and to bring a few more things to Toronto than I could reasonably pack on short notice.
1. I’d truthfully just like to sample some more perfumes for the moment rather than adding anything to the FB shelves.
2. EldO Vierges et Toreros. I love it, but I can only make it work for me in very warm weather, and regret every time I try wearing it in cooler temps.
3. Japan (it’s been on the bucket list for years) and Yosh Sottile, which is beautiful but unobtrusive.
Enjoy your long weekend teebear!
yes to Japan! I’m gonna get there someday.
SotD = Nasomatto Narcotic Venus
This is one of those scents I would buy in an instant if money and storage space were limitless. I love the top and middle notes, it’s a delicious and realistic floral. And the bottle (that cap!) is fantastic, but the drydown goes a bit synthetic on me. Ah well, next please
The past week was nuts at my house, too many things going on. And I’m still at three-quarters speed since my first covid vaccination, so I missed posting. But I love springtime smells and was inspired by so many of the sotd choices. I wore La Chasse aux Papillons, Ostara, Paris-Riviera, and Parfums Delrae Debut.
First, I would add Bogue MEM to my perfume cupboard. Lavender is a favorite, and big florals make me happy. I’ve been hankering for a bottle for years.
Second, I would give up my bottle of Cartier Baiser Vole EdP. Sniffing it is wonderful, but if I wear even one spritz I’m nose blind for a couple days. The flip-top bottle and the name are so memorable, makes it hard to say good bye.
Third, I would go back to Bonaire or Curacao for at least three weeks. No itinerary, no formal sightseeing, no internet. Just swimming with the fish, wandering the shops, reading, eating, and sleeping.
Happy weekend, everyone. I wish us all good fortune as we spring forward.
I also have a bit of a strange feeling after using Baiser Volé, although it doesn’t make me nose blind for days. That would be really annoying! There’s something in it that’s just too much; maybe it’s the musk.
thanks for sharing your experience with BV. I’m glad I’m not the only one. It is very pretty when I sniff the bottle, but there must be something about the musk that turns my nose off, literally and figuratively
There was much conversation about anosmia and certain musks a few years ago. I don’t know much about it, but IIRC, folks found certain musks much more likely to have folks simply unable to smell them.
A vacation with no specific plans is the best! I did that when I went to London after a cruise. Well, I planned 2 things: a tour of Parliament (if I am not mistaken, can only be visited in the summer) and a day in Paris taking the EuroStar via a tour company which turned out to be much cheaper the closer to the travel date (I did not do any of the tour stuff).
I hope you’re soon back to 100%!
thank u, haju! I had a quiet Saturday, am feeling better this evening.
I’ve never been to the UK. Someday I will get there. I would like to find a little room to use as a homebase, then spend a few weeks wandering wherever the wind takes me.
SOTD is a spritz of Embers in one wrist and Iris Torrefie on my chest. It’s been a lazy day of just cleaning the house and cooking!
1- Splendiris is tempting me a lot but also Cuir Beluga or even Iris Ganache.. if I can escape to Paris at some point and get one of those beautiful bee bottles.
2- Chanel Beige.. unfortunately to me smells of Shampoo and aromachems.
3-I’d go to see my family in Spain first and then do a short perfumista trip to Paris. I would probably take a few samples!
I gave away Beige , I kept a small decant that I never use.
I don’t own Beige because I found that I strongly prefer it with the Chanel scent lotion stuff on my skin first, and I couldn’t justify the double purchase. With that first layer of lotion stuff (sorry, I forget what they call that–fragrance primer?), the scent was very pretty and less musky to my nose, but without it, it vroomed through the top and middle notes and went straight to the musk base, which is the least interesting part.
I have a travel spray of Splendiris…more expensive per mL but definitely worth it. I have Iris Ganache (FB and a 20mL travel spray) and Cuir Beluga (a FB plus a BUB).
Hi sistine, what a kind offer. Could you email me–just click on my screen name above to see my email. Then we can chat and perhaps swap.
Argh – sorry, wrong place.
Sotd is iri_del by Nomenclature – if it lasted longer on me, I’d be tempted to get a FB
1. Something Iris
2. A FB of Profumum Roma Patchouly. It was a impulse buy and though I like Patchouly and I recognize how well done it is, it just doesn’t work for me. I would love to split or swap it if anyone is interested.
3. Paris – re: fragrance – I would come empty handed and leave full handed.
Intrigued at what #1 could be!
#3 – make sure to bring bubble wrap!
Well…I’m looking forward to trying Irisque and I like L’Attesa but I might have to raid that place in Grasse where Francois Demarchy goes to get his orris concrete. I’m an addict!
I like your planning re Paris, lol!
SOTD is Guerlain Vetiver. I almost never wear this one, but I’m liking it’s soapy, grassiness today. Suits the sunshine we’re getting!
1. I didn’t buy myself that bottle of SSS Bee’s Bliss like I was thinking of doing last time they had a sale. Might talk myself into it this spring, as I’m sure it’s lovely in warm weather.
2. I’m sure there are many scents that I don’t give enough love to, to really justify their existence in my collection, but OTOH, there’s enough room for them in my perfume cabinet, so why bother getting rid of them?
3. This year my best teacher friend is retiring, and we have had a tradition in the past of spending spring break by the pool in Las Vegas. I’m sad we can’t do that this year, but in my imagination we are doing it one more time. Sunshine, a good book, silly food, and maybe a show in the evening. It’s a pretty perfect way to recharge before the end of the school year. I like wearing Prada Infusion d’Iris in the heat.
I’m with you on #2…
Having enough space really reduces my concerns related to much of this silly hobby of ours.
Vegas for spring break is a wonderful tradition.
Infusion d’Iris is one of my favorite scents for bedtime, especially in the summer.
Id’I has been a “sleeper favorite” of mine. When I want to wear *something* but not get in trouble at the doctor’s office, or when it’s very hot and I don’t want to be totally distracted from my fragrance, then I reach for it. It also seems to play well with suntan lotion and other odd, scented products that are more common in the summertime, so it gets worn A LOT on vacations to warm places! I travel with Id’I, Bronze Goddess and Lyric, and I have found that each one is good in many situations.
Wearing IA Slow Explosions, it’s a good transitional scent and it lasts for ages.
1. I want a travel spray of Zoologist Snowy Owl, Elephant or Dragonfly. I had samples of the last two but don’t remember which one I liked best and buying samples of all three is almost as much as a travel spray. The budget is too tight for more than one. Definitely a minor problem!
2. I have given my mother the last couple things I’d vote off so not sure now. Oh I know – I have a small bottle of Davidoff Zeno. Long story lol.
3. I want to go to San Luis Obispo and stay at Sycamore Springs (it was still under construction when we stayed there years ago.) Surf, sun, cool nights. I’ll buy my perfume somewhere in CA.
All this Snowy Owl love. I had dismissed it based on some reviews but it looks like it’s polarizing. If anything, there’s an owl on the packaging.
I’m one of the negatives on Snowy Owl. Not so much that it’s bad but it’s a nothing. Elephant is an extremely juicy green scent. Dragonfly was my favorite of these and I’ve now bought a FB.
I remember liking Dragonfly, but I ended up with a bottle of Elephant. I love it’s green twiggy-ness.
Wow, that resort looks amazing!!!
Hey everyone! Today I’m wearing a BBW body mist, I think it’s called raspberry lemonade.
1. I’m always looking to purchase something but for spring and summer I am still looking at Chanel Chance Eau Vive.
2. I could vote off a few. Lately, I’ve been thinking of letting go of Coco Noir. I like it, but everytime I wear it it doesn’t feel like me.
3. As usual, I don’t want to go anywhere. I would like to have time off though. My dream would be to leave my house in the morning and come home to see someone else had cleaned it, and spruced up my yard, and left pre made food for the week!
Fyi- jc penny Sephora’s are marking down a ton of merchandise in store, because Sephora is leaving and going to Kohl’s. I’m not sure about jc penny on line.
for the coco noir is it the EdP or Parfum? For Coco Noir, you should try the parfum, very beautiful
I have the edp. I do like it, I just don’t feel that comfortable in it.
Thanks for explaining what’s going on with the Sephora/JCP and Sephora/Kohl’s. It fills in some of the blanks.
I would love to try Bee and all the SSS samples.
I would happily give my Hiram Green perfume sample set to a new home.
They are excellent but didn’t love any.
Traveling would be to the mountains or Paris to eat and smell perfume!
When one can travel and we can arrange to meet (again!), I will get you the entire sample set.
The best perfume lover in the world. Yes, we shall meet again, this crazy world has to let us travel some day…
You are very sweet my dear.
I own 3 or 4 SSS scents, and I wore Nostalgie as my wedding fragrance. I was so sad when Laurie closed down shop (and sad for her that she hasn’t been feeling well and up to the task). I am so grateful that others have purchased her business and kept her beautiful scents available to the world! It makes me want a BUB of each of my faves, though, as I don’t want to go through that sadness ever again.
I had an unexpectedly fragrant Day. I went out to get some tea and ended up in Galeries Lafayette at the Dior counter. They carry all the private collection Diors and I ended up chatting to one of the SA’s who introduced me to a selection of it. I ended up buying a set of mini’s and had sprayed strips everywhere. It was truly enjoyable.
Other than that I am wearing Myths Woman in honour of all the daffodils in this world.
Considering today’s purchase I AM not buying anything else soon.
On my wishlist are: Akro Awake, Les Indémodables Cuir de Chine, Parle-moi de parfums Totally White, Neela Vermeire Bombay Bling, Ashoka and Niral, Guerlain Lui, Arquiste Ella, Oriza L Legend, Marions- Nous.
Nothing is leaving this particular island!
France, Nice in particular.
What a lovely day…enjoy your new perfumes! I’m joining you virtually in Nice ?
It was so nice to chat about perfumes and the SA was so charming.
Thinking of Nice, having a pastis somewhere followed by one of the great local specialties. And visit the Musée Biblique de Chagall.
Vicariously joining you at the Dior counter! And I really enjoyed visiting that Chagall museum many years ago. The collection and space are amazing. It was also a memorable trip because I had just purchased a bottle of Mandragore at the Annick Goutal boutique (which might have also been memorable for everyone within smelling distance!)
That’s a nice museum!
Your day sounds terrific! It’s nice that in-person fragrance shopping experiences are coming back.
Did you get the standard mini set of Dior? A couple years ago (gosh, felt like just yesterday), I bought the set when the SA allowed me to select the minis. I was so thrilled to be able to choose, and picked up more of the gourmand ones like Feve Delicieuse.
You should be set for the CP next week!
I have a sample of Bombay Bling, I would happily send it to you as I know you are based in Europe!
That is most kind, I already have sample of Bombay Bling, so no real need of another. But thank you again for offering!
SOTD – ADL Chinese Oud. I do not think my nose is trained enough to pick up on all the aspects of oud (like kafkaesque’s review). I like and enjoy it, but I hate the cap which is very spikey.
Off the island – quite a few candidates: Bond Chinatown needs to go. As well as some of the Tauers – something in the dry down bothers me. And Agent Provocateur – I used to like it, but now it is too much for me. And it is time to part with my Amouages – again, used to like them but they are not sitting well with me now.
Joining the islands – see below in Split news
Split News – US only and fulfilled first or second week of April. Following in hajusuri’s footsteps
– 5 or 10mL increments
– No dibsing here please. Send me an email to marianna_r at yahoo with what you are interested.
– Price per mL in ($) and add $5 for atomizer and shipping
– I can do 5 or 10 ml bottles.
1. Ormaie 28. 50 ml bottle with tax is $199, which comes to $3.98 ml
2. Ormaie L’Ivree Bleue 50 ml bottle with tax is $199, which comes to $3.98 ml
3. Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Perfume. $1.50 per ml
4. Bogue LITA $4.90 per ml
5. Looking to split Le Labo Ylang set of 3 10 ml travel spray. Set runs $165 + tax, so it comes to $63.80 (incl shipping) per spray
6. Puredistance Gold 60 ml bottle is $354 (incl tax), so it comes to $5.90
Cheers and Thanks
I have a smallish decant of Chinese Oud coming my way … have yet to read Kafka’s review.
Had no idea LITA was released last year.
Sounds like a winner.
It’s the most beautiful autumn morning. Clear , almost ‘pristine’ skies, and the low sun casting long dark shadows across the paddocks. Incredibly still and the birds are calling one another . The silver birch creates the softest dappled light in my room. Not wearing perfume at the moment as I’ve been pestered with nausea recently and am a bit low. Would love to go for a walk in the forest and check out the autumn sights: fungi and suchlike. Had a bit of a week as a scan picked up some lesions on my liver which could have been more tumours….but weren’t. Was kind of thinking about the end of days, ha ha. I start five weeks of radiotherapy tomorrow, 25 sessions.Then surgery. Such a beautiful, calming day. Just going to enjoy it. Enjoy your spring!
Oh, Kanuka, I didn’t know you had health problems. Very sorry to hear this. Very glad to hear that your liver was given the all clear.
I hope the radiotherapy and surgery go well. Thinking of you, and wishing you strength courage and patience for all that is to come.
Daffodils have just started showing in Luxembourg and I thought of you when I first noticed them. The proper announcers of spring.
I just found your post from January 30, where you announced your news. Nothing else to add, except I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it all goes well. All my best wishes!
Oh, kanuka, I didn’ see your original post. I’ll be thinking of you and sending love and best wishes. Stay strong and hopeful!
Sorry, I tagged on in the wrong place. ♥
And if you don’t feel strong and hopeful, we will feel it for you!
Nice to hear from you, Kanuka. I wish you the best for successful treatment!
How wonderful to see your post! I’ve been thinking of you every day and wishing you well. Thank you so much for writing. I hope your radiotherapy and surgery go well and you have a complete remission and return to health. Big hugs across the Pacific!
I’ve also been thinking about you, Kanuka. Its so nice to see your post today. Wishing you all the best!
It’s good to hear from you, Kanuka.
I’m sorry you’re going through this and sending you warm hugs and healing thoughts from afar.
May all your autumn days be just as beautiful and calming as today.
Sending best wishes and hugs.
I’ve been thinking about you Kanuka. Sending more best wishes!
Great to see you, Kanuka–best wishes on the road to restored health. Love birch trees and their dappled light too.
You have been frequently in my thoughts Kanuka. Just yesterday I told someone about the vegan strip club and your reaction. Sending you courage and fortitude for the coming days.
Glad to see you here today, Kanuka. I have had you in my prayers since your last post. Keep wishing you the best and sending hugs ?.
I’m so happy to hear from you, Kanuka! Enjoy your lovely autumn day, and best of luck with your upcoming treatments.
It’s so lovely to hear from you, Kanuka! I’ve missed your eloquent posts full of humor, kindness and a distinctive kinship with nature. I’m glad to know that you have such beauty to accompany you in your room, and the heart and spirit to embrace it. I think of you often, and am sending love, prayers and gentle hugs.
Hello Kanuka. Best wishes for your upcoming treatments. And enjoy your beautiful day!
Kanuka, I also think of you every day, and am so happy to see you post. All the best wishes to you!
May it be a long long time before you have to consider anything like ‘end of days’. And may we all have decades more to enjoy your evocative passages!
Kanuka, I’m so glad you popped in. I have been praying for you and wondering how you were doing. Best wishes for your therapy and surgery.
I left my note in the wrong spot! It’s nice to hear from you. I wish you all the best for a successful treatment.
Kanuka, 25 sessions must seem daunting and so I hope the 5 weeks just speed by…we are all thinking of you.
Oh no, I hope your radiation therapy goes as well as possible. It’s nice you can enjoy the beauty of the autumn day for now.
Also happy to see your post. Sending you strength and big hugs.
I’ve been wondering how you are – you have been in my thoughts often when I am outside. I hope your treatments go well and you start feeling better. Hugs to you.
I’m glad to know the lesions turned out not to be tumors — that must have been very scary for you. I’m sorry you’re going through all this. I hope the radiotherapy is very successful! You may know this, but talk to the nurses about how to care for your skin during and after radiation. When I had it 15 years ago, they were able to recommend (and prescribe) some creams that were very helpful. They also told me to get Crystal deodorant, which you can use during radiation unlike regular antiperspirant/deodorant. I was desperate! Hugs to you.
Thank you for taking your time to share your update. Lots of prayers are continuing your way. Particularly impressive is your positive light shining as an inspiration to appreciate the beauty in life. A gentle warrior. Best wishes for your radiation and surgery.
I’ve been wondering how you were doing since you last posted on NST, Kanuka. Good news that the lesions weren’t tumors! Sending you thoughts of strength and endurance as you ready for radiation treatments and surgery.
Joining the others to wish you lots of strength and stamina for those radiotherapy sessions and hope you’ll feel less low soon!
I’m continuing my iris fest with Lancome Iris Dragées. It’s nothing complex or fancy but so pleasant to wear.
For the questions:
Will probably buy the new Diptyque Orphéon this week for my birthday gift from the husband. Not sure what the dog will be getting me yet.
There’s several I could vote off, but as Marjorie Rose said, if you have enough room, why bother?
Travel – I am hoping to use my United voucher for a trip to Hawaii next spring. But this spring we will be heading to Vancouver Island to set up a new home base in Canada, which will be plenty exciting.
You smell lovely, Iris Dragées is so lovely! Your love of Orphéon has me very curious to try it.
ID has such a Beautiful Bottle!
Vancouver Island is lovely. Heads-up: Victoria has competitive gardening…
And I plan to participate! Very much looking forward to having a yard after being in a condo for so long.
There’s also some lovely fragrance culture in the Vancouver area! I happen to know from firsthand experience that a person can find wonderful people to wander about and sniff with up there.
I know Mr. Spicebomb wants to head back north when we can travel safely again. It would be fun to meet!
Yes, i’ve been in contact with a person in Vancouver who participates in local meetups, when the plague clears up I’m planning to join the group.
I had a meet up with the Vancouver peeps in 2017. There were more bottles (wine and perfume) than people ?
You were in Montreal , right?
Yes, that’s right.
You smell nice! Thanks for reminding me! I also have a United travel voucher which I must use by July 31, 2022.
That’s super exciting! I can’t wait to hear about your new home.
It will take a few months, but when I get settled I will give a full report. First we have all the Covid hoops to jump through to get across the border & quarantine, then get an apartment & do administrative paperwork, then figure out where we want to buy. But I hope by the end of summer to be in my new home!
Good luck with all the details!!
On top of my wishlist is Oriza L. Legrand Royal Oeillet
Voted off Terracotta – I never reach for it and always choose Nuxe le Parfum.
Venice and I would wear all my Krizia perfumes.
Had a lazy day after waking up too early, but managed to make more applesauce for dessert and wearing vintage Météorites which projects like crazy with just one spray on each wrist. I find I don’t need Misia while I have this.
Nuxe is also on my summer buy list, but I love terracotta too.
I’m so glad you like Nuxe too, I feel I should like Terracotta but because I enjoy Nuxe so much T. gets forgotten.
Hey guys. Well, I would love to add the ever elusive L’heure d’nuit but $. Lol. If one to be bumped it would be a cheapie TJX Dnky honey nectar. I only got it cause it was very discounted and it said honey on it..I knew it probably wasn’t gunna be a hit much but yeah not much a fan of it. Spring break fantasy, probably San Diego as long as it’s not raining lol. I would maybe bring another honey scent..not sure which. Maybe just something like a Lush body spray. I dnt have a Lush body spray so I would get one before I left for the vacay. Lol. After I got Ethel M Chocolates, of course.
Years ago I lived in the northeast US and a friend there went to San Diego for spring break. It rained every day of her trip. I felt awful since I had talked up the warm weather activities. She forgave me tho!
I swear the first few times I went to San Diego it rained.
Thunked my travel spray of JHaG Musc Invisible this morning.
I stopped at my favorite coffee shop on the way to work for a chai and was so excited to see the seating area open! The prospect of actually sitting in a coffee shop is very exciting to me.?
1. Hmm…I’m not really lemming anything at the moment. But I’ve been thinking about Eau Duelle or Maya Njie Vanilj or maybe Maison Louis Balincourt no. 4.
2. My collection is small so I wouldn’t vote any off but would vote to use up and not replace. I think next up is JM Lime Basil & Mandarin.
3. SLC to see my son! This may actually happen at the end of may, we shall see if all the stars align.? ONE fragrance? Either Tam Dao or 10CC, I’ll have to flip a coin.
Of course daylight savings would have to fall on my weekend to work. Tomorrow when my alarm goes off at 6, it will really be 5 for my body. Ugh. I can feel my Monday afternoon nap coming already, lol.
I hope you get to see your son! Does SLC mean Utah? Lol, I really don’t know. I could look it up, but it’s more fun to just ask. Sorry about work tomorrow!?
Lol, yeah, Salt Lake City?
I have learned more geography from NST than I ever did in school LOL ?
Good luck with work and the time change tomorrow!
I’m your drink twin today, enjoyed a lovely chai this morning.
Wearing Chanel Paris-Venise today; the trifecta of shower gel, body lotion and eaux.
1. Got a 2nd sample of Slowdive, which is glorious! Do I need 100 ml? Maybe!
2. I might have to vote off Ostara (sorry all you fans). I’ve tried it a few times, but I get the dreaded dirty vase-water note with this.
3. Would love to be back to Cocoa Beach in Florida! I’d take Bronze Goddess with me.
Sorry… but you do need a full bottle of Slowdive! ?
No need to apologize! It’s so good!
I got the same thing from Ostara. I think it’s one that definitely comes down to skin chemistry.
Thanks for confirming that it isn’t just me. I was a bit worried since there are so many fans.
Yep, dirty vase water for me too.
…and I got a plasticky aura from it…
Ostara was dire on me, thankfully I sampled first!
Slowdive is awesome, definitely FB worthy!
I totally j de rat and the vibe from Ostara and get that a bit too. But I kind of like it. I generally like dry, green scents. Ostara is so wet it intrigues me.
I swapped Ostara away…was pond water to my nose.
I looove Ostara and would love to swap it with you if you decide to give it a new home.
Curiously, I did not love Slowdive. I got the sample set and only loved Moon Bloom.
I own Slowdive, but I have to be up for it to wear it. It’s a heavy-hitter and sometimes I think it’s wearing me rather than the other way around. I like Moon Bloom and was grateful to get a travel size as a bonus when I bought my bottle of Slowdive.
Hi Gabriela, I’m in Canada. Where do you live?
I live in Spain Gail.
Oh dear, I think logistically it’s near impossible to swap.
If it makes you feel any better, Slowdive is sold in 50ml bottles, not 100ml. So not quite as daunting maybe. ?
You are correct! And I see what you did there..??
1) Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. I mean, if I absolutely need to add another FB to my collection.
2) Dream Angels Kiss. It is bland and uninspiring. I was telling y’all about the other two Angels that I liked; I have a few samples of this one and I have just been avoiding ’em.
3) Costa Rica, with some Sensuous in tow. Nice enough for home, but also exotic-y enough for a vacation.
Soup of the day is David Yurman – Exotic Essence. I had my doubts about this one but it turned out to be really nice. It stuck close to the skin but I could still smell it on me all day. 2 thumbs up!
Oh my…I think I have that David Yurman from a good number of years ago!
Hello from a beautiful day drenched in vintage Caleche edt. Mmmmm, so good…
I’m not really looking to buy perfume, but if I were, I’d seriously consider Dryad.
One of my Diptyques is being voted off the island, either Vetyverio or Volutes. They’re both perfectly nice, and I enjoy them well enough when I do wear them, but I never reach for them. I’d rather not take up the space, even though they are both fine.
As for travel…I’ve been saying that I will go anywhere! I miss traveling. So, it looks like (assuming vaccinations happen, etc.) my first trip for work will be in May, to Dearborn, Michigan. Hmmm, not quite the “anywhere” I’d had in mind, which had included Austin, TX, Rome and Venice, a possible return to Nicaragua or Mexico, or any of number of other possibilities. But I’ll take it!
You smell divine!
If I had Vetyverio, I would vote it off too. On scent strip, the top smelled good and nutty but soon turned into something that dead and decayed.
Oh, ick! Dead and decayed is waaaaaaay worse than anything I get. On me, it’s a perfectly nice floral with a bunch of vetiver in the base, and it’s completely fine, just not WOW.
Hey all! I got my first Covid shot yesterday, and I feel fine!
1. I’d like a bottle of Chanel no. 19. I don’t have any Chanels except a mini of Cristalle, which is lovely.
2. I’d vote off my huge bottle of Guess by Marciano. It was a free gift the SA offered to tempt me into a purchase, and it worked! The Guess is a sweet gourmand. I wear it every now and then to try to use it up, but I still have nearly all of it and it’s not my thing. Anyone want to trade?
3. I’d go nearly anywhere, I’m so longing to travel! I could go for a beach vacation somewhere warm, or an adventure vacation where I explore a new area and sniff all the local perfumes. And spend lots of time eating and wandering around, learning about the city or country.
Congrats on your first shot and on feeling no side effects! So happy to hear that.
woot woot! yay for your 1st shot in the arm.
I think everyone who gets one deserves a beach vacation.
Thank you! And, I agree!
Congrats on getting your first shot!
Which No. 19 are you looking for?
The eau de toilette is the only one I’ve tried, so that one!
Speaking of No. 19, for some reason I have been slow adopter, especially since I love iris.
Which version do you recommend?
I am very partial to the EDP. The current version is what I have.
I have used up a few fragrances by spritzing my bath water or using the scent as a room spray. Would the Guess be conducive to either of those uses?
Oh that’s a good idea! I’ll move it to the bathroom and see how it works in the bath and as a room spray.
I hope it works for you!
Yay for getting your first shot!
Happy Saturday, all!
I’m happy to report I survived my dental appointment yesterday and horrid week of 4 other medical appointments. I’m not entirely out of the woods yet, have to make sure my gums heal properly and the treatment worked, but I feel much better than I did last night, and I’m feeling positive. I’m wearing Bengale Rouge, it’s so amazing and smells more honeyed than usual on me today.
1. I’m not lusting after any full bottles, I just bought myself Iris Torrefie for my upcoming birthday. But there are so many things I want to sample, it would probably cost as much as a full bottle to add up all the samples I want to buy! Les Indemodables discovery set is still on my wish list. In general, I’m also on a quest to discover more incense fragrances, I really want to try CDG Kyoto and Ouarzazate.
2. I don’t really have any bottles I’d like to boot off, but I feel like I could easily split away many portions of my bottles readily! I do have an almost full bottle of Beige EDT that I feel deserves much more love than I give it, since it’s the harder to find EDT formulation.
3. I would love to go to Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto). And I’d take my newly discovered incense fragrance, or else Le Labo Gaiac.
I’m an iris fan and a Guerlain fangirl.
Iris Torrefie sounds like the perfect birthday treat!
Japan is on my wish list, too
No perfumes to add to my collection for the foreseeable future…
I’m sad to say that Mimosa Pour Moi – last year’s birthday present to myself would be voted off. It would be one of my favourite florals if it didn’t make my eyes water and my sinuses seize up.
My dream trip is always and only to see the Northern Lights at whichever time they are destined to appear. I will take with Memo’s Winter Palace which will fall into my lap together with the plane ticket ?
You and AnnieA should get together!
I thought so too, but we are on different continents I think and postage of perfume – especially a whole bottle does not seem possible
Maybe fantasy vacation for you ?
Scent for a little while in the late afternoon: Some generous sprays of SL A la Nuit, as a belated nod to the jasmines I try to keep alive over the winter. Then I had to wash it off before dinner. Dad kept coughing anyway. There was some left on the sleeves of my hoodie, enough so I noticed. I’m not sure if Dad consciously noticed, but his respiratory system reacted anyway.
Fragrance I want…lots, but I’ll narrow it down at the moment to Jo Malone Red Roses. If only those little bottles weren’t so darned expensive. It’s one of the older Jo Malone fragrances, too, so I don’t see it around as much as the ones introduced in more recent years.
Fragrance to vote off: I’ve gotten a few (relatively inexpensive) bottles of perfume or cologne here and there to try, though the vast majority of what I have is samples, and I like a lot of the samples I’ve been able to try. I got a mini of CK One to try it, and thought it was okay, but wasn’t in love with it. That could go. Also, I got a travel roll-on of Fresh Sugar Lemon fragrance, which to me smells unfortunately like a cleaning product.
Sometime once we’ve been vaccinated (someday!), I should drop my off-the-island little bottles off with Robin, and let her do what she wishes with them. I haven’t had the “spoons” to go to a post office to send off samples or bottles of anything that needs to travel specially, but there are things others might like, or like to try, and Robin knows people. (lol!) I thought about this again when Robin recently asked about Tommy Hilfiger “The Girl,” which I have a sample of that I decided was a vote-off-the-island thing for me.
A few weeks ago (?) there was talk of a traveling box of samples, which I thought was an interesting idea, but, again, did not have the “spoons” (energy/mental capacity, etc.) to contribute to.
Fantasy vacation: I’ve never been to Europe. There are many sites in Great Britain I’d like to see, and a lot of historic places, gardens, and museums on the Continent that I’d like to explore in person, also. Closer to home, I’d like to see the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
Slightly closer yet, Dad hadn’t heard of that iris garden in Montclair, NJ, but I was interested in seeing it someday. I’ve got to ask his sisters if they’ve heard of the iris garden. The younger (youngest of his siblings) has lived in New Jersey all her life, and the sister closer to Dad in age moved to New York a couple of years ago, but spent much of her life in New Jersey.
Take care, folks!
If I can find my bottle of Red Roses, I will send you a decant. It’s a 100mLs bottle and there’s plenty to share.
That would be very nice. I could send you money, or donate to the local food bank again, however you want to do it. I’m sure the food pantry is still staying busy, is my thought.
Have a good night!
No need but thanks for offering. I have to find the bottle.
I forgot to say, very pretty picture of crocuses! I enjoy so many of the pictures Robin finds. The Tuesday teapot was very cute, also.
I especially liked the pattern.
Also belatedly, I’m noting down some late-night experiments with floral scents this past week.
Wednesday was my rose fragrance day. I put some drops of rose otto in jojoba oil on my hands in the late evening. I’d found that at Whole Foods, back when you could still sniff the sample bottles of their essential oils, so sometime in 2019 or so? It was very strong, though it was a fragrance I like. Next time I’d dilute it a whole lot more. The label listed the rose otto as being that of the Rosa damascena, if I remember correctly.
Thousands and thousands of rose petals to make a relatively small amount of rose attar, as I’m sure you’ve all heard about. At bedtime, after I washed my hands enough times to wash the rose otto off, I put on a bit of perfume from the Institut Tres Bien. Rose de Mai is pretty, but I think my nose was rather burned out from the rose otto. I believe Rose de Mai refers to Centifolia roses, but don’t quote me. (lol)
Friday at bedtime, I put on a few drops of FM En Passant, because at least I grow irises. I’ve never tried to grow oranges and such.
*Oops! Reference to En Passant should have been “at least I grow lilacs.”
Scented lotion is a great way to wear perfume but fly “under the radar”.
Neyronrose, I am the last person who should take your bottles…I take forever to drag myself to the PO even when there is no pandemic! During the pandemic, I’m not going there at all.
I honestly can’t think of something I want to add right now. Too focused on household spending.
I think I’d vote off SJP Lovely (because I never wear it), IA The Soft Lawn and possibly Yosh Sottile.
Fantasy Spring break trip? Someone on a call earlier today mentioned the Serengeti. I think that sounds like a good idea.
Hey LizzieB! I drove today (these days, only on the weekends). There is a light that states Passenger side Airbag OFF. I usually have mask stuff on that seat but I will sit there tomorrow and see if the light turns off. Did you get your checked out?
I did take it in. They “re-initialized” the system (is that the same as rebooted?). Took care of it. It’s now back in its garage.
Thank goodness for safety features. I and the rear camera didn’t see a guy who was loading lumber into his car in the Home Depot parking lot. Camera finally caught him and slammed on the brakes for me. I swear…parking lots are death traps. They are what terrify me.
When I replaced my car battery (AAA), I had to take it in to have it rebooted! I’ll have them check the light the next time I go in for an oil change.
The camera and its effect are life savers for sure – I’m no ? but neither are drivers who probably shouldn’t be driving.
I’m in the unusual state of not wanting anything new. I have an order coming from Luckyscent of lemon blossom perfume samples and might develop a lemming after I try those.
I’ve got some Muglers I should vote off the island, since I find them obnoxious now. Including Aura.
Not seeking any spring break travel either. What’s wrong with me? Paranoia has become a deeply engrained habit. On my bucket list for a bit later on: Ecuador and the Galapagos.
Today I wore several sprays of Bee from a sample. Previously, I hadn’t particularly enjoyed it. It seems now it’s a scent that blooms in the heat. We have 70s and humidity now. When I went out for a walk and things got sticky, I kept smelling it and feeling surprised because I thought I was smelling Amoureuse (which I just wore for the CP yesterday). That was weird! Comparing notes there’s quite a bit in common, the honey foremost of course, but also white florals, orange, and sandalwood. This was an interesting discovery to me.
I’m going nuts trying to finish an article. I wonder whether I’m losing my ability to write at all or maybe my entire mind. Frustrating.
I’ve noticed that I’ve lost my ability to concentrate on grading and giving feedback, which is definitely concerning. I have no idea why.
I wore Bee today due to several mentions this weekend, including yours. I used my usual dosage.
Do you still have a passion for your article topic? Maybe just set it aside for now?
Yes I do, actually. I think I want it to be so good, that I’m getting frustrated by not yet being there. And the deadline is a serious one. Fortunately after a lot of napping today, I got further along with it this evening.
I saw you had worn Bee. Do you like it? I won’t be buying a bottle, though I like it more than I did at first.
I love it ?!
Glad you got your mojo back.
How to plan for travel per the NY Times:
It’s enough for me to retreat from planning travel at least for the greater part of this year.
I’m not going anywhere this year… too complicated.
Same … 2022, we’ll see. I do miss traveling.
1. What’s the fragrance you’d most like to add to your collection this spring? – I got my bottle of Byredo Mixed emotions yesterday, after wearing a sample for a week. A new Byredo is always an event for me, and I love a big cassis note, so I’m very pleased now. Next might be Malin + Goetz Strawberry. I’m also on the hunt for a new bottle of Ambre Blends Invoke, but it seems impossible to get within the EU.
2. You have to vote one perfume in your collection off the island. Which one will go first, and why? – Might be my backup bottle of Jo Malone Mimosa cardamom. I used up an entire 30 ml over December-January, and it was very gentle and comforting in the horribly bad weather, but now I have a suspicion that it has come to be a reminder of the worst times in the pandemic for me.
3. It’s time for (fantasy) Spring Break! Where are you going, and pick ONE fragrance to bring with you. – I’m going to the south of France, smelling great in Kurkdijan A la rose.
#2 – maybe give it some time and wear it when you’re plann8ng something happy
Thank you, that is good advice. I’ll do that.
1. I’ve got a lot of lemmings going on… I’m in an ‘acquisition’ phase, rather than a ‘divesting’ phase lately. Anyone else?
Dryad is beautiful, and back in stock at Indigo.
2. Aromatics Elixir would have to go. Over the years I keep buying it then swapping it. I’ll just never get through a bottle!
3. Travel… how strange! I normally like active, city-based vacations, but after this year, I just want to lounge around and do nothing. Maybe a tricked out cabin with a mountain view and a lake to swim in.
Dryad is indeed beautiful! Glad to know Indigo has it again; that’s where I bought my bottle a few years ago.
1. What’s the fragrance you’d most like to add to your collection this spring?
It’s a toss-up between Snowy Owl, by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz for Zoologist, and Papillon Perfumery’s upcoming Spell 125, to be released this summer (but already being reviewed). Runner-up: Atelier des Ors’ Nuda Veritas, which I reviewed two years ago after a visit to their office in Cannes, thanks to blogger Megan in Sainte Maxime! I have a decant of its sibling Choeur des Anges, thanks to a kind NSTer, so that itch has been scratched for now.
2. You have to vote one perfume in your collection off the island. Which one will go first, and why?
Hanae Mori, by Hanae Mori. It just doesn’t smell good to me on my skin, though I know some people really enjoy it. Luckily, I only have a travel size.
3. It’s time for (fantasy) Spring Break! Where are you going, and pick ONE fragrance to bring with you.
I’m going to New Zealand and Australia for my fantasy spring break! It would be autumn there, I think? So I’ll pick my recent love, vintage Dioressence, which is lovely during transitional seasons like spring and fall.
Anxiously awaiting Spell 125!
My SOTD is Safran Troublant. It’s so awesome – glad I grabbed a bottle!
This is a shallow complaint, but since I had to start wearing a mask all day at work (4 weeks ago), I have developed such a case of maskne. Sigh. I’m almost 45. Trying very hard not to act like my typical self, which would be me panicking, buying 30 new products and throwing them all at my face at once.
But this will pass eventually. And it’s such a small price to pay to be able to have students in my classroom.
Ouch. Are you on Reddit? You can search for maskne and there are suggestions on how to alleviate and / or prevent.
Oh, that’s a great suggestion! Off to look.
You smell great, I love Safran Troublant!
I’m also turning 45 very soon!! Hey, at least the masks cover up the acne, right?!
Woot! 1976 twins!
Do you have to wear a specific mask (disposable) for work or could you wear a fabric mask that might irritate your skin less? I don’t have to wear a mask for a solid 8 hours regularly but when I do, the cotton masks are fine for me. They feel less hot , too, compared to disposable ones.
After wearing Clinique Wrappings for a few nights, I finally reviewed it last night and was able to switch to Chergui last night. Still in Chergui since I am still lounging around.
That windfall is coming this week and I am so excited. I should be able to get that bottle of Coromandel that I’ve wanted for so long. I am making myself wait united next week. Jake’s fatty tumor surgery and finishing off that one credit card comes first before I can get Coromandel.
I think I will wear Amouage Lyric today and save Coromandel for tomorrow.
How’s Jake feeling?
Super happy the money is coming to help and alleviate the stress. That bottle is well-deserved, Dawn!
SOTD = Zoologist Bee
Methinks this will be thunked this year! BUB waiting in the wings!
In other news, if you are a Target shopper, all fragrances are 30% off in March 21. Target carries Pacifica, just sayin’. ?
Is this scent like Slowdive? Or more like SSS Bee’s Bliss? I loved Slowdive, but felt just ok about Bee’s bliss.
Zoologist is thick syrupy musky honey vanilla whereas Bee’s Bliss is lighter, fruitier and nutty with hay / tobacco-like facets. I haven’t worn Slowdive in a while and will need to wear it again to compare but IIRC, it’s nowhere near either one.
Thanks for the comparison! Sounds like Bee’s Bliss is a better match for me between those two per your description!
You are The Enabler. ?
I am in a sample of Passage d’Enfer. I like it ok but not FBW.
I am NOT liking the time change back to daylight savings, such a nuisance to change the clocks all over the house and I just don’t think changing the time is worth it and I think the US should pick one time and stick with it. I am gearing up for covering for a colleague on vacation next week and I need all the rest I can get.
1) No major hankerings for new full bottle currently. I was browsing DS and Durga, tempted by the offerings. I almost always buy samples before getting a bottle, since I am trying to limit acquisitions to 2 bottles a year. The DS and Durga scents look good. I know $40 may be pricey for a sample pack of 4 but might be “entertainment” as some have noted and keeps me from spending money on full bottles of perfumes I end up not liking much.
2) Voted off the island would be Eccentric Molecule 1. Husband HATES it. I really don’t like it much either but I LOVE Escentric Molecule 2, which, fortunately, husband likes ok.
3) Travel. I was reviewing the comments on international travel – ugh, could not face the hassle of it all. But there are so many good places to go here in the US. I was supposed to go to Las Vegas a year ago when the pandemic hit and would like to go just to see what it is all about. I went to Marfa, TX a few years ago, we just hung around and looked at art and museums, enjoyed the sun. I would not mind another jaunt there.
Sadly, I think my next vacation will be spent getting my tax documents together and doing chores around the house, with some much needed down time (reading, watching movies, eating) mixed it.
Tested the new Dior Tobacolor last night and can still smell it this morning. Sillage and longevity are off the charts, my 30ml decant will be a lifetime supply. Big fruity tobacco, with a strong whiff of Baccarat Rouge 540 in the far drydown, they must use the same nuclear aromachemical. Smells somewhat like Kilian Black Phantom but BP is nicer and easier to wear for me. I’m going to shower and wear BP.
Dream Angels Divine today. I said what the heck I’ll wear the other Angel this week while I am at it, then I’ll be done with them for a while. I still like it. Nice and powdery, i just wish it lasted longer.
1. Adding to the collection? Chai, a true fir, foresty scent, ALTAI Wonder of You, Profumum Patchouli and Olibum, Masaki ,Matsushima Mat and Shiro, A.nother, several, Halfeti, Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille. So many!
2. Off the island? I’m doing that now. Boatloads of samples. TF Black Orchid, bottles of vintage Giorgio, Emeraude, Evening in Paris, Chloe and I have a lot of digging to do! Newerish Tocca Florence, Body Shop Honey, bub of Commodity Leather, TF Tuscan Leather, Serge Clair Musc, lots. I have quite a few bubs I really don’t need and I just have to weed through everything.
I am very tempted to pull the trigger on SL Filles de Berlin travel spray. And Montale Aoud Forest. Not sure which fits that foresty flavor better, but definitely open to suggestions.
Travel? New York, without a doubt. I can’t wait to hold my cousin’s baby and see my family. Ideally, we’d have a great big get together in Queens to celebrate and hug. Of course, this is prime opportunity to get together with my dear friend, as well.
Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I have to reapply, I can’t even remember what I started with. ?
Hi there, re: your #1, I have a (basically) FB of Profumum Roma Patchouly that I voted off the island. It was an expensive impulse purchase and it just hasn’t worked for me.
I’d love to swap it for something I would actually wear.
My email is username at gee male dot com.
I hope I have something you will love!?
Thanks for getting in touch!!!
Hope you can do the NY trip soon. Things are opening up here again. With weather starting to warm up, the dining choices are great now with both outside and indoor quite available.
Hello there NST! This year’s “Spring Ahead” kicked my butt. Not only did I forget to change the clocks last night, but I didn’t get up until after 11am this morning. Still not sure which end is up…
Onto the poll questions!
1. Not really yearning for anything right now. It’s a rather nice sensation. However, if a bottle could magically appear in my perfume wardrobe, it would probably be either Tauer’s Le Maroc pour Elle, or LAdDM.
2. Off the island? I have a bottle of the original formulation of Escada’s Rockin’ Rio. My tolerance for sweet perfumes has decreased in the past couple of years.
3. Spring Break/ Fantasy Vacation? No fantasy travel for me. Unfortunately, I will probably be getting on an airplane next month. Mr. Jalapeno’s mom is NOT doing well either physically or mentally. She was diagnosed with dementia at the same time my mom was.
SOTWeekend = Mon Guerlain EdT.
Sorry to hear about your mother in law and safe travels when you go see her!
Oh no! Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Does Mr. Jalapeño have family near his mom?
Super late to the poll (I’m avoiding dinner decisions). Fun to read all the answers!
1. I have a couple of bottles/samples I am eyeing. First up is the Les Indemodables sample set, which I’m pretty much about to buy. My other FB plans/dreams include Slowdive, and I’m starting to really like Ambre Russe by PDE. Plus Chanel’s Paris Venise, which works better for warmer weather. And Bois D’Ombrie. But none of these are super urgent for me.
2. Off the island: My swap box is full of stuff…
3. Fantasy vacation: Crossing the Alps on foot. A friend of mine in Germany was planning to do that this summer, and I got really interested in it. But as long as quarantine rules etc. are unclear, we can’t commit to any plans. Real vacation: Santa Monica, in just under two weeks, for a 4 day spring break trip with the family!