PSA: If you live in a daylight savings zone, don't forget to change your clocks tonight!
Meanwhile, a variation on a poll we did the last two years. As always, answer as many or as few as you like, or just talk about something else. If it's spring where you live, adjust the questions accordingly.
1. What's the fragrance you'd most like to add to your collection this fall?
2. You have to vote one perfume in your collection off the island. Which one will go first, and why?
3. It's time for a (fantasy) fall getaway! Where are you going, and pick ONE fragrance to bring with you.
Note: top image is due tra le tante [cropped] by g_u at flickr; some rights reserved.
1) oh, I’m lemming a lot of perfumes but have no plans to add anything new to my humble few.
2) MFK Cologne pour le Soir. I don’t dislike it, just rarely reach for it. And don’t you know, I have a honkin’ size bottle of it.
3a) I would like to take an educational tour of ALL of Europe, led by an erudite scholar who can give me the lowdown on all the European history I don’t know, which amounts to a whole lot.
3b) The flipside is of that is to time travel (this is fantasy, right?) back to the days when the North American landmass was just beginning to be inhabited by a bipedal population. Wowzers! What a sight to see?
SOTD is the last vestiges of l’Elephant still lingering on my flannel shirt from yesterday.
Happy Weekend, Perfume People!
i’d follow you on 3a… you smell great!
Glad to have your company! Pretty sure 3b will be a solo trip??
Yeah, I wanted to go for about a nanosecond then though, nah, not really.
Your 3b option is interesting. You could wear T Rex for this ?
I’d like to get some MFK Oud Satin Mood, although probably just a travel spray, as I have a travel Baccarat Rouge 540 and that is plenty.
Perhaps the Bulgari black tea would be voted off, mainly because the spray isn’t working properly and I am getting a stream instead, so I don’t wear it.
Vacation? Oh, how about Monte Carlo or some sort of resort with fancy gambling places, where I could wear said Baccarat Rouge 540 in its natural habitat.
Drat, there must be some way to fix that spray!
I would aim the stream into an atomizer.
A very sensible suggestion, which I’ve just put into effect. In the midst of filling the decant the little darling decided to right itself, so now I have the original bottle back in order as well as a decant for the office.
Also, since I got the black tea all over one hand I decided to do a spritz-off and put some Cuir d’Ange on the other arm. Bulgari is skewing more masculine at the moment.
Of all of the MLK oud scents I do believe I liked Satin Mood the most. .good choice:)
RIP Barneys, I loved your perfume corner.
1. i am intrigued by Roberto – Greco Oeilleres, though i probably don’t need a full bottle.
2. sigh, too many that are languishing SJP Stash (a bit too much for me), Bruno Fazzolari Fontevraud (the guava note bugs me), Bvlgari Black (turns like i don’t like burnt rubber), Jo Malone Black Cedarwood & Juniper (it’s oddly sweet) and several more.. i should sell/swap these before the year ends
3. It is so cold already, I want to go somewhere warm like Maui. I’d bring something light and tropical, like Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom or Arielle Shoshanna Saturday.
Saturday in Hawaii is an excellent idea!
It is a shame about Barneys.
I don’t live in a town with a Barneys and I rarely venture into NY anymore, but the department store I miss the most is Takashimaya — it was such a lovely store, so peaceful (which Barneys wasn’t meant to be, and wasn’t), no sales pressure or anybody offering to “fix” whatever problem they saw in your complexion, and had such an unusual range of perfume brands.
I loved shopping at Takshimaya too! It felt like a little piece of Japan had run away from home to live in New York City.
oh that sounds wonderful, i wish i’d experienced Takashiyama!
Oh geez, had no idea they filed chapter 11..?. The one is SF was great..especially the perfume section:).
agreed. i loved shopping for perfume there or just trying things out, such a great selection. and much nicer sales staff than nordstrom near it…
Yes sales staff was excellent..and was good about giving samples. I much prefer Barney’s over Nordies in general.:/ Too bad so sad lol.
I also loved the SF perfume section! Many years ago a SA gave me a mountain of FM samples that was one of the main reasons i started exploring more and more scents.
Hello everyone. We’ve changed our clocks last Sunday in Poland. Funny that the world is not doing this at the same time.
1. Stephane Humbert Lucas Khol de Bahrein would have been great.
2. Nishane Fan Your Flames, coconut rum just doesn’t work for me.
3. I’d like to visits Nordic fjords and wear my new Memo Winter Palace there.
Today I’m wearing Atelier Cologne Santal Carmin. I also sprayed some Jul et Mad Stairway to Heaven as I’m writing a review for next week.
I’ve been on a Norwegian Fjords cruise via Holland America. It was a short 7-day cruise but so beautiful. I need to find my pics and showcase them on Instagram.
On the time change, my vote would be to get rid of it altogether!
I rememeber you visited the fjords. In European Union we will be saying goodbye to time change soon.
I would like to get rid of the time change as well!
Seriously, enough already! I can’t believe we are still doing this.
I’m glad soon we won’t.
Seconded, third-ed. and fourthed!! The time change is really quite silly and no longer necessary.
Also on the “throw it out!” crew re: the time change. Pick one or the other and stick with it! ⏰
Yes! I agree Hajusuuri, I am always so sad when we fall ‘back’.
You smell great lucasai!
1. Cedre Sambac! Though I’m working am estate sale today and I think I’m going to add one or two after the day is done. I already grabbed a bottle of Opium EdT from the 90’s.
2. Hard call. I have a bottle of a famous EdC that I never ever wear ago maybe that. I don’t have time for a short-lived cologne, I guess.
3. Let’s go to Morocco! I feel like the only perfume that could accompany me would be El Attarine, but if anyone has any FdB parfum rattling around for my fantasy trip, that might be even better!
I’m in Piment Brulant today and it is the perfect accompaniment to the nip in the air.
You will be smelling so good in that Opium! Don’t forget to tell us what else you pick up!
Just one more: Safari parfum. The bottle is so gorgeous, with a flip top to reveal the dab crystal. The perfume is so dense and green, like a forest. Different but not from the normal concentration.
1. I’m guessing I will want to add a 30 ml bottle of L’Air du Temps to take it with me everywhere, since I’m so in love with it, I can’t think about any other fragrance and 100 ml bottles are too heavy to drag around (If you say it’s not fair, then I won’t mind original Miss Dior preferably in parfum form)
2. 31 Rue Cambon – it is too loud for me! I love Cuir de Russie and La Pausa, but Cambon is too much for me
3. I would like to visit The Kuril Islands and I’ll probably wear Vol de Nuit there, since the flight is 11+ hours, and Vol de Nuit is my favorite fragrance for flying and for any dangerous and difficult situations in life
How funny, I almost said L’Air du Temps for the heave ho! I have a 100ml vintage bottle that I wore exactly once.
I bought a big decant of 31 Rue Cambon after years and years of wanting it. It is my favorite Exclusif so far.
We could almost annihilate at this moment! like two opposite particles
Ha, if it was that easy there would be very few of us left
Ha, I’m sure we overlap somewhere. But more for each of us on these two.
For my nose L’air du Temps is perfume perfection. I love it.
LdT always reminds me of you ?
1. Lemming now? Nothing comes to mind, but I’m sure my mind will remedy that in short order, it always does, lol
2. I’m swapping summer for winter perfumes today (though it’s warm enough I’m wearing shorts. A girl can dream.) So I will probably have a few to eject once this task is complete. But for sure, Jo Malone White Moss & Snowdrop, I have tried to like this one too many times. Life is too short to bother with a perfume that you’re trying to like.
3. I’m going to Hawaii in a month, does that count? Bronze Goddess for sure on that trip.
… another week crossed off on my way to retirement. Sadly there are still more than 20 to go so it doesn’t feel imminent. I decided to make a list of something I won’t miss about work. Just one thing each week to keep the list short This week’s thing: 7 am meetings. 7 am meetings where the audio works but the video doesn’t. 7 am meetings where IT tells me to press F5 to fix the video; it doesn’t, instead it kills the audio too. >.<
Hawaii would be my choice as well. And I always take Bronze Goddess with me when I go there.
Splitmeet is still going on! I have 5mLs of Winter Palace left so dibs on the Splitmeet thread.
Also, I finally got hold of Hermes. The 4 pack Hermessence set is still available and it can include multiples of the same perfume. Get thee to the Splitmeet page to dibs and send me an email. I am splitting up to 3 sets so can have either 4, 8 or 12 spots. I will be the back-up.
Link to the Splitmeet
1. FB hankering – Nothing right this very minute but I am very curious about the Francesca Bianchi scents as it’s gotten a lot of love here and on Instagram. I have mountains of samples but why not…
2. Vote off the Island – whatever it is will go on the next Freebiemeet or a regulars only post.
3. Fantasy vacation and perfume – not a fantasy…I’m going to Mexico City in late December and will celebrate New Year’s there! I have not chosen a fragrance (or fragrances) yet but would be happy to take suggestions. I will already have No.5 EDT and No.19 EDP in the bag already, literally, as they live in my suitcase ?.
Nice way to ring in the new year! I’ll wave to you from across the Gulf of Mexico ??
I’m so happy that you’ll have your own Winter Palace now. I still can’t believe I got a full bottle in the swapmeet.
Hermessence sets are such a good deal. Last year I split one to get Agar Ebene. Might do this again sometime as Myrrhe Eglantine grew on me over time. And Cardamusk is gorgeous though way out of my price range.
Mmm Christmas in Mexico, I automatically think of Mexican hot cocoa that has cinnamon or horchata.
For cinnamon chocolate, there’s Noir Aphrodisique by Kilian for a more budget-friendly, there’s Mexican Cocoa by Pacifica.
Sí by Armani
I like this but it’s not long lasting
Maybe I am not spraying enough
Farmers market , reading (a new book The Last Mrs Parrish)
Try the intense version if you can. It lasts alot longer.
1. I’d love to add Musc Ravageur body oil to my collection, mostly for medicinal purposes. Dry skin, ya know? ?
2. I’d vote off either Maria Candida Gentile Gershwin or my big bottle of Dame Mate, Heliotrope & Patchouli. The MCG was a failed blind buy. I ordered the Dame about a year after I first sampled it, and I just didn’t like it as much as I remembered. The nose is a fickle thing. If anyone is yearning for either of these, let me know!
3. Oh, I shall shamelessly copy pixel, and name Kauai as my fall getaway. It’s beautiful there this time of year, warm sun and cool breezes. Acqua di Parma Colonia for quite, solitary walks on the beach.
I started out the morning in Fresh Cream Warm Cashmere for walking the pupper, and will probably stay with it for the remainder of the day. Happy Saturday everyone! ?
I would love to add that body oil to my collection too! Maybe you could write it off on your taxes, since it would be for medicinal purposes and all.?
If only that were possible!
Yes I am all for the dry skin reason. I am in a dry climate..maybe I should have two Musc body oils. Lol.
1. Interested in Cognoscenti Warm Carrot. Has anyone tried it? Your thoughts??
2. Voting off the island – Girl by Pharell. It was just awful on me.
3. Heading out to Florida for my hard-earned one month vacation in a few weeks. Can’t wait to hit the near-by beaches! I will take a few decants, probably Bronze Goddess for sunny days and Chanel No 19 for rainy days.
Enjoy your time in Florida! What beaches will you visit?
Cocoa Beach (a tradition), Coquina Beach, and possibly Clearwater or somewhere close by but not so busy. Redington Beach is nice and quiet. I would like to go to the Keys, but that will require extra research; any recommendations are most welcome!
What is nice is that everything is relatively close once you are there.
Hi Key Largo has a great condo area called Mariners Cay(cove?)with nice accommodations that include a great tiki bar, water access and a cute nearby coffee shop, very funky Florida with birds and fabulous food… from there you can go anywhere among the islands in an easy drive and back. It is a good home base.
Thank you!! I will check it out!
I am patiently waiting to buy Masque Milano Times Square this month.
Honoré des Près Love Coco is getting voted off next, and possibly SL Baptême du feu. Neither one are doing anything for me right now.
I would love to go to Hawaii but don’t want to leave my dog, so it will be a camping trip in California instead. I’ll wear Bois d’Ascèse since it smells like campfire and hopefully won’t attract bugs.
I’m wearing Slowdive for day 3 of my visit with my parents. It’s going reasonably well.
I love Bapteme du Feu but it is strong! If it’s not right, it’s a long ride.
I’m glad the visit is going well! Hope it continues to do so.
Thank you lillyjo.
Echoing lillyjo, glad the visit is going well. How much longer are you there for?
Until Monday. It’s always a bit of a problem trying to figure out how to fill the time without discussing politics or religion but we are managing pretty well.
Glad you are powering through. Maybe you need to sneak away for awhile and ponder your upcoming order a bit more ?
Bapteme is nice but something throws it off for me.. the orange glass cleaner note maybe lol.
I’m getting bug spray. Maybe citronella?
Bapteme du Insecte? Lol
A poll, what fun.
1. Les Parfums de Rosine Majalis which I hope to get for Xmas
2. What Would Love Do, it takes too long and much screechy citrus to get to the drydown I love
3. Istambul and I would bring Traversee du Bosphore of course.
I’m wearing Fleur de Peau today, I believe it’s divisive but I think it’s the ambrette in it which works well with my skin chemistry.
I love Fleur de Peau. You smell great!
Thank you, Madtowngirl! When I first tested it last summer, I knew a bottle was on the horizon.
I loved Istanbul and earnestly want to go back, but the current political situation makes that dicey. It’s about the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen. Sigh.
It’s wonderful that you visited, I’m sure there is so much to see.
Yes, the mosques, gardens, markets, river, houses, people, old churches, shops, and lots of cats!! One of our best experiences was a very cheap ferry ticket to go up the Bosphorus. You could just get on and off as you pleased, and there were fantastic views as it cross-crossed back and forth across the water. I just loved it there. And, inevitably, I bought a rug!
Thank you so much, I’ll keep the ferry in mind.
I’ve been to Istanbul via a cruise. We pretty much stuck to the group tours but I got in trouble at the Spice Market when a woman in a burka thought I was taking her picture.
Oh, too bad. I only had good experiences there, even with veiled women. Everyone seemed so friendly, and I loved the food. Places like the Blue Mosque were mind-boggling.
The Blue Mosque was ethereally (is that a word?) beautiful!
A cruise must have been dreamy, how embarrasing about the market incident; I remember the veiled women in Algeria staring disapprovingly at our mixed group of unveiled teenagers although as in Turkey there is a large number of secular people.
It was a wonderful cruise which started in Venice and then after that I spent a week in London and took the train to Paris for a day.
This reminds me of how when I was studying abroad in Paris my group, which had some very chic headscarfed members, would at times get disapproving stares from the unveiled women of France although I know there is a large number of religious people in France! So interesting.
Istanbul is an amazing city! I have only been a couple of times but I want to visit again soon. Istanbul by Gallivant is also quite lovely.
Also loving Fleur de Peau! Istanbul sounds dreamy, i also hope to visit once the political situation is better..
So glad you like it too, it was immediate love for me, the best release I’ve smelled this year.
1. No 5 Eau Premiere, the old formula. I’ve gone through 2 decants of this, so pretty sure a fb is in my future. It’s easy to wear and smells so pretty.
2. Vintage Samsara. I love the way this perfume smells, but it is not “easy” for me to wear, so I just don’t. As for sandalwoods, I much prefer BoE and Tam Dao.
3. Corfu. We just finished watching The Durrells last week and every time I watch an episode I think how beautiful the sky and water look. Such a contrast to the gray fall of the Midwest. I could use those rays right about now. One perfume? Maybe Guerlain AA Nerolia Bianca.
SotD is Musc Ravageur. On the agenda for this afternoon is pumpkin pie making for madtownteen and me. Then I’ll make some beef stew for dinner. We have a great butcher shop in my neighborhood that sells only locally raised grass fed beef, should be delicious.?
What’s my forecast for tomorrow? Right now, I’m unexpectedly being pelted with ice pellets!???⛄
Yikes! Sounds very unpleasant.
It was. Yuk.
Cold and dreary, I’m afraid.? But we didn’t have any precipitation of any kind.
Then it will be warmer tomorrow and you will get a little window of sun and blue sky.??
I’d love to go to Corfu too and Eau Premiere old formula is great with its lemon ice cream note in the opening.
I with you and the Durrells on Corfu! with some Tam Dao in my travel bag, because why not?
There are many things I’d like to add to my collection – as is ever the case! I bought the Fort and Manle discovery set last year, and a few of those are calling out to me.
Meanwhile, I have bought a car to replace my beloved old Mazda MX6. I spent last weekend in used car yards, looking at a lot of very boring cars, and concluded that the answer to my car question was “European sports car”. And not just for looks and performance, my garage is small and cars have got bigger. So I now have a 2007 Audi TT, and perfume purchases will be constrained for the next while.
My Mazda is only good for parts, or organ donation, as I prefer to think of it. It’s really given its all, and I think I’ll need to get it towed away. I decided an appropriate farewell gesture would involve perfume, so I sprayed its interior liberally with Jovoy’s Remember Me. It was then parked in the sun all day, so I’m not sure I want to open the door again…
Vote off the island – I can’t name one, although there are many I don’t wear often. Once I’ve committed to a purchase, I don’t change my mind easily (as per the 18 years I had my Mazda)!
Fantasy getaway – Egypt! I’d take something spicy and exotic like Caron’s Parfum Sacré.
Organ donation, lol. That Mazda served you well, enjoy your new car!
*making the sign of the cross* over your beloved Mazda. ?
Mazda vehicles are awesome. Enjoy your new ride!
We had a Mazda pick-up that was essentially driven into the ground, so to speak; it didn’t owe us anything.
I have a very old Mazda 3 and absolutely love it! I will get the same when I replace it.
Seriously?? I had a 2007 Mazda 3 and loved it. It was a great car.
Mine is a 2005!
Congratulations on your new car!
it’s a beautiful car, i liked it a lot when it came out and i still do. not many car designs last that well imho.
may you have thousands of kilometers of fun travel with it!
Thank you all for your kind thoughts about my car!
1. I have splurged on three very very nice scents recently so don’t deserve to want more, but as we all know, that’s not how desire works. I’d like to get McQueen’s Tuberose.
2. Would happily do without several things, especially TF Santal Blush.
3. Japan/Kyoto. I’ve never been, but would love to see Japanese gardens with fall colors and flowers. It looks so gorgeous in photos.
SOTD is my brand new Lalibela!
I thought you had that McQueen? Or is it a different one?
No, I bought the one just called The Parfum. The fancy black one.
I’d choose going to Japan again too. It’s a beautiful place.
And wear CdG Kyoto while at it
Oh, of course!
how about a group trip to Japan for perfumistas? I’d sign up for that fantasy.
one can only dream
We should do that!
I’m in, but someone will have to carry me on to the plane, since I will be on dental sedatives ?
//looks around, sees 6 month baby…
uh… not anytime soon…
Kyoto is really geautiful. We went there in early spring and luckily saw the cherry blossoms, but it would great in fall too. One day i will return.
oh lucky lucky you. did you go see the deer at Nara too? i found kyoto and nara the most magical places when i went. and granted, it was summer. the spring blossoms would have been even moreso
I went a couple of years ago to an amazing Japanese garden in Portland. The tour guide said it was the biggest Japanese garden outside of Japan
1) Ambre Aurea from Profumum Roma. I have wanted this one for a long time.
2) No vote for who gets kicked off yet, as I have had only 1 that disagreed strongly with me.
3) I”ll go anywhere warm, I’d probably take MEM by Bogue with me as it does stand up to the heat and changes enough to be as though I am wearing a few different perfumes.
SoTD is Cuir de Lancome. The cool weather here is perfect for this beauty.
HA, I will go anywhere warm too! My February vacation seems a VERY long way off.
Mmm I am not sure if I will add anything this fall..budget wise, probably better if I don’t lol..plus after the meets here..I think I am alright scent wise–did I just say that? Lol. Maybe that Gucci Memoire would be good..in 10 mls.
There’s a few scents I wanna try..Avacado Toast..some metallicy scents..Gold by Demeter sounds fun and festive or Smell Bent Ten. No big lemmins though.
Never been to Fiji but it sounds lovely..not sure if I would take a perfume as I would just wanna sniff the surroundings. But if I was forced to take one..idk something light and happy..maybe Saturday by AS. Or maybe I would find a local perfume shop and find a niche, Fiji scent to wear:).
Voting a perfume off the island…mmmm if I was forced..maybe Dent Au Lait…as it was a bit disappointing. It’s not bad..but again taken in with the description in the ads..only to sniff it and go, “well I guess that’s it then lol.”
Hey Omega, email me….I’ll send you 10mLs from my bottle!
Aww, so sweet of you:). Thanks.
CDG 888 is the one representing gold, and is worth a try if you’re after metallic scents. (The entire bottle is shiny gold, too.)
Today was nuts at the store, but thankfully I had the early shift. My sotd is Rose & Cuir. It’s not getting great reviews but I’m really liking it.
For the poll
1. I have no real plans on buying any perfume but, I always have my eye on something. I’m really interested in gourmonds again, so Love and Crime is on my radar. Also looking into Francesca Bianchi.
2. Voting off Pomegranate Noir due to association, not smell .
3. I usually say I just want to stay home and hibernate, but this year, I think I will snap my fingers and go to Jamaica. Hoping to run into Keith Richards ????
? Jamaica mon, never been so you have to tell me all about it ? and I’m assuming Keith Richards is still alive?
I just ordered a set of Francesca Bianchi official sample set!
Yes he’s still alive! Lol, with a birthday coming up, even!
Report back on your sample set. Did you order direct from her site? I was looking at it, and got confused with pricing/shipping to the U.S.
I am sort of slowing down on what I want especially since I’ve gotten two things that I wanted for a long time–vintage Jungle Gardenia Parfum and that Velvet Gardenia got reissued so I could get a bottle. Still want Shams Narcissus and my newest desirable
Voted off the island would probably be Volkamaria which seemed really wonderful when I bought it as a souvenir in Copenhagen but not so much now
Going to Fort Myers at the end of the month for Thanksgiving. Perfume match would be Terracotta since that reminds me of Florida but in actuality, I’ll probably just use whatever perfume samples are in my purse since any perfume will just get washed off in the ocean
I was there in the fall. I would have liked to see cherry blossoms, but had to make do with Washington DC for them.
Ok, have no idea how this ended up here. I was talking about Kyota to tannina.
1. I would like a linden floral or a honey note fragrance to keep me warm this winter. I loved Chergui when I had it but I’m open to a new one too.
2. For some reason, even if I loved it when testing it several times at Barney’s in SF, I almost never wear CdG Carnation from the Red series. Maybe it’s too peppery ?
But I think I’d let go first of Aether Carboneum which my boyfriend hates. It is peculiar but it does smell exactly like it should.. sea, wet diving suit, light citrus.
3. I’d like to time travel back to my grandparents home when I was a child, for a big family meal.
I would one hundred percent go back in time for a big family meal!
Me too, lillyjo. ❤️
for some reason I thought all day about the cakes and birthday cake my mum and grandma used to make to me as a child. Recipes written down in recipe notebooks, with the vaguest instructions … ‘add enough flour until it resembles a thick yogurt, bake at low temperature’ that I’m pretty sure I’ll never get right.. or recipes that only my grandma knew. So yes I’d love to be there again just for that pure childhood joy of having a special dessert and being allowed seconds at special occasions
+1 you guys.
Linden Moon by Phoenix Botanicals is a lovely linden scent. It wears close to the skin, so may want to layer if you want more projection.
Thank you! saw this late but noted!
April Aromatics Unter der Linden has a potent linden note.
noted, thank you for the tip!
For a really good bargain linden perfume, check out Provence Sante Tilluel.
oh that looks like a bargain with great reviews too. ordered!
thank you for the tips to both of you !
I hope you like it! The shower gel is wonderful too.
will let you know once i get it! if it’s good, definitely getting the full line
i mean ‘good on me’. i’m sure it’s wonderful otherwise!
Got the package today and it’s lovely – sheer but true to nature
I bet it would layer wonderfully with a few smokier perfumes I have, Volutes and Tea for two came to mind immediately. I shall try tomorrow.
Thank you again!
SotD = Iris Ukiyoe
Iris Ukiyoe plus saltwater, actually! I took a walk on the beach this afternoon and the sun came out from behind the clouds, so I jumped in the water.
It was invigorating and lovely, the water has been unusually warm(ish) and clear due to a lingering El Nino effect according to a life guard, though here at many soCal beaches we are doing the stingray shuffle to avoid getting stung, not enough sharks to keep the ray population in check, it’s a real problem. How’s that for stream of consciousness run-on sentence construction?
Now what were the questions? Oh, yes . . .
I don’t want any more perfume right now. I’m keeping my head in the sand so I won’t be tempted to buy. My tiny little perfume cupboard runneth over, and I just can’t give more space to scent right now.
If I have to give something up it might as well be my beautiful bottle of 24 Faubourg. I love it dearly, but it gives me a headache, bleargh. Vintage 24F is ok, no headache, so maybe someday I’ll buy a replacement.
Travel? Hmmm, I would like to go to Japan with everyone else here who loves it, and I’d take Tam Dao with me. I’ve been wearing it often lately. My sample is almost gone, and I think it is so beautiful whether I wear just a smidgen or a whopping dose or anything in between.
Happy SaturYAY to everyone on this side of the dateline. Hope those already existing in tomorrow are smelling fabulous and having a marvelous SunYAY!
mmm Tam Dao is a perfect match for Japan, with its simple yet perfect elegance
When I first tried Vanilla Hinoki, it reminded me of all the temples we visited in Japan. So lovely!
putting it on the ‘to try’ list
I adore Vanilla Hinoki. it was one of the first full bottles I bought when I re-discovered perfume not too many years ago. ;D
It was your love of VH that created my lemming to try it!
Stingray Shuffle – love it!
hee-hee, better to dance than get stung.
I was just reading something about the number of stings…I think that would pretty much keep me out of the water.
yah, me too at times. Sometime the life guards get more than 20 stings in a day so they post signs warning people, that’s when I stay out of the water.
Aw, that’s a bummer 24F gives you a headache! ?
thanks, Jalapeno. There must be something in recent versions of scents that give me the headache. I’ve had a hard time with new Infusion d’Iris and some of the flankers, but the older bottles are fine. Weird!
1. I’m mostly content right now, but I’m thinking of buying some Hendley Bourbon while it’s available, though I can’t decide between extrait or EDC. I’ve only tried the EDC but am interested in the richer formula the extrait should provide.
2. Couple Maria Candida Gentile 15mls that don’t really work on me – Lady Day and Leuco
3. I’ve still never been to Hawaii and desperately want to go especially now that I live on the West Coast. Will next year be the year I go? I would like to buy a souvenir tropical perfume, probably plumeria and take in the smells around me. But maybe Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc would be my travel scent.
Today I’m wearing lots of Tonka Imperiale having finished off one of my decants of it. I went out to eat for both brunch and happy hour/late lunch and went to see The Lighthouse between meals. The Lighthouse was very good. I look forward to a rewatch at home sometime to take it all in again. I think I forgot to report back on Parasite last weekend. Oh my gosh, I loved it so much. We saw it in a sold out old theatre, and I was still really immersed in it. It was around 2hours 10 minutes, and I’d didn’t want it to end. Highly recommend.
That movie looks amazing, added to my watch list!
Which of the movies are you interested in Robin? The Lighthouse or Parasite? I really recommend both, though I could see The Lighthouse being divisive.
Oh, sorry, I meant Parasite. The Lighthouse looks like too much for me at the moment, and even Parasite might be too much, but eventually…
Yeah, just read more about Lighthouse, I think that is not for me, possibly ever.
Tonka Imperiale is so yummy.
Both The Lighthouse and Parasite are on my movie wish list!
1. Don’t plan to add anything new this fall. Not enough cash to add Coromandel to my collection.
2. It’s either vintage BaV or Amouage Epic.
3. Probably LADDM.
Wearing Cuir de Russie today.
Where would you go on your fantasy vacation? You have a lot of excellent perfumes!
I want to go to either Iceland or Scotland and Ireland.
Mmm… time to pull the Cuir de Russkie out!
Lemming: currently SL Boxeuses, but I don’t expect it to last. My lems are usually fairly short-lived. Not to worry, though – another will be along soon, I’m sure.
Voted off the island: Flowerbomb. I never wear it anymore, mostly because someone I have zero respect for at work wears (too much of) it about every other day. Argh.
Travel/perfume: New Zealand, and I’d take SSS Pacific Forest and CdG Kyoto with me – PF to blend in with the surroundings, and Kyoto to match what I imagine my mood would be just being there. I’ve been re-reading the Phryne Fisher story where she goes on an ocean cruise from Melbourne to various spots in NZ on a ship named the Hinemoa, and the descriptions of the voyage and the places they go make me want to take the same cruise.
In other news, my painting project is going well, but it’s SO SLOW … mostly because I can only work at it for 2 or 3 hours at a stretch if I want to be able to move the next day. I’m about half done now and am happy to report that the color I finally settled on (after several years and about a dozen sample pints) is perfect.
That’s too bad about Flowerbomb. I would be so sad if that situation happened to me with one of my beloved scents. ?
Yeah. Well, at least it’s not Vol de Nuit that was the victim. I’d have to find some other way to deal with that than voting off the island, I guess. Maybe find a new island.
What color is it you decided on? I admire you doing your own painting. There’s no way I can because I can’t manage a ladder–too dangerous with all of my hip troubles.
It’s Sherwin Williams Balanced Beige. It’s a color that completely changes character in different rooms, depending on the light. I tried it in the bedroom and it skews just slightly too pinky-mauve, but in my little office (half-done now!) where the light is brighter it’s a really gorgeous warm griege.
I couldn’t wear Flowerbomb myself but it smells good at the right dose on some people!
Oh ick! Flowerbomb is very easy to overdo.
Sote is Youth Dew Amber Nude. I love this one but dh does not. So I apply lightly.?
1) The only perfume I truly want is TF Amber Absolute. So this lemming will probably go to the grave with me. ? Years ago, a SA tried to convince me that I needed a bottle of AA. But I had my sights set on Coromandel, and a few others. I could kick myself for not considering it then. ?
2) I think I would send Must de Cartier Parfum to a new home. I never seem to reach for it anymore.
3) Headed to FL for Thanksgiving. I’ll probably take a few of my new splitmeet decants. So excited about them!
Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend!
AA is a great oriental, Must is one of my fave scents, I remember wearing tons of it to the DMV once and irritating a few ppl in line lol. Oops.
Would like my bottle of Must? I’m happy to send it to you if you live in the US. My email: laugsb
at sbcglobal dot net
I have a bottle of Must parfum but I sure appreciate the offer:). Who knows maybe it will call your name again one day? Lol.
I’ve been thinking about Angel Eau de Toilette. God knows why, I’ll probably hate myself.
I’m kicking out Florentina. Some kind of pastry note I hate, plus some kind of sour cedar note that enrages me.
The vacation be anywhere I don’t have to drive.
Angel is a great perfume imho. Strong but very good. I liked it when I had it and I wouldnt mind receiving it as a gift Alien either.
I often find myself thinking only ‘niche/ indie’ are ‘good’ fragrances but not really the case.
Have you tried Gucci Memoire d’Une Odeur? That would go on the very good designer non-niche / indie perfumes. Angel Muse, Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme, Tiffany EDT and EDP are some of the other one. These may not work for everyone.
I have not but putting it on the to try list, thank you! Come to think of it I never tried anything Gucci. I also want to try Britney Spears’ and JLo’s if they still exist.
My designer favorites from what I had or tested include CK Euphoria, quite a few Lancome ( Poeme, Tresor), Dior Dune and guilty pleasure Addict ( yeah I know there’s some burnt plastic note in there but still ..). I acknowledge Daisy from Marc Jacobs is quite fine too but not really ‘me’.
Oh how could I forget the Diors! I have older formulation Addict and Dune and they are 2 of my favorite perfumes. The ones I listed above are newer and can be found in regular department stores and/or Sephora and quite possibly at the discounters (but I have not looked).
I would say 98 percent of my bottles are designer. There’s plenty of good one’s to be had.
agreed. but it’s so tempting to fall in the ‘snob’ end of the perfume pool, because you know 99% of people won’t be wearing what you are. niche feels like some exclusive club wink wink .
so i remind myself periodically to not do that and try to buy both niche, designer and pharmacy ones ( looking at your yardley and pacifica )
Love Alien. Beautiful powder-y scent on me. And every time I wear Angel some random person always asks me about it, if not outright guessing what it is.
I’m far too poor for niche, or Angel really. I have a bottle of Sylvaine Delacourte Helicriss coming though. I really love it and it’s sort of niche.
I rather like and own a few versions of Angel. I have also sniffed and ID’ed it in the wild. The people I have encountered wearing it have smelled lovely.
Agreed. Angel smells fantastic in the wild.
Scent of the morning….Vanilla by Boclet.
I would love to buy Muskc Koublai , for winter, but its soo expensive
I could let get AG Quel Amour or CK One Summer 2017, even if Luca Turin gave it four or five stars. If anyone in Europe would like them, i would sent them free if you pay the shipping?
My dream holiday now would be a holiday in New Zealand and lots of nature and good food plus wine.
I once tried Grand Amour and there was something in it that was just too too. About MKK: My nearest niche perfumerie has stopped carrying Serge Lutens: over the past two years I could really tell the difference between newer and older reformulations. When I started sniffing, Daim Blonde was rich and leathery and apricotty and when I finally decided to buy, the bottles that they had were pale shadows of its former glory. Now, they’ve sold out their stock on sale and will not be carrying the line anymore. If it makes you feel any better…
I’ve heard that the wine-region around Marlborough where they make all of those wonderful (I think) Sauvignon Blancs is also very picturesque, so plan that as part of your NZ visit!
Hi there! Quickly posting before going back to read the comments…
1. For the first time I have NO lemmings.
2. Voted off the island: there are some perfumes that bug me a little sometimes: Tea for Two: too smoky, Jolie Madame: screechy violet top note, Chergui – sometimes too sweet, Fils de Dieu; the rice note sometimes a li-itle too close to vanilla. But then there are days that I really want to smell them. I’ve let go the ones that I regretted buying and they have been gifted and I hope they found happy homes.:)
3. I am considering booking a Morroccan holiday for me and my soon to be 16 year old son as a premature coming of age gift. If the stars align this will happen. Deo Volente. I’ll take Musc Nomade: the surprise hit of my whole collection.
What a fantastic gift! Morocco is amazing!
Yay for no lemmings!!
Fingers crossed that the stars will align properly!
SHL Taklamaken ?
Enjoying late fall foliage shining in unexpected sun, reds, orange, umber sand greens. Stocking up on Vitamin D, for pending clouds and rain.
Thinking of BF Montserrat and Eres Night Flower. The latter I get compliments on when wearing sample. Not ready to splurge, yet dreaming.
Off the island is Dent Au Lait. Though I love other SLs, this one does nothing for me and I actually abhor the scent. Something about it is cringey.
Morocco stole my heart. Would love to return, visit the souks, and see the sunset to the sound of the muezzin calls, veiled in jasmine oil. Any recommendations for layering, are very welcome.
I think the cringy scent in dent de lait is the metallic blood accord. I could smell this too.
I get no blood..but I do love the metallic note..as short as it lasts before massive florals take over
I just bought a perfume I have really wanted for awhile, thanks to the splitmeet: Oeillet Bengale!
I would vote off Tocade I think. But I really like the idea of it so it will probably stay.
I have never been to Central or South America – I would love to go to any big city there. Maybe Buenos Aires? I would take Coromandel: chic and comfortable all at once, which is how I like to roll!
I love Oeillet Bengale too. I’m thinking about getting Kilian Woman in Gold, but lots of people on Fragrantica say it smells just like Rochas Tocade! I like Woman in Gold, but just to be sure, I ordered a sample of Tocade to compare side by side. I used to have a bottle of Tocade but swapped it away, so I suspect they are not that similar. We shall see!
Woman in Gold doesn’t smell anything at all like my memory of Rochas Tocade. Tocade was a horrifying scrubber on me, while I rather enjoy Woman in Gold.
1. There’s lots I’d like to try (which for niche brands usually means buying a sample since I live at the bottom of the world), but I’m trying not to add anything to the collection unless it adds something I don’t have already (or it’s a really really good price). That said, I do quite badly want a bottle of CdG Wonderwood.
2. I don’t have a lot of full bottles, but I think if I had to move one on it would be D.S. & Durga’s Rose Atlantic. I enjoy it and wear it from time to time but I don’t think I’d miss it all that much.
3. My current get-away dreams include booking a modest chateau in the Loire valley, getting a bunch of my friends together and spending a few weeks relaxing and getting to know the local food, wine and countryside. Since this is a fantasy trip I’d take a bottle of Parfums Delrae Wit, which I have a small decant of but couldn’t find a way to get a full bottle before she closed.
Any trip that includes DelRae Wit would have to be good, right?
Too right! If I had more than 2ml left of my decant I’d wear it all spring
Sunday: still powering through the visit with my parents. Things derailed a bit last night on the political front, I got up and left the room to take the dog outside. Fortunately everyone is now distracted by my niece’s genealogy homework assignment, so I’m hiding in the spare bedroom. 9 more hours to go until bedtime and then leaving for home tomorrow morning! Wearing Agent Provocateur Maitresse.
Wishing you a peaceful night and a safe trip home! You smell great. I keep wanting to get another AP, so I can match my Maitresse bottle, but I don’t know how the other ones smell. I’ve been looking at the newer one I think it’s called Blue Silk? Or something like that.
Thank you! Wearing Dilettante for the drive.
Hang in there cazaubon! I’m rooting for you. Safe travels home. ✈
Thank you, two hours and counting!
It is so amazingly hard to avoid *any* discussion of anything verging on politics, isn’t it?
Especially with my male family members who are opinionated and argumentative. The women just want them to shut up and let it go.
I think the women in my family are also opinionated and argumentative, ha.
(Although I include myself there.)
1. I think I will buy myself a bottle of Winter Palace for Christmas.
2. I don’t seem to wear Ivoire very much, although I do like it. Oh, I know! That bottle of Aroma M Nobara-cha I have been trying to get rid of forever, or Batacuda which I absolutely cannot smell.
3. I have been very fortunate to have travelled to many of the dream destinations mentioned, but I’d like to go back to Tuscany and take a couple weeks of cooking lessons with emphasis on matching wine and food. And I’d like to go to the Galapagos. If I went to Tuscany I wouldn’t take any perfume, I’d just buy everything I smelled.
Your Tuscany trip sounds divine! I hope you can manage a trip back there someday.
How are you feeling today ScentSpirit?
1. I would take any Perfume de Marly scent. I have totally fallen in love with this line.
2. I would ship off my DK Cashmere Mist. This was a blind buy for me. So many bragged about it, so I just knew it had to be AMAZING. It didn’t move me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
3. I would go to Turks and Cacos and take with me my Honeysuckle &Davana by Jo Malone. My JM fragrances never steer me wrong.
Edit: 1. should say Parfums de Marly
I love Black Cashmere, but never got along with Cashmere Mist, and have always been puzzled that they even share the word Cashmere.
Ugh, Cashmere Mist. A few years ago, I interviewed for a better job at my former place of work. The manager wanted to hire me, but was forced to hire this woman who was part of the old girls club instead. She wore Cashmere Mist, flared Levi’s, and had this sneering dog smile and baked cookies to ingratiate herself. She was a failure at the job, and was allowed to not only transfer into my department, she was the only person allowed to work at home. The final blow was in order to keep her overly generous salary, the three people in my department who had mid level titles including myself were demoted so she could have one. I had to train her, and you know I wore some special perfume. Yes, I test drove my sample of Secretions Magnifique on her. My older male co worker said it was nice and clean smelling. I’m pretty sure she went to the bathroom and cried.
Bad perfume memory. I’m sure it was for her too. Job poacher.
Wow, that really is a bad perfume memory! I wonder if she ever got over the Secretions Magnifique
Happy Sunday all! Wearing several sprays of Vanilla Insensee today. Battled the crowds at Costco and are now home precooking for the week ahead.
For all you lippie fans out there, Lisa Eldridge is pre-taking orders starting today. I had to talk myself off the ledge a couple times today!
I will not google.
I will not google.
I will not google.
Good luck not googling! I wasn’t so lucky.
Cooking twins with you today Gail! ?
It’s nice to get a head start to the week!
SOTD: Tosca Guillietta(sp???). Kinda soapy during the drydown, but otherwise a nice fragrance.
Ooops Tocca. Too much Halloween candy.
Same at my house… lots of candy left over! We bought too many bags this year.
1. Alien-should arrive tomorrow.
2. Alien-should it not work for me.
3. I’m happy where I am. But I’ve always been fascinated with India, so maybe one day.
Trying Ex Idolo Love and Crime. It’s really a cozy scent.
I hope you really like Alien!
Thank you! Do you like alien?
I love Alien edp, and many of the flankers. I’ve never tried the edt. It’s a mood lifter for me. Report back on what you think!
Which version of Alien, EdP or EdT?
EdP. From F’Net, so not sure of production year until I see the bottle code. Have you tried both EdP and EdT, and what do you think?
I’ve only tried the EdP and the Aqua Chic. I rather liked the Aqua one as a lighter, summer version. But, of course, I sampled it after it had been d/c’ed. The EdP is one of my favorite winter scents… the colder it gets outside, the better it smells to me.
I do have a few of the limited edition Aliens, too.
Ugh. What a week.
I didn’t post much about my misadventures in getting home earlier this week due to lack of time. Now I will. I started off for Denver International at 3:30 in the afternoon on Tuesday. My flight was originally supposed to leave at 7pm. I’ve learned that Denver is one airport where it is a good idea to give yourself extra time to get thru airport security.
Roads were kind of yuck, but also typical winter driving with blowing snow. I was aware that my flight out had been delayed, but figured I’d still get there in plenty of time.
After my brother had dropped me off at the airport, I busied myself with checking both my luggage and my flight status. I still had a flight out. Good, since the canceled flights were starting to pile up on the monitors. At this point, the Denver airport was the emptiest I had ever seen it. Outside weather conditions were 10 degrees F with snow and freezing fog.
Boarding the plane for leg one of my trip home. Yep, it’s not a direct flight. Then we waited in line for de-icing for an hour. Then waited after de-icing to take off.
The flight for leg one of my trip took 2 hours. Then a 2 hour layover before flying the red eye home. After that, it was nearly an hour before the airport shuttle was able to get me home at 9am Wednesday morning. Blugggh!
Now for the poll questions!
1) Alas, I might be lemming a small bottle of Cartier’s L’Envol EdP. It’s available at the discounters. But. I. Do, NOT. Need. More. Perfume.
2) Voted off the island? Either Escada’s original Rockin’ Rio (too sweet for me now), or Gwen Stefani’s L LAMB (same).
3) Sick of traveling right now, so not interested. In theory, though, I have wanted to go to Hawaii since I was 5 or 6. Not sure if I would take any perfume though. I’d want to experience the native smells first.
Wow – glad you are home!
Thanks! It’s been ages since I haven’t had a direct flight from Point A to Point B. Now I know why. ?
Wow, your travel experience made me nervous even though I already knew you were home safe! Wishing you an uneventful week ahead ?
An uneventful week sounds great! Crossing my fingers.
I know the Denver airport quite well. We had a delayed layover for about 6 hours there while ago. We had breakfast, lunch, drinks in the afternoon to pass time, and some shopping and walking in between.
Glad you finally made it home! The de-icing is quite critical; we had to be de-iced twice on one flight because the lineup to take off was longer than expected. If the plane sits too long you have to go through the whole process again.
Concourse C had some nice sniffing at The Body Shop. I grabbed a couple of travel sized body butters for future trips.
I’ve had quite a few flights in winter weather, so I know about de-icing! I was explaining what was going on to the couple seated next to me. It would have been nice if the pilot or flight crew would have made an announcement about waiting for de-icing, though.
You have my sympathies…there is nothing worse than sitting on an airplane waiting.