PSA: our next swapmeet will be on Saturday, 16 September and our next freebiemeet will be on Saturday, 30 September. In case you missed it, we changed our freebiemeet rules! And we are now going to hold freebiemeets 3 times a year: fall, spring and winter.
Meanwhile, happy Women's Equality Day! Here are four questions. As always, answer as many or as few as you like, or talk about something else altogether.
1. Is your current collection too small, too big, or just right?
2. What are a few perfumes you wish you could swap away (even if you have no intention of actually swapping)?
3. What are a few perfumes you wish you would see available for swap?
4. What's your absolute favorite perfume that was made by a woman?
Note: top image is Dahlias [cropped] by Henry Hemming at flickr; some rights reserved.
Hello NST family and happy weekend to all. I’m getting ready for my summer holidays which are starting on Wednesday.
On to the questions…
1. I think my collection is just right but there is enough space for 2-3 more fragrances.
2. I would happily swap Ann Gerard Rose Cut or Atelier Cologne Figuier Ardent for another perfume of my interest.
3. Memo Eau de Memo or Guerlain Lui for instance.
4. It has to be Prada Amber Pour Homme.
And my SotD is No. 42 The Flower Shop from Jo Loves, courtesy of our dear Undina who sent me a sample.
Just saw this and wanted to say I love Rose Cut! I don’t have anything I think you’d be interested in- but, Would you be interested in selling it?
If so you can contact me sylvia at 6alongs dot com.
1) too big
3) Onda VdE or Naja
4) see #3
SOTD Hermes Vetiver Tonka in hopes of adding some serenity to my day.
Found an elderly man laying in the parking lot this morning when I took T-Rex out before work. I got a bit of a buzz just leaning over him to evaluate he sitch. Called EMS and consequently was late for work.
At work for 2 hours and a patient leaped across the desk at me with what can only be described as bad intentions. I did a quick bob and weave and missed the fist, a move Ali himself would have admired!
What coming down the pike, no one knows… Happy Saturday ????
Good grief, Deva, and great work! Hope the day settles down for you.
Amos?? Noz!! Spellcheck is having bad day too!
Good heavens!! Glad your reflexes were on the job! But, um, that patient probably shouldn’t be allowed to stay on a regular ward? Hope the patient has been moved to a safer location for all.
And good on you for caring about the man in the park. So many of us would have simply walked on by…
I work on a very irregular unit. This is not unusual, just a bit wearing.
Wow! Hope your day is calmer.
Flopper, I hope you’re doing ok in your area. My little drama is nothing compared to trials of Texas right now. Wishing you all the best!
Wow, I’m so glad you have quick reflexes! I hope you have an extremely peaceful rest of your weekend.
“Float like a butterfly…”
Let’s hope you’ve got all the excitement for today and the rest of the day is peaceful.
Wishing and hoping????
Yow! That’s enough drama for a whole weekend, right there!
I’m allergic to drama which is why work is killing me! I’m really hoping Kanuka’s lotto plan works out for me…
What a day! Sounds like you need a few more sprays of VT, good luck.
Yep, this calls for many, many more sprays ????
Wow Deva! glad you survived your day!
It’s not over yet☹️
You are a good person; and thank goodness for the reflexes!
I’m very average but thanks the boost!
Holy Smokes, Deva! Glad you’re okay. That definitely falls under the “things they should have taught us in school” category!
yep, Bob and Weave 101!
That’s a terrible thing to happen at work. Poor you. You need to win $758 000 000 on lotto
Can you arrange this for me? I’ll cut you in, how about 50/50?
I’m so glad you are o.k.
Good lord, Deva. Glad you’re okay. With that bobbing and weaving, you could give Mayweather and McGregor a run for their money!
What an idea! I like it!
Oof, I hope your day got better
Yikes! That is a very unpleasant experience (and I speak from experience ). And karma should have ensured that you had a great day after helping out the man in the parking lot!
Karma, where are you when I need you?!
Wow, are you a psych nurse? Tough day. Hope your evening is calmer.
Every nurse is a psych nurse. Thanks!????
LOL! This is true !!!!!
Seconding this, and THANK YOU for it! I had a family member go into the hospital for a car accident, get kicked out of one hospital for being uncontrollable (both feet and legs were pulverized, so I still want to know how he somehow escaped), and luckily had the nurses and doctors in the second hospital figure out quickly after being admitted that his erratic behavior was a drug-induced psychosis (really bad response to prescription drugs, poorly combined by our family physician, and probably the reason for the accident in the first place). So they stabilized/detoxed him ON TOP OF all the surgeries, etc., for the accident. A huge thanks to the medical folks out there who deal with stuff like this every day.
Posting late, but thanks God you are fine Deva. I hope by now your day is better. Take care!
Thank you! Much better, home safe and sound. But that same person managed to land two punches on other nurses☹️
Terrifying. Hope they are ok.
So glad you’re ok Deva! This happened to a friend of mine, who now has a permanent injury to her shoulder and wrist.. She got measly compensation, but can no longer work in nursing.
Geez, glad you’re ok. That’s scary. My friend’s wife was a nurse who was attacked by a patient in her hospital. He whacked her in the head with a wet floor sign and knocked her unconscious. She suffered permanent effects/chronic pain and is on disability now.
Sad to hear this, and about Mayfly’s friend as well. The general public really doesn’t understand how dangerous nursing can be. I’ve had to do some serious bobbing and weaving over the years.
Deva, I hope that your next day at work is easier than yesterday was! I’m glad to hear you weren’t injured.
Thinking of those folks on the coast. I have family in the coastal bend region, and I’ve been getting updates. Wind is now picking up where I am.
1. I’m ready to pare down – I have enough and sampled a lot.
2. I would like to swap L’Air de Rien, since my bottle doesn’t smell as great the decants I received from a NSTer. The decants are lovely, the bottle, meh. And I’m on the fence on Gabrielle, so I’d maybe swap that one as well.
3. I’d love to see vintage Angel EDP in the swap meet.
4. Tie btwn DelRae Wit and annick Goutal Songes.
And Mito VdE forgot that one for number 4
Nvm on Wit.
Wit is a darned good scent though.
(But was made by Yann Vasnier. Had to go look it up but was pretty sure it was not a woman.)
Right! Maybe DelRae has an inspiration for a perfume and asks her perfumers to create something?
I would guess that’s exactly how it works.
DC corpse flower update: the US Botanic Garden website currently says they will be open until 7 pm tonight, but to check back late in the day in case they decide to further extend the hours. It appears they believe the third corpse flower could bloom as early as tonight. It’s now an inch taller than the one that bloomed last week, on August 20.
What fun! How many times have you been over there?
I’ve only been there a few times, which I’m trying to rectify, and have only seen the corpse flowers once. I am definitely planning to go back when the third one opens, no matter how long the wait.
My next goal is to find the osmanthus that they supposedly have outdoors when that is in bloom. I took a quick look last spring and couldn’t find it; I’m afraid it might have died in one of the really cold winters recently. I need to consult the right staff there.
Are you able to smell it as well as view it? Not sure I’d be too enthused to get a whiff of that…
Oh, an osmanthus! Wish Longwood had one. They do have a lovely ylang tree.
Thanks for the update! We didn’t make it to DC today because of my husband not feeling well + home maintenance drama, but maybe we can make it tomorrow.
It’s not open yet, but it’s definitely getting close. If you have the option of Monday or Tuesday, that might be even better.
1. Too small! I always need more! ( I just need a bigger shelf. And budget!)
2. Honestly, very few. Maybe some of my obscure vintage buys that I’ll probably never finish. But I’m definitely a hoarder in regards to perfume. (And records. And books.)
3. I’m sad there wasn’t more Ostara out last swap, but most of the things I want I know probably aren’t up for swap often.
4. I’m sure in five minutes, I’ll change my mind but I’m sniffing the cap of Nicolai’s l’Eau Chic and it makes me very happy.
Still waiting on Harvey but luckily I still have power, water, and food. When Ike took our power, it was gone for 8 days so I’m praying it holds in there!
No scent yet but I’m thinking vintage Opium Esprit de Parfum.
Oh, and always curious to hear yours, Robin!
Will add below! Busy morning, meant to get back here way before now.
Awkard, not Opium. Poison! Though I do have some Opium lying aroubd on the same shelf.
I have an almost full bottle of Ostara I can swap out. If you are interested I am marianna_r in the yaaahoooo.
Oh I’d love to! Let me make a list for you. Though Harvey may prevent a super speedy reply.
No rush. Stay dry and safe
+1 for Patricia de Nicolaï! I’d pick anything from her, but I’m going to say New York (Intense).
Still haven’t tried New York! No one in my area stocks PdN so anything I’ve tried I’ve had to prder samples of.
Glad to hear you’re ok!
Yes! I hope you are too! My power is still on thank God! But very definitely flooded in for a bit. Richmond is a river.
Sending you best wishes, Coumarin and sweetgrass!
Wearing Cuir d’Ange today. I probably have one more wearing left in my decant, so I am savouring it.
1) It’s just the right size (literally – I can’t fit anything else on the perfume tray I inherited from my dear mother-in-law, so I won’t try). But I’m also perfectly content with what I have.
2) Maybe my Jicky EDT? Only because I wear it infrequently.
3) Oliver Peoples, Like This or Incense Rose
My thoughts are with everyone in Harvey’s path. Stay safe!
Oh, love Hiris! Now I feel bad I did not pick anything by OG. I should amend mine (below) to say Theorema, Fracas or Philosykos, given that I probably wear the Philosykos more than anything else.
+1 for Hiris!
2. Diptyque Mimosa, SJP Covet, Jo Malone Nashi Blossom, Hermès Muguet Porcelaine, Tom Ford Fleur de Portofino, Mandarino di Amalfi.
Oooo, TF Fleur de Portofino
OMG, there is an Old Maid Cat Lady online store offering over 2,800 “quality products for cats and cat lovers,” and she has a blog!
Note: I have no affiliation with this company, and no experience with ordering from them. I saw it referenced in a hurricane discussion because they offer life jackets for cats.
I wonder if we could convince her to add a line of quality “old lady” perfumes to the shop?
Cats in life vests. Ha!
It’s the that outside the laws of physics?! ????
1. It’s not necessarily too big, but my perfume cabinet has too many perfumes that I don’t wear regularly enough.
2. Jasmin et Cigaret, Penhaligon’s Violetta, Barbara Bui, Rykiel Woman, Songes, maybe that big bottle of Dzongkha I keep trying to wear, without success.
3. Anything by Ormonde Jayne (other than Woman, which I already own).
4. Might be a tie between Rubj (Vero Kern), and Jaisalmer (Evelyne Boulanger).
So with you on #1!
Yay! Another Vero Kern fan!????
Soul of the Rose!!!
Jumping in just to share something YOU MUST SEE AND ENJOY!!!
I hope I have time to hang out here later, but wanted to get this link in early (and boy will I feel foolish if everyone knows about this already!!!!!). I did a quick check and noticed that Robin did post this already, but it is worth another plug if you missed it.
Short and gorgeous. Caveat: Rose lovers will swoon at the very pretty pictures. . . .
Don’t you wish you could smell it? Thanks for posting this.
Gorgeous! Thank you!
Wow. I want to smell those stone walls that waft roses. That was so beautiful. And sad – I felt like a beautiful craft is going extinct, and so much knowledge will be lost.
No SOTD yet, most likely will put something with Iris notes.
1. I think my collection is just right but I do need to trim down some of my earlier mistakes (I am looking at you Bond no 9)
2. I would love to swap away my Bond no 9, and some of my Tina Dove and a few decants that resulted in FBs.
3. I would love to swap for a decant or partial FB of Xerjoff Irissss. I cannot justify getting a FB of that. There are a few more that are escaping me right now…
4. Or du Serail, Mohur, Anubis.
I think i am also ready to part with some of my Cuir Mauresque. And man, I need to trim my decants!!! Just realized it suddenly while cleaning
Decants! I have so many but of course you and I continue to enable each other with the splits and the swaps MWAHAHAHAHA. (It’s creepy, I swear I did not have caps lock on!)
1. Too big. (doesn’t stop me from buying more…)
2. To Go: Balmain Vent Vert; CSP Pomelo Fizz; MCG Lankaran Forest; AdP Ginepro di Sardegnia; Hermes Eau de Neroli Dore.
3. Would like: PG Coze Verde; La Curie Faunus
4. Hmm. I rarely remember who-made-what. OK, I’ll pick one of my newbies: Perfumer H Mediterranean.
Hope the folks in Harvey’s path stay safe!
Srcubber story, i had some time to kill this afternoon on the train station in Rotterdam and I spotted Aura by Mugler in one of the shops there.
I saw no blotters lying around so I decided to take the plunge and spray it on my skin.
Wow, that was a big mistake.
Perfumes like these have the power to give perfume a bad name, especially when oversprayed.. Yuck, it was a scrubber, so sweet, too cloying, huge sillage, headache inducing, without any depth or anything exciting or new going on.
But I was on a train and no scrubbing supplies at hand. I felt ugly and dirty (not in a good way) haha.
1. No, i am just getting started (1 year and 7 months ago).
2. Ostara and Bulgari Black
I have not touched them for a year.
3. (a pick from the same price range as those mentioned above is fair right?) Jasmin et cigarette, or Eau de merveilles, or just a bunch of samples will also do.
4. (on top of mind, but there I probably think of more after I post this haha) Encre Noire, Dryad
4. And Eau de merveilles of course…
@1. I meant to say: still too small.
In my head the Q changed into: is your perfume collection big enough?
Ugh, my hopes for Aura are fading fast. Lol at the ugly and dirty line.
Oh well dont give up hope yet.
First minutes were actually interesting, green and something fresh & sour going on. But it fell flat too soon on my skin, and then into a sweet mess (it seems to amp up basenotes more quickly than usual).
And (good to know i think)….I have a low tolerance for certain types of vanilla sweetness.
If you like vanillas, it could work for you.
That is good to know, I do like vanilla. I will definitely give it a try when it gets here.
1. Now the collection is just about right. When I left the US, I used the move as an excuse to pair down. I sold and gave away probably 75% percent of the things I’d collected over the last 10 years. My criteria was, “Will you really crave this if you don’t have it anymore?” The answer was usually no.
2. In the process of selling of quite a few bottles of Cuir de Lancome on the bay. I panicked when I found it and loved it and bought wayyyy too many bottles. Sure, I’ll keep maybe 2 for backup but I was being ridiculous holding onto as many as I’d bought.
3. No more new acquisitions! Sure, I love to go and sniff when I stumble across a perfume shop in Paris but the debit card has not come out once in the year that I’ve been here.
4. Probably a toss up but both scents, oddly enough, were signed by Olivia Giacobetti; Idole (Lubin) and Safran Troublant (L ‘Artisan). I really enjoy her perfumery style.
I am interested in the Lancôme bottles, would you please email me your eBay link? Marianna_r@yahoo.com
Agree with you on Olivia Giacobetti! I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed by her.
Well, now I need to know – if you are keeping two bottles for back up, and are selling quite a few, exactly how many did you have?
*lowers head in shame*: 12
Don’t feel bad, at one point I had 10 bottles of AG Encens Flamboyant. Sold most of them off as I realized it was completely unrealistic.
No shame – you are a perfumista, with dedication and foresight. There will come a day when you realize that CdL is selling for $225 a bottle on eBay, and you will swish – cape flowing behind you – your way to the perfume cabinet, fling open its doors, eye the 2 bottles you have stashed inside, and throw your head back in gleeful laughter.
I managed to score most of my Cuir stash due to an error in pricing on a major retailer’s website. Soon after my order was fulfilled, they apparently noticed their pricing goof and the price tripled.
OMG, sayitisntso, could you email me your eBay link if you have any CdL bottles left!? I’m seshat77 in the land of yahoo.
From your description, it sounds like I got my bottle when/where you did. I have kicked myself everyday since for not buying more than one!
Hooray for community projects!
Robin, when are we having the Splitmeet?
SOTD = commando although I got some Black Perfecto on my fingers as I was decanting for a swap.
1. Collection – just right as of this moment until the next must have, in which case, it can accommodate one more and be just right (then rinse and repeat)
2. Swap away – I will be swapping decants of Black Perfecto (instead of splitting since I’be already opened it, worn it and have made decants for others so it does not “feel right” to still include decants for split)
3. Would like to swap for — Hermes Twilly, Chanel Gabrielle, Penhaligon’s Clandestine Clara
4. Wow, too many to choose from! I’ll go with Aftelier Vanilla Smoke or Bergamoss or Cuir de Gardenia by Mandy Aftel
Now back to work on Harvey-related impact assessment. I’m afraid there is more coming with the anticipated floods onto next week.
Oohhh, can I please be first in line for your Perfecto split?!! Dying to try it and don’t want to wait until October ????
I mean swap ????
Eeek, I’ve been a bad correspondent. Will rectify!
I decided to move the splitmeet to October — will update the “upcoming” box right now.
Hopefully late October so I can participate too?
More likely to be middle of the month, but you can still participate even if you can’t mail then, right?
Thanks! (Gives me more time to stash funds )
1. Simultaneously both. There are too many bottles that I never touch, bought out of curiosity or lemminghood, and too many that I’m still lusting after.
2. Ohhh, don’t judge me: Silences, Seville a L’Aube, Balenciaga Paris, Ivoire, Kenzo Flower, the Gucci EDP that has tiare flower, …
3. Vintage Diorling or vintage Tabac Blond. Any concentration of either.
4. So many that I couldn’t possibly choose a single favorite, but Thé Pour un Été and the Gucci EDP that has orange blossom and cumin are usually at the top of that list. Also OJ Woman and Eau de Hadrien.
Commando so far this morning (although I do smell faintly of bagel and cream cheese), but will probably go with Mediterraneo (my spellchecker has finally learned it!) since it’s supposed to be close to 90 here today. Happy weekend, all!
Hadrien is also a personal favorite (in my list of Top 5 scents I’d Save if the House Was Burning Down). Goutal was my first niche scent back in 1994, although it’s not exactly niche now.
I have a ton of Hadrien that I do not use (purchased around 2005) if you are interested firstname.lastname@example.org
Sotd: Benheim Bouquet on this gorgeous summer day????
Love the tart citrus opening with the woody note lurking in the background.
1. I refuse to admit my collection is too big! My dd has repeatedly tried to shame me and it’s not happening ????
2. None (reason for my ever growing collection ????)
3. Always down to swap
Enjoy your weekend NST????
You smell lovely! I love Blenheim Bouquet, for just those sorts of reasons; crisp and citrusy, but still keeps my interest.
1. Way too big!
2. small bottles of Twilly d’Hermes, Santal Massoia & Epice Marine
3. My dream would be to find 3 Hermes perfumes I want, to replace the ones I don’t want!
4. Theorema or Fracas
Have a great weekend everyone! It is a chores & errands day for me, and will not be much fun but I will feel good when it’s all done.
I wonder what percentage of Epice Marine sales were blind buys.
lol! I don’t like to speak unkindly of any fragrance. So much work goes into their creation. But Epice Marine is deeply disturbing to me. I look like this when I smell it
wrong emoji? that’s supposed to be me sticking out my tongue and gasping for air, ha!
I see the tongue out, but something about the eyes does look too smiley. I get the point, though!
I honestly love Epice Marine. I’d buy it in 200ml if it was half the price.
I love it too.
I think you and Kanuka have a more open or agile minds, perfumewise, perhaps. I so much wanted to appreciate this collaboration between JCE and his famous chef friend, but I just can’t reconcile the savory, foody notes with the marine notes. I can only do one of those things at a time.
You’re in good company: Gaia the Non-Blonde hated it too. But the top notes make me instantly happy. I ration it because if I wore it every time I wanted I’d be out my irreplaceable ($230!) bottle.
Me three! I find all the Epice Marine hate bewildering! It’s so gorgeous. Robin, if you put that one up in the swapmeet (do you participate?), I’ll cross my fingers that I have something you want.
I wonder if it smells different on people who like it, or if some are not smelling some of the notes that bother me, or if it’s different tastes. I should try to test it on someone else and see how much skin matters. Anyway, it’s an such a wonderful collaboration, you are fortunate to be able to appreciate it!
Oh, it will be in the swapmeet! And I don’t know that I’d say I hate it, it’s just not me. But you know it’s just the little 15 ml.
Ya gotta wonder.
Ooh, looks like you have one that I am looking for – Twilly, unless I succumb to the cuteness before the swapmeet.
And I do not have the cuteness! I have the 15 ml bottle.
Hmm, Santal Massoia and Epice Marine are the two Hermessences I can not wear.
Epice Marine is nice on me. Santal Massoia makes me smell like I’m channeling the spirit of my granny.
That’s so funny – Santal Massoia makes me smell like I’ve been visiting heaven. It’s gorgeous on my skin.
Love your description!
I definitely don’t mind Santal Massoia but it is very boring on my skin.
I have a large collection, which is what I want. There are a few perfumes I would sell if doing so required less attention, primarily somewhat expensive niche perfumes that are well regarded but that I don’t care for so much, and would prefer to have the money for others that I want now. Although I would theoretically swap, it’s too hard to find the right match, in practice. Especially since, having been swap-lifted once, I’m not going to swap more expensive perfumes unless I “know” the other person, which really narrows the field.
This question of favorite perfume by a woman requires more research; maybe tomorrow!
Thanks for the corpse flower update. Spring has happened here: rhodos, magnolias, grape hyacinth. Your mention of ylang ykang has inspired me to actually save up for a trip to a tropical country where I can see ylang ylang, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves vanilla and sandalwood growing. I think I would really like doing that. Thanks! Come too!
Oh, Kanuka, what a fabulous place New Zealand must be! Money and creaky old joints holding me back… so far.
SotD = Vol de Nuit + Cologne du Parfumeur
I grabbed the wrong decant and spritzed the cologne when I wanted VdN. Wearing both is a happy accident.
Fun weekend questions!
1. Bottles are just right but leaning slightly too big, samples/decants are under control.
2. I might like to say bye-bye to
L’Eau de L’Artisan – it is a wonderful refresher or a melon-y weakling on me depending on the day, and I can’t fathom why.
24, Faubourg EdT – it can give me a headache and the EdP does not. I love it dearly so must do more testing before I think about a change over.
3. Hot weather today, so I’m wishing for colognes from Berdoues, Guerlain, and Roger & Gallet, anything crisp and cool. Chanel Eau de Cologne, anyone?
4. Most favorite/most worn from a female perfumer is Infusion d’Iris by Daniela Andrier. Also must mention my love for Hiris by Olivia Giacobetti and Geisha Vanilla Hinoki by Maria McElroy, plus the gender-inclusive wonder of Eau des Merveilles by Ralf Schweiger and Nathalie Feisthauer.
Happy Womens Equality Day and happy weekend! I will wear one of my Ellen Covey scents when I get up….Robin, I don’t think she is listed on your Perfumer/Nose list but I may have missed it.
I would like my perfume collection to be more focussed as I like order and don’t like dribs and drabs…so I would narrow it down to three areas without buying any more scents, but getting rid of excess
1. Smell Bent and Olympic Orchids
2. Serge Lutens and Ys-uzac
And just happily concentrate on those areas for a while and learn more about notes and stuff. I would like Bracken One day but no hurry.
This week’s challenge is orchid and/or lily…I don’t do many flowers so get these two confused a bit. Will start with Van Cleef and Arpels Orchid Vanilla from off-site storage ( if they let me)..
Actually, 3 would include Hermes….yum.
No, but really she would just be listed by house — I don’t usually include indie perfumers on the perfumers list. But still, she ought to be listed somewhere. She’s in good company if that helps — I will never catch up.
1. I am happy with what I have at this moment -so just right
2. Not looking to swap anything at the moment as most of the bottles in my house “technically” don’t belong to me but I “borrow” them all the time-LOL!
3. Can’t think of anything I desperately want/need at the moment
4. Most favorite perfume from a female perfumer that springs to mind is vintage Calyx because I am wearing a contemporary version today…..Phlur Siano…. which to my nose reminds me of vintage Calyx and Pulp(but more user friendly than Pulp)
Siano is similar to vintage Calyx?!???? Awesome! I ordered the Phlur sample kit: Siano, Hepcat, and Olmsted & vaux. Should arrive Monday.
Well to me it is in the sense that it is sweet and tart bordering on rotting fruit but not quite…there is NOTHING like vintage Calyx (the Prescriptives version…not the Clinique one that currently sells) but to my wonky nose Siano definitely has a similar vibe…cousins, maybe? Calyx, however, is /was more mouth puckering..if you know what I mean
Hepcat is potent! so be prepared! I think it will be great in cold weather.
Oh nice. Looking forward and thank you! for the heads up on Hepcat. Its notes appealed to me.
I don’t understand the first question.
I find that my perfume mood changes so much that one months meh becomes the thing I want to wear everyday later anorher month. So after doing a gifting clear out last winter I’m not quite ready to cull much now.
Right now I am testing some Nuit a Bali and Nuit a Montauk perfumes and quite liking them, especially Memory Motel and a patch one whose name I am forgetting. I’d take both or either!
For favorite perfume by a woman, off the top of my head I have to say I really really love Liz Moores’ Tobacco Road. I like all of the line other than Salome, which I can appreciate but not wear.
Tobacco Rose! Oof. Doing this on my phone yields mistakes galore.
Oh, i liked Tobacco Road better…kind of dusty tobacco. I can remember camping near tobacco fields when I was a kid , near Nelson .
1. My guilt is speaking…probably a bit too big, even though I haven’t been down the rabbit hole for very long.
2. Need to go:
Donna Karan Gold (unsuccessful blind buy)
Kenzo Flowertag (see above)
SL Santal Majuscule (really unfortunate blind buy)
PdE Yuzu Fou (really need to stop it with the blind buy)
3. Got the wants for:
Amouage Lyric Woman (a girl can dream)
Dame Mate, Heliotrope & Patchouli, Dark Horse
Santal Massoia (the SA insisted I take a sample of this, and I liked it at home, even though I disliked it in the store)
Tauer Lonesome Rider, Vanilla Flash
4. Theorema, no contest.
SOTD = Theorema and a bit of 10 Corso Como body oil.
Y’all stay safe and dry, whatever you are doing and wherever you are!
Yo Nancy, I would so swap you some Lyric for some Jicky!
Here’s my email if you are interested: ann dotty eisenberg attagirl comcast dotty net
I am interested! Sending an email now, bear in mind we have spotty internet access right now
1. Too big, in terms of several bottles I never wear, and tons of samples many of which I have yet to even try.
2. Most of what I’d like to swap is not really swap bait but would like to rehome Sensuous Nude, l’Heure Bleue, Lolita Lempicka, Burberry Rhythm, Goutal Passion, Cartier la Panthere and probably a few more I’ve forgotten.
3. I’d love to come across Ambra Aurea, Slumberhouse Kiste, Iris Celadon, Zoologist Civet, and maybe Rubj.
4. Parfums de Nicolas Odalisque.
I am going to split a bottle of Iris Celadon. If you are interested in a swap, I can swap you some of Ambra Aurea- all this talk of reformulayions prompted me to get a new bottle. Marianna_r@yahoo.com
Oh yay! I’ll email tomorrow, thank you! ????
1) Manageable sized. I keep a fairly steady turnover and move things I’m not wearing out pretty quickly.
2) I gurss I’ll see what I’m willing to part with when the swap meet comes around.
3) A ittle more Ella, Musc Nomade, Jaisalmer
4) Still live my Barbara Bui and Aroma M Geisha Noire, Vanilla Hinoki, and Blanche (in that order)
Out in a hotel Riverhead, Long Island for a wedding in Peconic Bay later today. Commando for now but am leaning towards Ylang 49 or Ella later. Maybe Oriza’s Jardin d’Armide if it cools down. I packed quickly but then told my impatient spouse I needed an hour to select my potential scents, lol.
I am so with you on the love for Barbara Bui and Aroma M. There are many days in the cold winter where it seems only Barbara Bui will do, generally snuggled under a warm blanket with my favorite cat and Netflix
That’s the best of all scenarios!
Perfect wedding day weather! Hope it’s tons of fun!
Hello, very good morning, afternoon, evening, whatever. My perfume collection is big, but too big? Maybe. Probably. It will almost certainly get bigger yet, so then again, maybe not. Much that I want I cannot buy in A-NZ, so I buy full bottles of beauty when I’m overseas, because if you live here, you learn to act on perfume opportunities or go without. This means that my collection is not only a large population but also takes up a lot of space. I can’t swap bad buys away as the rest of you can, but there is a sense in which I don’t mind, because I sometimes learn to love my mistakes (J’ai Ose, I’m looking at you!). So, overall, I am very satisfied, but I’m also looking forward to buying Aedes de Venustas Pelargonium next year, and a couple of others too.
By wittering on, I have probably managed to answer all the questions except a fave by a woman. Ummmm….dunno. I rather like Galop, but I also like Myrrhe Ardente and lots of others by women about equally. No single one stands out for me or speaks to me the way Black Cashmere, Dries van Noten and 31 Rue Cambon do.
On to an easier question: SOTD is Maharani, just ‘cos. Eric sends greetings to perfumistas everywhere. He is draped over my right arm as I type–definitely NOT an asset in this activity. Dunno where the little stripey joblets are. They’re ominously quiet, so they’re probably combining their talents to make fire, or something equally destructive. I should go and find out.
Be well, all.
Oh I hope it’s not fire! Maybe just mischief?
Oooh Eric is such a sweetheart Sounds like it is lucky your little stripy friends haven’t got opposable thumbs…
I think if they did have opposable thumbs, they would have built a rocket by now and would have launched themselves into space, or, more likely, Father Luke’s bedroom in the apartment next door. Father Luke is a bird lover, so this would not be a happy encounter….
SOTD is Assam of India. Our dishwasher died a spectacularly dramatic death last night and so we’ve been in and out of Lowe’s all day shopping for a new one. And a fridge. And a stove. Our house is 80 years old and our appliances are from the late 80’s so our MO has been to wait for one to die and then replace them all. So, I’m not that heartbroken about it.
1. Is your current collection too small, too big, or just right?
-Hard to say. I feel like I currently own all of the scents that I’ve enjoyed enough to own a full bottle of, but there’s still so much out there I’d like to try.
2. What are a few perfumes you wish you could swap away (even if you have no intention of actually swapping)?
-I honestly can’t think of any that I wouldn’t immediately regret letting go of.
3. What are a few perfumes you wish you would see available for swap?
-Not sure off of the top of my head.
4. What’s your absolute favorite perfume that was made by a woman?
-Wood Sage and Sea Salt! Christina Nagal’s last one for Jo Malone, If I remember right.
I am sorry about your dishwasher but you are smelling good
Thank you! Couldn’t think of a more dishwasher-shopping-appropriate scent than something that gives off such a soapy vibe. And really the worst part about all of this (other than the forking over of cash) was having to clean up the mess that the old one made in its death rattle. My reaction was pretty much “OH DARN, the dishwasher is broken?…guess we have to get a new one. “
Oooh, just thought of a few for number 3! Would love to get my hands on a few of the Lush Gorilla scents like Silky Underwear. I would also hit the lottery if someone offered up a bottle of Rosabotanica.
I have dishwasher woes as well of the same era. Read your post above about postponing your trip to DC…I was going to offer a small bottle of balenciaga Rosabotanica in the next freebie meet. I will hold onto it and perhaps we can meet up at Arielle Shoshana for a hand off.
AHHHH That would be amazing!
Absolutely. If you look at previous swapmeets – you can find my contact information.
1. My collection is seriously way too big. I have many many that I never wear and they sit in a cabinet. I bought them at earlier times when I was still learning about perfume and somehow they have just stuck around. I worry about down-sizing everything if I have to move from my current house–books, papers, collectibles, dishes, perfume.
2. To swap away–I have somewhat high quality department store brand perfumes by, say, Badgley Mischka (The One), Calvin Klein (Euphoria), Guerlain Insolence, Ange ou Demon, etc., that I never wear.
3. To get in a swap: not likely, but some unusual niche items such as Arquiste.
4. Favorite by a woman: It might be too early to say this (in terms of time of acquaintance), but I’d probably pick Calling All Angels. If one earlier than that, probably OJ Woman.
SOTD is another lovely Tanya Bochnig creation, Bohemian Spice. I’m loving it in the cooler weather here!
I love Bohemian Spice, too. It has gotten cooler in the mornings and a modest spritz may be just right. My poor co-workers will have to deal with it if it turns out to be TOO MUCH!
1 I think its just about right, theres one or two things I want but I don’t want a huge collection because I dont have a home base right now. 2 and 3 I love to swap for some Sauf and I swap two limited edition bottles of Jo Malone that dont agree with me. 4 Theres probably more than one but Ill go with Passage d’Enfer.
1. Too big!
2. None unless…
3. NV Mohur was up for swapping when I might part with Une Rose Chypree and L’A Vert Violette.
SOTD Lancome Aroma Tonic
I used to wear that a lot when it came out. Is it still available or discontinued? A real fresh tea
It’s available in UK, not sure about elsewhere.
Oh, I’ll play, then I’ll go back and read comments.
1. Just right
2. Calvin Klein Reveal, in the Chandler Burr bottle; Karl Lager Floriental, Marc Jacobs Blush. Be gone, already
3. A partial bottle or decant of Amouage Interlude Woman, Montale Almande Oriental, Parfums d’Empire Wazamba
4. Donna Karan Black Cashmere
Forgot my sotd: a few days of vintage Obsession parfum which I am about to reboot with some SJP Stash. It is blissfully cool and beautiful here in the lower Great Lakes and I feel guilty because of our many friends and family members living along the Gulf Coast. How does anyplace deal with three feet of rain??
Was commando earlier…now, SOTD = E&J French Gray
It smelled ok on paper, then I got a sample from Sephora. I also bought the rollerball because Triple Points. I wore the sample today and I smell like a soapy mess. At least I smell clean. I am returning the rollerball.
Yeah I’m going to return my rollerball of French Gray (because triple points) too. It wasn’t soapy on me, but it was just musk and neroli. No lavender to be detected. Not bad, but not great.
E&J Amethyst on the other hand — yes yes yes! Wonderful tobacco, not too sweet. Will definitely be wearing this when it’s cooler. But today… it’s sweltering hot. I’m mellllllllting!
I liked the Amethyst as well, although I love the name French Gray.
I liked them both…definitely got lavender from the FG (but then again I think I am supersensitive to lavender cause I smell it in several of the Tauers as well as the Hiram Greens). Amethyst was spice and vanilla….no tobacco…and very sweet on my skin. Liked em both But the best part is they lasted for HOURS on my scent eating skin so I experienced a REAL drydown
OOPs…just realized that I said “liked them both” twice!
So, I’m guessing that you kind of liked them, right?
Skin is so funny. I also got lavender, but I think it’s because I do not like lavender. I got mostly tobacco with amethyst , and no longevity. In the end decided I didn’t need either one.
I also did not get lavender.
I’m not confident about my nose being savvy to lavender. For instance, I got no lavender from Mon Guerlain the first few times I wore it and then BAM, lavender, all from the same sample.
Did you like any of the other EJs, Hajusuuri? Black, White, Bourbon, Rose?
I liked Bourbon well enough to buy a roller ball which I decanted to an atomizer. I also bought Amethyst which smells very much like Bourbon! The common thread is Vanilla!
So clever to decant a roller ball fragrance to an atomizer. Do you have a source for reliable 5 ml atomizers you might like to recommend?
1. Don’t really know how to answer this: it’s too big in that I have things I don’t wear but it’s too small in that there are things I still want.
2. A few things that I bought because they were “a good buy”. Apparently, they weren’t. Reed Accra, L’agent Provocateur, Bulgari Jasmine Noir with a stupid atomizer sprayer.
3. Amouage Bracken.
4. Olivia Giacobetti for En Passant and Safron Troublant.
SOTD is Black Amber.
Feeling a bit overwhelmed this morning, so I went with Mugler Cologne, which I find easy and reassuring.
1. I’m very happy with the size of my collection of fbs, but my decants/samples are a little out of hand!
2. I have several minis that I’m planning on swapping, and maybe a fb of OdlR’s Oriental Lace. Conflicted because it was a gift and I don’t hate it, but I never wear it either.
3. I’d actually love to swap for some soap/bath products.
4. Dzing. Runner-up Passage d’Enfer.
Hello & happy weekend!
Thinking about all our TX friends; hope & pray all is well.
I got an early flight out Friday morning, thank goodness, although staying at The Four Seasons on the co.’s dime for a few more days wouldn’t have been the worst thing.
SOTD: sampling Cafe Tuberosa and so far finding it quite enjoyable.! Coffee note opening is scrumptious and although that dies down it does not disappear. The scent seems to be lasting as well.
Re: my so-called collection, I don’t have as many bottles as I do decants and I’d say I really need to get some order to that category. I’ve given lots away over the past 6 months, need to let go of stuff that’s not being used, and have some interest in FBs on a couple of scents.
Swap? No clue right now. Wish I was more organized!
Favorite by a female currently would be Sofia Grojsman for the scent Rose Rebelle Respawn.. simple, unique and beautiful.
I really liked the coffee in the new Atelier Cologne…not too sweet, just right.
I think they nailed this one and I’m happy to not see another citrus scent from them. I see Sephora is offering a travel spray but it’s sold out evidently.
Is it black coffee/coffee beans or creamy, sweetened coffee? So many coffee ‘fumes seem to do the latter (which doesn’t count as coffee in my book.)
On my skin it is black coffee beans…coffee…real coffee…but not bitter….no cappuccino…coffee
and kpaint Sephora carries it (even my teeny tiny one) so get thee in there and score a free sample!
Rose Rebelle is amazing
Yep, I’m hooked.
You two have planted a new lemming…
Do you want me to send you some Rose Rebelle when I send your package out?
Just to be clear since I made this mistake once already in purchasing a full bottle of the original Rose Rebelle, my preference is for the later version which is the Rose Rebelle Respawn. The original I could not stand.
My local Sephora just got Cafe Tuberosa. When the SA was making the sample, she started sniffing around and wondered why she was smelling coffee.
My Nordstrom just got the Prada Infusions but boo hiss, no Rose! I will likely get one of the bottles either during 10 points or with my gift card on which I accumulate all my Notes for the year and use to make an indulgent purchase.
I want a Nordstrom’s in NYC! Will it ever happen?
Supposed to be done in 2018!
Well, I’m enjoying this last year when the suburbs actually have one store that New York City doesn’t, ha
1. Is your current collection too small, too big, or just right?
– Like a few people here, I suspect, I find my collection is both too big and too small. :^)
2. What are a few perfumes you wish you could swap away (even if you have no intention of actually swapping)?
– I’d happily part with a few undistinguished perfumes in my collection, for example Penhaligons “Bayolea”, Romeo Gigli “For Man”.
3. What are a few perfumes you wish you would see available for swap?
– A UK person swapping hard-to-find American stuff like D S & Durga or Olympic Orchids would be fun, wouldn’t it?
4. What’s your absolute favorite perfume that was made by a woman?
– Hmm, toss-up between Cecile Zarokian for Majda Bekkali “Mon Nom est Rouge” or Annick Goutal for her own “Sables”.
SOTD today was Profumum Roma “Acqua di Sale”.
Notes are cedar, seaweed, salt and myrtle.
Good accompaniment for a walk of several hours with TOMK to Cannon Hill Park and back along what I like to call the majestic River Rea (maybe 10 feet wide and 2 feet deep).
SOTE is Hermes “Rose Ikebana”.
Notes are mandarin, spices, fruity notes, musk, cassia, tea, rose, lemon and rhubarb.
I didn’t get to post yesterday, but wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your story! When the pirates got him I actually said out loud “oh no!” You are very talented. Hope you and TOMK enjoyed the walk.
Live you answer to No. 1. That is exactly how I feel about the size of my collection.
Yes. Spot on!
Sending out good thoughts to all who are coping with Harvey. Been there, and it’s no fun.
1. My collection is too big. There, I said it. Now I need to do something about it.
2. I’m not a swapper, but I need to cull the perfumes I just never (or very rarely) wear. I can’t even tell you what they are – I forget I have them!
4. Tabac Aurea, by Laurie Erickson (Sonoma Scent Studios).
Tabac aurea is just beautiful! I love the 17ml size bottles too????
Gah! How could forget the wonderful Manoumalia by Sandrine Videault? It’s definitely tied for favorite.
LOVE Tabac Aurea.
It was a toss up between Laurie and Mandy for me!
If you have perfumes to rehome but don’t want them to be freebies nor want to get anything back, maybe you can do what I did at the last swapmeet where I swapped for a donation to a not for profit organization of their choice. I suggested the focus (I think I mentioned arts and education) but I really left it up to the person to decide the amount and the organization. I did not ask for proof as I let their conscience (the promise to do good) be their guide. I am no goodie-goodie because if someone offered chocolate, I gladly accepted
Hey, with chocolate all bets are off!
There’s a women’s shelter here that told me last week that they’d be very happy to take any perfume off my hands, so I need to get myself in gear and do it. I love your idea of rehoming, and if I hadn’t already committed, I’d do that. Great idea!
I too just gave a large bag of hotel toiletries to a local women’s shelter. Makes me smile to think a number of homeless women are enjoying Hermes and other high end shower products.
That’s a really great idea. I should look into this.
That is a great idea!
Not all shelters will take used items, which seems silly.
Wearing Dzongkha today, a long-time favourite.
My collection is very big, but also missing some things I really want, so it will continue to grow. I have a bunch of things I want to swap, mostly things that turned out to be too masculine for me like Jovoy Les Jeux Sont Faits, David Jourquin Cuir Tabac, Micallef Arabian Diamond and Bois 1920 Classic.
I would love to get more Aedes Cierge de Lune plus Oeillet Bengale and Pelargonium, as well as a backup bottle of Bottega Veneta, Gourmand Coquin and Dries Van Noten.
My favourite female fragrances are Les Orientalistes for Annick Goutal by Isabelle Doyen.
Maybe we can do a split of the Cierge de Lune and Pelargonium travel sprays unless you also want to have the bottle.
I am lusting after the bottles.
I don’t think they have their newer releases in Travel Size (at least online)
SOTD is Guerlain Floral Romantique. Love it. Wouldn’t pay full price for the whole bottle, though, so I’m using up my decant.
TOTALLY PSYCHED because Gaze finished up New Cadet Week today, and all the freshman cadets were given family leave until 6 pm Sunday. He brought two of his buds whose families couldn’t come back for the New Cadet parade today home with him – they are right now out on the farm in the Gator, checking out his sheep. The commander of his battalion warned us that the cadets would probably not want to do anything besides eat and sleep, but these guys have played chess and talked their heads off all afternoon (after demolishing the restaurant lunch buffet). Gaze’s comment on the week was this: “It was like Angry Band Camp. Like band camp and boot camp had an angry baby, and it yelled a lot. And gave you foot blisters.”
1. Too many things I don’t wear. And yet, lacking several things I would wear more often if I had more than a 5ml decant.
2. I have several things to cull.
3. I just signed up for 30ml of Chanel 1932 edt in a split. That’s all I really need. Oh, and some more vintage Coty Chypre parfum.
4. Hands-down favorite is Le Temps d’une Fete (Patricia de Nicolai).
Yay! So happy you get to have time with your son this weekend! I don’t think I would do well at Angry band camp. Good luck to him!
Go Gaze!! (Angry band camp, perfect!)
Loved your story and so glad that you get to spend time with your son.
Sounds like he is adjusting really well to college
I love Gaze’s description! That is too funny – and I’m sure very apt.
Yay for Gaze (and you)!
How nice that you were able to spend time with Gaze!
Hi everyone. I think the number of bottles I have is just right, but a lot of the bottles are just not my cup of tea (or 32oz diet coke) anymore. I would swap away about ten various designer scents. I’m currently putting a few away to give to a friend next time she visits. I would swap for things I miss from my old perfume collection, like original Dolce Vita, Sicily, EL Dazzling Gold, New West, Fendi, Kl. Off the top of my head I have to go with YSL Paris for favorite female perfumer perfume. My sotd was Angel Muse. I layered it with BBW White Mocha Kiss body cream, it worked out pretty well.
I think Angel Muse is great. You smell wonderful.
new West! Loved that one too! No one ever mentions it!
It was so great! And so hard to explain why. I went through a 100 ml bottle when it first came out, then I only ever saw it one more time but it had already been changed. I’m guessing that anything vintage out there would not have held up. It was an odd one.
Oh no vintage would NOT have held up as there were an abundance of citrus notes in there….and yes, it was definitely an ODD one but so incredibly addictive….I too burned through a 100 mls in the late 80s(??? guessing at the decade-LOL!) but never replaced it….this is what makes me sad about vintage…..even if you can get your hands on one it just doesn’t smell the same as when it first debuted (this is how I feel about vintage Cristalle too….the top notes NEED to be intact for it to be as glorious as I remembered it to be)
As a fairly new perfumista, I don’t think I have nearly enough- a problem in which I intend on slowly remedying when I get my new job in Albuquerque. Since I don’t have many FBs, I don’t have much to swap other than samples and decants. Some of my favorites by women are Philosykos, Eau de Merveilles, OJ Woman, and Eau d’Hadrien and Encens Flamboyant. So many good ones by women!
I have Loewe 001 for women on one arm and Loewe 001 for men on the other. I’m pretty meh about both but do prefer the men’s.
If it helps, wish I could go back in time and not buy half of what I did!
Same here! Wish I had all that wasted money back.
I try not to think of it that way. Just like one must get rid of old shoes, clothes, jewelry, handbags, whatever, perfumes too served their purpose at the time.
Ha, except for some of my purchases, the only purpose they ever served was to take up space on my shelf
I see OJ woman mentioned a few times as answer to 4, and i agree, it is a great scent.
But I always thought the ‘nose’ is Geza Schoen. And he is a guy, right?
Oops you are right! My bad!
..or it was a collab. I am not sure. Could be that linda was creative director and Geza the perfumer?
Information about it is kinda unclear….fragrantica mentions Geza. Ormonde Jayne website mentions nothing about the perfumer.
Yes, Linda was the creative director and Geza the perfumer.
I thought “Geza” would be a woman’s name! Oops!
I have a friend named Geza, and I’m pretty sure she is a woman and always has been.
A guy, I’d say.
Geza is a geezah! ;^
Geza Schoen is nevertheless a man.
Happy Weekend All!
SOTD: Still early hete and I am enjoying the last of the Le Petite Robe Noire EdP that is clinging to my pjs. Might wear Chanel Cuir de Russie EdP later or possibly Bandit EdP…something leathery anyway.
1. Collection feels about right. There are a couple of things I’d like to add and I’ll keep exploring but many more bottles and I think it would feel overwhelming rather than enjoyable. It current sits quite nicely on two shelves at eye-level in my wardrobe and I can see everything and that’s how I like it.
2. YSL Cinema EdP is probably the bottle I regret most having bought without enough testing. It gets on my nerves after an hour or so.
3. Live in Australia and haven’t managed to get plugged into any local swapping networks yet. But would be interested in Santal Majescule, L’Ombre Dans L’Eau and Bracken Woman.
4. Galop by Christine Nagel.
#3 Do get in touch with Portia Turbo @ australianperfumejunkies!
Awww I really like Cinema! Isn’t it funny how well all love different scents?!
I know Someone up higher was lamenting about having regrets of blind buying Santal Majuscule and that’s next up on my wishlist. I guess that’s part of what makes this obsess…er… hobby interesting.
Yep, that was me – I’d love to swap with you, but I’m in the US. I hope you can find your SL!
I loooove Cinema. I’d take Lillibet’s bottle if she weren’t on another continent!
SOTD AP Iris Celadon.
1. I am ok with my current collection, but I would like fewer full bottles and more large decants.
2. Mainly, several Jo Malones (Tudor Rose & Amber, Lily of the Valley and Ivy, Dark Amber & Gingerlily, Blue Hyacinth) and a couple TDCs (limon de cordoba, sel de vetiver).. there are probably more.
3. Vintage perfumes. Hermessences. Amouage Dia. Decants of new interesting scents (Papillon Dryad, FM Superstitious, the new Aedes and Naomi Goodsir)
4. Olivia Giacobetti’s En Passant..? Might be others. I rarely remember who made what.
I’d love to try Dark Amber & Gingerlily and TDC SdV if you’re up for a decant swap.
I’d love to try Dark Amber & Gingerlily and TDC SdV if you’re up for a decant swap.
I couldn’t decide on a SOTD this morning so I went with 31 Rue EDT on one forearm and Shangri La on the other. Weird, I know, but it’s the first cool, low humidity day we’ve had in a while and I just couldn’t choose.
1. My collection is okay in size but it does bother me that I have several unloved bottles that I rarely wear even though I really do like some of them. Yet, there are always new scents that temp me. I really don’t want my collection to get much bigger so some will have to go. I haven’t had the time to sort and really figure out those that I am willing let go of.
2. Possibly La Danza Delle Libellule, Peche Cardinal, Roma Imperiale, not really sure. Also Arpege, current version , Vanille Noire, Eau des Vahines, Sensuous Nude.
3. Opardu, Mohur extrait, vintage Arpege.
4. Annie Buzantian, Neela Vermeire
Hi! I’m getting back in love with perfume (and reading about it) after quite a long break.
1. My shelf is telling me that it’s too big, but I’m craving a few more bottles and my heart is telling me it’s too small.
2. Jo Malone White Jasmin & Mint. It’s fine, but I just don’t reach for it and I’d rather have…
3. JM Blackberry & Bay, Diptyque L’Ombre dans l’eau (I spritz the EDP on a whim in the shop the other day and OMG!!! Out of this world!) or Phylosykos, or AG Nuit étoilée, or Hermes Rose Ikebana, Neroli Doré or Rhubarbe Écarlate, or L’Air du Désert Maroccain, or…..
4. Probably Eau de Merveilles
Hello Vanie! Good to see you.
Thanks! After a long pause of not even checking the blog posts, I had gone back to lurking and now feel like participating to the discussion again! Weird how we can go through phases like that, from infatuation to disinterest and back again.
Yeah, I’ve had things do that, too. My most recent was with gardening. I just couldn’t be bothered with the container garden the past couple of years. Maybe next spring I’ll feel the urge.
Interesting questions… Especially as I have been wondering lately what it might be like to live with very few things indeed. The lure of the signature (as an idea, anyway) has always appealed to me. With this in mind:
1. Probably big enough at a handful of bottles. There’s at least one more fragrance I’d like to try really living with for a solid piece of my life (the current formulation of Guerlain’s Vetiver), and one or two I’d like to test but so far have eluded me (Kouros & Equipage), but I have a feeling it will all boil down to me and my bottles of Eau Sauvage, Caron Pour un Homme and Habit Rouge sooner or later (did I mention that I’m classics obsessed?)
2. Caron’s Le Troisieme Homme. It is a great, well-built fougere with very solid performance, but (and I realize with this particular fragrance in particular, this is very subjective) it feels a little too ‘masculine’ for me. Life is strange.
3. Certainly the newer Vetiver (a lovely person sent me samples of the vintage from the 70’s and 90’s. Call me a heretic, but I like the newer stuff more.) Eau Sauvage too (I’m almost out!)
4. Most likely Fou d’Absinthe by Olivia Giacobetti.
Habit Rouge and Eau Sauvage are wonderful. I’ve been wanting to try Vetiver, thanks for the reminder!
Heretic! Just kidding???? I feel like a lot of perfumes from the 70/80s were extremely bold in general. But it could be just my choices from that era. ????
The 3rd Man is much bolder than I’d thought… I first tried it in NYC at the Caron Boutique there a few years ago and was very impressed, but I did not know myself as well then, either. It’s funny how much variation there is in terms of reviews out there… Some find Le3 to be very feminine or unisex, but I find the use of indolic jasmine very macho. Great stuff, but I work at a boarding school, so discretion is the watchword. If anyone in Canada would be interested in a trade, please do send me a note!
My collection is bigger than it needs to be becuz of rookie mistakes. I should have just bought the bottle of Micallef Rose Extreme that I wanted instead of blind buying a lot of bottles off the discounters because they were cheap. Quality over quantity. I also need to pay attention to to the actual notes instead of purchasing something just because one of my perfume idols on NST wrote a great review. (But who can blame me?)
I was trying to be one of the cool kids with these L Artisans, but I think Im ready to admit I simply don’t get them. There, I said it, right here on a perfume blog; L Artisan does not work for me.
I’d really like to swap them for Chinatown, or Park Ave or Chelsea Flowers from Bond No 9.
Can I cheat and say everything Germaine Celleir made is my favorite perfume made by a woman?
L Artisan doesn’t work for me either.
It rarely works for me either.
Same. Lots of likes, but it’s just not *my* house. Nor is Annick Goutal or Serge Lutens. And there, I said it.
It makes me feel better to know I am not the only one, thank you!
That Quality Over Quantity thing is a good lesson, and one I’m getting better at.
What a great lesson! Q>q
Someone on this thread was looking to swap bond no 9 – it’s hard to scroll up and down to find them, but they are on here!
1. It is way too big.
2. Micallef Ananda, Goutal Eau de Camille, Cacharel Gloria, Salvatore Ferragamo, Joop Le Bain. Decants of vintage Mitsouko. I’ve tried and tried over the years and I do not like Mitsouko at all.
3. L’air de rien. I swapped away my bottle and now I miss it. Dior Poison (original, Midnight and Tender), Valentino Valentina pink. Prada Infusin d’iris absolute. Maybe some Shalimar. Something with a lot of tart blackcurrants among the notes.
4. Tresor, always.
Anna, if you are in CONUS, I have a bottle of L’Air de Rien looking for a new home! Please send an email beas.beverly atttt geeee mail dot commm.
I love tart blackcurrant notes, too. IIRC, Elisa G. wrote up some recs for them on BdJ.
1. Probably my collection is about the right size–it fits in its allotted box; but needs judicious swapping and more decant-draining.
2. I have a few vintage things I picked up at thrift stores with the thought that I-or someone else–will love them. Need to move them to their future homes. Also just need to swap more decants from big bottles I will never finish on my own.
Must prepare a list!
3. If there is anything I want, I only want a bit of it. Like 15 mls or less. Oh and that my vintage bottles that I do love never run fully dry, because I won’t be able to afford to replace them.
4. Theorema. Manoumalia (though I only have a sample of this one) Ancient Resins. Petit Rien…I could go on.
In the morning, when I read the question about the size of the collection, my immediate reaction was similar to Coumarin’s: it’s not my collection that is too big, those are my shelves that are too small… And then I spent several hours rearranging my bottles. I’m not sure how it happened, but after I’ve freed one more shelf in my closet for perfumes, I still do not have too much free space. Perfumes, even when still in their bottles, are like gas: they expand and occupy all available space.
I accumulated some perfumes that I do not wear (mostly, gifts and “you like perfumes, take this bottle”-style rehoming), so I hope to find time to participate in the swapmeet. I’m not sure though that I need or even want any more perfumes.
My favorite perfume – Dawn Spencer Vert pour Madame.
Happy relaxing Sunday to everyone!
Right? I’d guess it’s true for all (or at least most) of us that if we had the money and space, our collections would be the size of a large boutique.
Wearing Phlur Hanami which reminds me of a bit of Angel Muse (I think it is because of the hazelnut note) but I like it MUCH better without the vetiver and the addition of fig and sandalwood…it’s yummy!
That sounds just wonderful!
Also – I made an eye balm from a recipe I saw on wellness mama – Shea butter and coconut oil melted with vegetable pellets – then added Rosehip & geranium oil – it’s taken a couple of days semi solidify – but I thought if made it again without the geranium oil it might be a good base to mix with the essential oils I purchased from Eden.
Even easier is to get your hands on some beeswax pellets…3ml essential oil to 1/2 tsp beeswax pellets….melt in microwave, let solidify and ……instant solid perfume!
and Yay to you for making an eye cream!!!!!
oh yay! what a great idea – now I can make little perfumes with all my sample oils, and I really over did it ordering 1ml perfume samples that are hard to use – I will definitely try this, thank you!!!
Hmm.. my collection is probably a little too big, I think I would regret any that I might swap away tho. There are about 5 bottles on my To Buy list, but can’t afford any for some time. I’m desperate for some Tauer Incense Rose for autumn, but frustratingly no UK sites have decants of this one- if any one in UK has some they would be happy to swap, please let me know!
I might put my bottle of BV’s knot on eBay, it’s pretty, and nice, but doesn’t sing to me.
I’ve got an almost full roller ball of L’Ombre dans l’eau edp which is surpass to requirements as now I have a FB.
My favourite perfume I own by a woman may be Marni, or Infusion d’Iris. Or Fracas- so hard to choose just one!
Stupid spell check! Of course ‘surpass’ should be ‘surplus’.
Tauer does not ship to the UK? My preference is to buy directly from him rather than decants, but he ships to the US so it’s no issue here.
No, which I’m afraid for me means he’s not the perfume Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy. :^)
You can get bottles and samples from Les Senteurs: http://www.lessenteurs.com/c/2122/Incense-Rose
Another gorgeous day here, fall is coming! Wearing Aquiline Black Sugar for the moment. May switch to Wazamba later.
Fall! What is that, pray tell? It is 94 degrees at noon here. Will pass 100 for sure.
SOTD is Guerlain AA Pamplelune, trying to combat the heat in some crisp citrus.
Shush! If no-one tells Mother Nature, she might forget for another few weeks. I could forgive a very late Autumn…
1. I think my collection is the right size, however I feel it is huge because I mostly own full bottles and I cannot reach many of them as I wish. I have been trying to finish samples from my big stash and decants which are few.
2. Nothing much. I have to check. Things that I bought at a garage sale this year that did not work for me might be good candidates for swapping or give them for free.
3. Either during the swapmeet, splitmeet or freebiemeet: Corsica Furiosa, Jaisalmer, Galop, Iris de Nuit, Arielle Shoshana Eau de Parfum, Mediterraneo, En Passant, the list is long…
4. Hiris, Le Temps d’une Fete.
SOTD Mom Guerlain. Not one of my favorites for sure.
I tried Arielle Shoshana this week and on to the to-buy list it went! So fun!
A nice and fun one for sure. I hope it is offered in the upcoming meets. A full bottle would be too much for me.
My collection of full bottles is probably too big. Many are likely a good fit to swap away decants. I’m trying to stay with decants or small bottles from now on (30 ml or fewer)
Sottile again today since the little travel sample I created for my trip was at hand and ready for draining.
Hoping everyone in TX is okay and stocked up. Looking like Houston area is in for a long haul of dealing with the flooding. Saw a big apartment complex on TV that looked cut off due to surrounding water. Yikes.
If every house did 15 ml bottles, it would be a perfect perfume world.
My apartment was cut off for a bit but the water went down. I think we’re going to do this dance at least once more though.
Yep, I’m in Cypress, about to get pounded again.
Hope everybody in Harvey’s path is safe.
SOTD Cardinal by Heeley while watching Doctor Who with my hubby and daughter.
1 30 is my ideal number and I have 35 or 36 so…
2 would love to find new homes for some of this scents that I like but don’t love like Mimosa pour Moi, Gold, Miss Dior,Rose en Noir and a couple more I can’t remember now
3Something with fig, dark roses or incense
4 a tie de Bachmakov,Theor3ma, Encre Noire and Ormonde Woman even if is a collaboration with Geza Schoen.
Have a nice Sunday
SOTD = Frederic Malle Superstitious
Sophisticated soapy and I am liking it.
I have family drama unfolding. Wish me luck!
Good luck …..
Ugh family drama is no fun. Good luck!
Good luck, dear hajusuuri. At least you’re wearing something you like.
Maybe a few extra spritzes will act like a force field … ????
Good luck Hajusuuri. I hope everything gets solved fast.
Oh no! Family drama is the worst. Hope things come to a swift, decisive, and un-dramatic end????????
Good luck – I hope everything is resolved wit as little drama as possible.
Family drama can be so unsettling. Hope it blows over, or resolves quickly!
Bleah! So sorry to hear that you are dealing with family drama, in addition to the extra work this weekend. That sucks.
Good luck Hajusuuri! Perhaps you have a good perfume for dealing with family drama in your wardrobe – may the force be with you.
That’s never fun. I hope things settle down soon!
Hope all our Houston people are ok. I’m in Alief, on the west side of the city, and my immediate area is fine. The streets haven’t flooded, the closest bayou isn’t out of its banks in this area (yet), and I still have power and water.
1. I’ve been thinking about this.. I’m not sure if it’s the size of my collection, but I’ve been thinking I could stand to do a cull because I do have things I never wear.
2. I’m not sure what I would swap.. actually the stuff I want to get rid of would be more fit for a freebie meet than a swap, if I could get rid of them even then…lol
3. I don’t usually go into swaps looking for any particular thing.. maybe because I recognize that what I have to swap is not usually high-value stuff.
4. Favorite perfume by a female perfumer.. I’d nominate PPC Samarinda.
Sweetgrass, happy to hear things are ok in your hood! ????????
Glad to hear you’re doing ok, so far. I am wondering how many of my Austin co-workers will turn up for work on Monday…
So relieved to hear you’re safe! Hope your neighbors have fared well.
So glad to hear you’re ok – stay safe and dry!
Hi sweetgrass! I was thinking about you this morning while watching the news. So glad to see that you posted today and you are okay.
– too big collection missing many i want badly.
– i would like to get rid of some gourmands i never wear like louve and jeux de peau serge lutens and some gifts like miss dior blooming bouquet and gris clair serge lutens.
– never swapped. but i would love to find some discontinued perfumes like neroli annick goutal, red rose comme des garçons.
– en passant olivia giacobetti. an oh so moving lilac experience
Oh my! I just bought bottles of both of those SL’s on steep discount this month because of their impending pull from distribution. I’ll look for you at the swap!
My collection is on the small side, but I like most of what I have. I find there are some gaps in my scent wardrobe. Like what to wear to wear on an evening out when you’re doing to dinner? Some perfumes are too much with food smells…
I would like to swap Fresh Cannabis Santal – it was a gift and something I never would have chosen. I also have a large bottle of TDC Pure Eve/Pure Virgin. I have a lot of friends who are getting married and I swapped dearly for this last time around for one of them. It turns out she got her scents confused and this wasn’t the scent she wanted… sigh.
I wish Andy Tauer’s LDDM would appear for swap. Along with Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan. And a bottle of Aedes Iris Nazarena. I would be thrilled if someone had the new fancy Lancome Jasmin or Lavender or Tuberose scents.
And I need to wear more perfumes made by women. Hmmm…I will pay more attention to this.
Continuing to wish for safety from Harvey for those in his path.
SOTD is Elie Saab Le Parfum.
1) Too small. (Shh, ixnay on the “too large”! What are we trying to do, give Donatella a heart attack?!?)
2) Nothing right now.
3) Cuir de Lancôme and 100ml bottles of 31 Rue Cambon and 1932 EDT. (Hey, a girl can dream, right?)
4) Either Cuir de Lancôme (Calice Becker and Pauline Zanoni) or L’Artisan Dzing! (Olivia Giacobetti).
Sounds like you need to hook up with sayitisntso (see above)
1. Current collection is just about right, which means I’ve got room for more I’ve thinned the herd over the past 6 months and freebie’d out lots of stuff, and done a pretty good job of emptying samples and decants. So it’s at a place where it’s manageable, and thus I can welcome some new things for fall and winter.
2. I’ve gotten rid of most of what I wanted to at this point. Will put a few things up for swap next month.
3. Rosine Roses des Neiges, Papillon Salome, Molinard Habanita, Oriza Legrand Jardins d’Armide, Nobile 1942 Patchouli, SL Iris Silver Mist, Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir and Orange Bitters, Van Cleef collection extraordinaires, Maria Candida Gentile Burlesque, Angel Innocent, Rose de Siwa MDCI. Would also love to see any of these at the Splitmeet
4. Yves Saint Laurent Paris (Sophia Grojsman,) Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois (Laurie Erickson,) Robert Piguet Fracas (Germaine Cellier,) Papillon Salome (Liz Moores,) Lolita Lempicka and L’Eau en Blanc (Annick Ménardo,) Galop d’Hermès and Guerlain Gourmand Coquin (Christine Nagel.)
I’d meant to put this up yesterday but was too busy. I was Tomato Day at my house, which meant putting up 3 cases of tomatoes, 5 lbs of tomatillo salsa, Pesto from the basil plants that didn’t end up in the tomato sauce (which ended up being 6 cups,) and batches of Greek and Italian meatballs. I can’t believe we got everything done by 7pm!
Anyhoo, I’m looking for suggestions in these categories:
– I’ve really been craving them lately. I like Jimmy Choo a lot and recall liking TDC Sublime Balkiss (I probably need more.) I wore Flowerbomb last week and got no fruit or chouli, just caramel. Also tried Coco Noir, which is nice. I’ve got Coco Mlle as well, but haven’t retested it.
Anyway, doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive. I missed the trend when it was a big thing – recs for your faves?
-I have very little in my collection (Angel[s], Coromandel) and have tried very few. Clean, dirty, warm, dry, spicy, new, old – let me know what I should try.
-Ditto above. I’ve smelled so few I’m not even sure I know what it smells like. I’ve got decants of Mona d’Orio Musc and Musc Ravageur and love both but I’m not sure they can even be classified as musks? I am a musk dummy.
Thank you! I have another busy day so won’t be checking in regularly.
Hope everyone in the storm is safe and dry, and has a quick return to normal life.
Compliments on your Tomato Day, and here are some suggestions for patchouli and musk:
Probably you are already familiar with l’artisan patchouli patch and voleur de roses. CdG luxe patchouli is also nice (particularly if discounted).
My favorite musk is SL bois et musc. Yes, it has similarities with several of his other fragrances, but I find this combination particularly appealing.
If you liked Jimmy Choo, I recommend the Exotic version
The bottle comes in different colors, but they smell the same. It’s much more fruitchouli than the original. For musk my absolute favorite is TM Over the Musk. But for a cheapie, Coty Wild Musk is still pretty awesome.
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Fruitchouli Flash from Tauerville – it was a free sample, and I drained it within a week. It just made me smile, and I loved the apricot note.
A musk that I tried and fell in love with was Annick Goutal’s Musc Nomade. Not too sweet, not too funky, definitely not soapy… it was just right, IMO.
Visa by Robert Piguet is a fruitchouli bomb (peach and patch heavy) and is reasonably priced at discounters.
Ok you already know of my patch rec so I won’t go there
No, but seriously, have you tried Dame Perfumery’s Mate, Heliotrope and Patchouli? That is a much more subdued patch in comparison to my dark patchouli essential oil that I slather all over :). I also recommend his New Musk for Man ( I have the oil version but the EDT is nice too..it is a very subtle musk and I love to use it for layering)
And you can get travel sizes which won’t put you out to much financially and if you love them the full bottles are “hajusuuri math” free- $65 for 100 ml but if you order travel sizes before he will most likely give you a 10 percent discount code for a future full bottle….
Nobile 1942 Patch is an amazing boozy/earthy patch. Very impressive
SHL Soleil de Jeddah – not a straight patch, rather than patch/fruitty leather combo. Quite impressive nevertheless.
PG Coze – spicy and warm patch. I made a mistake of wearing it in hot weather once – it was suffocating :).
Laboratorio Olfattivo makes an interesting patch (Patchouliful) – it is a very bright and flowery patch
Sammarco Bond-T and Serge Lutens Borneo 1831.
Yosh Sombre Negra.
I have heard good things about Santa Maria Novella Patchouli, DSH Bodhi Sativa, but I have not tried them.
Oho, it’s Monday. Hello, by the way. Not only is it Monday (ack!), it’s also colder and stormy, the sort of weather we get for a couple of weeks around the equinox, but surely this is too early? Oh no, by my new pink shoes, it’s the END OF AUGUST this week! !!! How did this happen?
All this talk of collections and loves versus likes has made me evaluate mine, especially the “likes”. I tried to set up a system once before to ensure I wore some of my less-loved perfumes, but I was feeling particularly scattered at the time, and I didn’t stick with my very sensible (sounding) plan. This time, I’m simply going to try to wear two of the less-loved each week, but if I need to hurry back to the comfort of the Chanel shelf, no shame, no blame.
To this end, I’m wearing the original Alaia. Very pretty flowers, mostly violet: I have to work really hard to get the notes of clean linen and hot stone that make the scent interesting, but if I use the body lotion as well, i can just catch a whiff of them. However, it’s so fleeting that it makes me feel I’ve zipped past an open gate on a bicycle, travelling rather fast downhill, and just caught an olfactory glimpse of Alaia’s backyard, with the clean laundry drying in a warm winter sun in a paved courtyard all set about with pots of bright flowers. I wish I could go in for a drink of cold water and a chat, sitting on the back step enjoying the sun and the smells, but I flash on by, and the abundant violets remain the dominant memory. It’s OK, I like violets fine, but I like greater complexity more.
Must dash furiously off in all directions. The students have two weeks of break now (laughably called “study leave”) and I have a pile of assignments to mark before I go to Australia next week. Be well, all.
I was sure my collection was way too big (even if I wouldn’t want to part with any of my bottles), but yesterday I had a chance to smell again Le Labo Ylang, and now the collection feels too small again …
Today, I am testing hermes eau des merveilles bleue, and thinking that this stuff is not bad at all.
Keeping an eye on Harvey and heard from one brother that he spent yesterday in the laundry room of a hotel due to tornado concerns, the other has been staying over night at his place of work. The damage this storm has done already is huge. Just hope folks will not put themselves in danger with the flooding.
SOTD: Cafe Tuberosa which I’m still enjoying! My husband is not, unfortunately, but what else is new. I definitely like the beginning stage more than the latter.
smelling good!!! I like the beginning middle and end….(well what is left of the end on my scent eating skin!)
SOTM was Penhaligons “Bayolea”, since I was dissing it yesterday.
Top: mandarin , tangerine and lemongrass;
Mid: cardamom, black pepper, neroli and lavender;
Base: cedar, sandalwood, musk, moss, patchouli and amber.
Well, in fairness, it’s not actively offensive. It’s a men’s cologne. It’s like every other men’s cologne. If you have any other men’s cologne you don’t need this.
SOTE is Robert Piguet “Fracas”.
Top: orange blossom, mandarin, green leaves, peach, hyacinth and bergamot;
Mid: coriander, carnation, tuberose, violet, geranium, osmanthus, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, iris, rose, narcissus and gardenia;
Base: sandalwood, amber, musk, oakmoss, cedar and vetiver.
Ah, that’s more like it! :^)
1. Waay too big!
2. But I don’t seem to be able to part with anything, thus #1.
3. I recently bought Jasmin et Cigarette, which was on my wishlist forever, so I’m pretty content (for the time being). Wearing it today.
4. Currently L’Artisan Parfumeur 2 Violaceum by Daphné Bugey.
I’ve been relieved to see messages from NSTers that I know are in the vicinity of Harvey. Hope you all stay safe and dry!
1. My perfume collection is about right in the number of bottles I have. However, there are some scents that I have “outgrown” or moved on from. And there is always the temptation of new shinies.
2. Escada 2005 (aka Escada Signature), Escada Rockin’ Rio (the original formulation, not the re-release), Bvlgari Omnia (couldn’t smell it the last time I tried it, should retest), and Cool Water Wave for Women (great watermelon note, but has peony in it).
3. Kenzo Jungle L’Elephant in the cute 1oz bottle, Kelly Caleche, and Cuir de Lancome. I’m mostly content with what I have in bottles. I’d LOVE to see more travel sprays in 10 or 15mL.
4. Oof, this one’s hard. The original Prescriptives Calyx, Purple Love Smoke, and Centennial easily come to mind. Pretty sure that I am missing a few favorites, though.
CALYX!!!! We picked the same one!
But I have to say I also love everything and I mean everything made by Laurie Erickson and everything by Jessica September Buchanan (1000 Flowers and the perfumer of Reglisse Noire)
1. Much too small, but it matches my budget
2. I have a nearly full bottle of Today by Avon…. it’s just one bottle, so please don’t be upset if you don’t get it
3. Oh golly, so much, including…
– Heeley’s Cardinal
-Armani prive bois d’encens
-Armani prive iris Celedon
-Chanel la pausa
-Neela Vermiere trayee
and much much more!
4. Still looking for my absolutely favorite perfume!
Cardinal! Love that one too! And someone mentioned that Molinard’s Patchouli is a very inexpensive dupe for Iris Celedon….
and I love your no 1!!!
Nope I was wrong..it is VC & A Moonlight Patchouli
thank you thank you! good to know!!!
Hi all- I see I’m a little late reading through but I’m excited about the swap and freebie meets!
1. I would like to increase my perfume collection. I am slow to purchase – I like to try and try again before purchase. The problem is trying to find small decanta or small bottles to try!
For instance I’d love to try some Guerlains and Chanel’s and Rose Amazone -but samples- from reputable sites – I’m skeptical of eBay-are hard to find.
2. I would like to swap away a decant of Chanel Beige and some Gurlain Terra Cotta perfume.
3. I’d love to have some Gerard Rose Cut, SSS Rose Volupte, R
Hermes Rose Amazone, or Hermes Rhubarb Escalarte.
4. Absolute favorite? Just enjoying several different ones right now..
Happy late summer all!