Now Smell This has a new home — www.nstperfume.com. If you link to us from your website, we’d be thrilled if you’d take a moment to update the URL.
Everything works pretty much the same as it did at the old site, with a few exceptions:
Comments & User Accounts: If you’d registered for a user account at the old site so that you could comment, I’m sorry to tell you that you’ll need to register again in order to comment here (for anyone who missed it, we took a vote on the issue). And as I warned, we not only lost all the user accounts in the move, but all the old comments are now (sadly) attributed to “Anonymous”.
To encourage everyone to register, we’re going to be holding a series of giveaways for registered readers starting next week. Your first comment will always be held for moderation, so if you want to be prepared, you might want to leave a comment somewhere on the site before then.
Categories & Tags: We’ve now got tagging capability. It’s going to be awhile before we manage to go back through all the old posts and get them tagged, but eventually you’ll be able to look at all the posts tagged “rose” or “olfaction” or “candle” or whatever. Several of the old categories — celebrity perfumes, cheap thrills, interviews and dearly departed — have also been converted to tags.
To Do: There are a number of things that still need to be done. Here’s my to do list, in case anyone is interested in what is to come:
- Fix any remaining formatting messes. Mostly done — do let me know if you see a page that has formatting errors.
- Restore the Google Coop search function. Done!
- Find the missing comments. Right now, we've got about 70,000 of the 78,000 (or so) comments from the old site. Update: I've found many, but not yet all of the missing comments.
- Tag all the old articles, and add a tag cloud page.
- See if I can figure out a good way to let people subscribe to comments via email again. For now, your only choice is to subscribe via RSS.
- Over the next, say, 10-20 years, edit back in as many commenter names as I can manage. It has now been over a year since our move, and I have not even finished tagging the old articles. I'm afraid editing commenter names is simply never going to happen!
As always, if you have complaints or suggestions (and if you’ve managed to get a user account already!) do comment. If you find any broken pages and don't have an account, you can email me at robin at nstperfume dot com.
Update: if you have problems logging in on the right hand sidebar — it appears to accept your login information, but then it doesn't appear to have logged you in (in other words, the fields go blank and the title doesn't change to "Welcome"), try pressing the login button again without entering anything else. This is a bug and I'm working on it...