Name your favorite fragrance (for the moment) in each of these five categories:
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume?
2. fun perfume?
3. sexy perfume?
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume?
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume?
Or, as always, just talk about something else.
Note: top image is Sunflower [background extended] by Esin Üstün at flickr; some rights reserved.
No-Brainer: Currently, Chanel No. 5 L’Eau. A whisper of a scent that you can dress up or down.
Fun: Miller Harris L’Air de Rien. For those days where I want to smell like Jane Birkin’s filthy apartment.
Sexy: Narciso by Narciso Rodriguez EDP. Your skin, but better. And sexier.
Relaxing: Lalique Encre Noire. The earthiness of this one is very grounding. Great to wear when reading, actually.
Aspirational: Byredo Black Saffron. To paraphrase Angela’s review, this one makes me feel like an ‘androgynous intellectual’ who ‘…gorges herself at home on raspberries sprinkled with rosewater while she reads Oscar Wilde in her leather club chair and is in bed by nine o’clock. ‘
Where do you purchase your Miller Harris? Are you in the US?
I’m in the UK, but they have a US store http://us.millerharris.com
they don’t ship to US as of their website
Net-a-Porter has some of them. I think I saw some also at Beautyspin recently.
I have samples of some older MH that I would be happy to send you. My email: laugsb at sbcglobal dot net
That’s my “sexy” scent too, and well said!
Love your line about L’Air de Rien!
No brainer = MFK/Aqua Universalis Forte
Fun = Fragonard/Riviera Riviera
Sexy = Malle/Une Rose
Relaxing = Tauer/Reverie Au Jardin
Aspirational = Chanel/31 Rue Cambon
Now there is a scent wardrobe!! Great poll, Robin
Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful autumn day (at least it is beautiful here in New Jersey!) Lots of good stuff in the swap meet so let’s get to swapping!! Help me clean out the perfume closet and downsize a bit.
It is gorgeous in SE PA today too! Unfortunately a major chore day here so not really enjoying it like I should be, but nice to have all the sun streaming in the windows.
Great aspirational pick!
Yes, NYC is just as nice out
Last year someone here kindly reported back about the Yves Rocher noel scents and steered me in the right direction: they can be hit-or-miss, and I don’t have the opportunity to pop into one of their stores for an investigative sniff. Can someone give me the scoop about this year’s Pear and Cacao?
Oh, and since I am here nice and early:
-Go-to perfume: No. 19
-Fun perfume: Bendelirious
-Sexy perfume: maybe Guerlain Ylang & Vanille
-Relaxing perfume: Anais Anais
-Aspirational perfume: Rien, when I want to be an executive lady
Bendelirious will always be fun/sexy!In whatever “best of” list I compile for myself,it always features!
Just finished at the farmers market, I ran into Jasen Zwieg, who writes a column for WSJ, I read that paper in the morning. If the babies allow..
Beautiful fall day here in NYC-lots of sun and I love the light and the cold crisp air.
Made a small bouquet of fall flowers for our table and picked up some small pumpkins for the babies.
I got some samples from a generous NST and I am enjoying them all
Jason Zweig – very cool! We get the weekend WSJ only, but I also have online for work.. read him all the time.
I’m not big on holiday decor but I always pick up one small sized pumpkin to enjoy in the living room.
No-brainer: Osmanthe Yunnan (I’m one of the weirdos for whom the Hermessences last all day)
Sexy: Salome (Papillon)–I don’t wear this out in public much
Relaxing: I’d say it’s more comforting than relaxing, but Chanel No. 22
Aspirational: I don’t have any, but I aspire to try some of the JAR perfumes.
Perfume recommendations, please: my sister’s birthday is coming up, and I think she may be near the tipping point of getting more interested in perfume. (She went to Scent Bar to get some samples for my birthday and loved the experience.) She says she likes “clean” scents and her current signature scent is Philosophy Amazing Grace. Any ideas for something a little more interesting I could send her as samples? She also liked VCA California Reverie and Byredo Inflorescence when she tried them.
I have been trying to get the ladies in the office who like perfume into some of mine! They are still babes in the woods who like clean florals, so they all go gaga over my Byredo La Tulipe which I adore as well. It’s clean, but not linear, and has a nice creamy underbelly.
That sounds like something I might like, too!
2nd the Byredo Tulipe. Also:
Carven L’Eau de Toilette or Le Parfum
Jour d’Hermes, maybe
Aerin Ikat Jasmine
My sister and I both love gardenia, so the Jour d’Hermes is especially good. Thanks!
She may like SJP’s Lovely, an altogether clean and beautiful fragrance.
I’m so glad you specified favorites of the moment so I didn’t have to overthink this poll
No brainer – Cuir de Russie
Fun – Pulp
Sexy – Hedonist
Relaxing – Stash
Aspirational – no idea. My head aches and this requires too much brainpower.
I really enjoyed reading everybody’s fall favorites this week. Unfortunately we are having a heatwave and high humidity to go with the fall allergens and my head feels overstuffed with damp wool.
Second your choice of Hedonist
Great picks. And it’s interesting how Chanel features so strongly in both go-to and aspirational categories.
I noticed that too. Chanels just smell comfortably elegant.
I enjoyed reading the comments this week, too. Everyone smelled REALLY GOOD. There are just so many good options for cool(er) weather.
No brainer = No. 5 Eau Premiere, never wrong.
Fun = Vamp a NY (tuberose root beer, yay!)
Sexy = JHaG Citizen Queen
Relaxing = Mariella Burani
Aspirational = 31 Rue Cambon
Ooo, I miss Vamp a NY. It was indeed very fun!
Agree Eau Premiere’s always appropriate. So glad I have my pre 2015 refo’d 5-oz vat.
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? Right now, I’d say Stash. It’s light enough on me that I can get pretty crazy spraying it and people seem to love it.
2. fun perfume? Vintage Diorella. It perks me up instantly.
3. sexy perfume? Absolue pour le Soir hands down. Take no prisoners!
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Dzongkha or Timbuktu. They’re both like plane tickets to a place where stress can’t find you.
5. Aspitational? I think Cuir d’Ange right now. Absolutely heavenly (ha!) but not quite who I am as a person.
As always, Robin, would love to see your list!
I love the idea of perfumes being gateways to places that stress can’t follow! Beautifully said!
Timbuktu is especially like that, though I prefer Dzongkha for every day.
Just added below!
Go-to…I can’t choose between Eau Des Merveilles and Vetiver Tonka both of which get worn a lot and Never feel wrong
Sexy…Hiram Green Shangri La
Relaxing/destressing….all of the perfumes!
Aspirational…Boucheron Boucheron for when I want to feel like a classy dame
All of the perfumes! <3
1. Go-to: Ava Luxe No. 23
2. Fun: Lush 25:43
3. Sexy: Rochas Femme
4. Relaxing: Bvlgari Thé Rouge
5. I’m not an “aspirational” person, but if I define it as “better suited to someone I will never be, but I like it anyway” then, 31 Rue Cambon
Your fun scent is literally perfect. I feel like LUSH scents sometimes wear me, but 25:43 smells just like creamy key lime pie! (I could also add the vampy, in on the joke, Lust!)
When I sampled Femme, I was in heaven. Had my hubby sniff my wrist, and his verdict: “smells like an old lady”
???? Apparently my idea of sexy is not the same as his!
LOL. Apparently not!
Someone said it smells like an unmade bed, and that’s how it smells to me.
Another list subject to change at any time without notice. – Now that it’s gotten colder, this is wildly different than even two weeks ago
1) go-to – Rania J Amber Loup
2) fun – Bvlgari Black
3) sexy – Absolue pour le soir
4) relaxing -Commes des Garcons Kyoto
5) Aspirational – Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit, when I want to feel sophisticated
Fun poll! I could do this one for each season.
If things go as they have been , I might need to swap out AplS and put Anarole Lebreton l’eau Scandaleuse there instead. I got a sample this summer, tried it twice and hated it, but now…wow I am in love. White flower leather chypre, but it works. Anyone else tried this one?
Love CdG Kyoto, it’s so meditative
I did. You are right it is not a summer Parfum, but LOVE now
Just discovered Amber Loup. So good. And mad I only have a 2ml sample of Absolu. Fab picks.
Scandaleuse was like layering Bandit and Fracas to me.
no brainer: Iris Nobile edt, this also works well to combat post-flight
stale “airplane hair”
fun: CSP Pamplemousse
sexy: DSH Le Smoking
relaxing: L’Eau d’Hiver
aspirational: Bois des Iles parfum
Oh, I could have easily done Bois des Iles for aspirational! Good choice.
Really like Le Smoking – great choice!
1) Caron Bellodia
2) Sexiest Fantasies Va Va Voom body spray
3) YSL Opium (original) or Tabu cologne
4) Dior Hypnotic Poison
5) Guerlain Mitsouko – Sometimes I wear it and sometimes it drags me around town by my ear.
I love the Va Va Voom, too. Not something I would have ever purchased, but a friend raved about this one, so I did. It’s a great fig-and-chocolate warm-up for a cold day and despite its silly ‘Sexiest Fantasies’ tagline and marketing, it’s definitely a delicious fun scent – and one that’s extremely long-lasting for a body spray.
#5 made me lol!
1.No-brainer and always a hit Iris Poudre
2.Fun,well recently the ELdO’s like Charogne,Fils de Dieu and Vierges et Toreros have been wildly fun to wear!
3.Sexy:Portrait of a Lady,Bendelirious.In that order.
4.Relaxing:Guerlain Terracotta,Bronze Goddess or Calyx.
5.Aspirational:I’m not nearly “classy” enough to actually pull it off,but Chanel No.18 always makes me feel like “watch me now,as I enter the room”,like I’m Charlize in a J’Adore ad…Lol!
Happy Weekend guys and girls!X
And as always I wonder:Robin,what are your answers?Lol.x
Just added below
ahhhh, Iris Poudre…!
Go to/ no brainer: Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
Fun: I’m learning to love Dzing!
Relaxing: L’Eau d’Hiver
Aspirational: Roja Vetiver Extrait (I got lucky with last year’s outlet sale)
Recently bought vintage Chanel no 19 parfum and EDT on eBay and they’re so beautiful. The parfum bottle is a thrill in itself.
L’Eau d’Hiver = Le swoon. I should have more of it!
L’Eau d’Hiver…”effortlessly” beautiful, to use a currently overused adverb!
1. No brainer is Gucci Rush. 2. Fun is Black Opium. 3. Sexy is Coco, and 4. Aspirational is No 5 or Absolue Pour le Soir.
Oops, missed relaxing, that would be Cabochard.
I love Cabochard and never seem to hear very much about it in the forums. To me it’s a perfect fall/winter cozy sweater scent but still interesting – great pick!
Coco is such a great choice!
I agree with nozknoz. Coco is sexy.
1) go to: Chanel 28 La Pausa, of course
2) fun: The MMM Replicas are great fun (if a bit over priced). I’m enjoying my bottle of Lipstick On!
3) sexy: vintage Samsara!
4) relaxing: lately, I have found the unpopular in perfumista circles Byredo La Tulipe refreshing and calming. It always cheers me up!
5) aspirational: one day, I will wear Bandit well. I admire it so, and I am also scared of it, lol!
Lipstick On is really fun!
I considered saying the same for 5. But SOMETIMES I think I pull it off.
I’m with you on carrying Bandit off on the right day. I have to work at it though: the clothes, newly cut hair, the right red lippy…life’s quite short to put that kind of effort into living up to a perfume. On the other hand, when I do, I love it!
I think Patty at Perfume Posse liked La Tulipe.
Hello NST. Just came back from a cinema with my parents, we went to see a new movie with Tom Hanks, “Inferno”. I loved it and I was pleased to see its action takes place in Florence, this brought back good memories from when I was there just a month ago.
1) Atelier Cologne Silver Iris
2) Prada Candy
3) Puredistance Sheiduna (my sotd)
4) Chanel Boy
5) Guerlain Derby
Can’t wait to see that film so I can “visit” Florence!
Highly recommended – both seeing the movie and visiting Florence in real life
Just read “Inferno” recently and am really looking forward to the movie. Totally agree on Silver Iris (a desert island perfume for me) and Candy, which my 12-yr-old son loves, too. Haven’t tried the others, but am curious about Boy. Wish I still lived in a city where I could just run out and try things easily.
Great to see there is more love for Silver Iris.
Candy is so playfull, sometimes I layer it with my favorite leather perfume for more oomph
I love Silver Iris too – it was my wedding scent. And Candy is great fun!
OMG, how did I miss a new Puredistance? Must find Sheiduna.
It will be available any time soon
Silver Iris is so beautiful! It would be on my “black tie” list.
Is this allergies or am I coming down with something? Sometimes hard to tell. We’ll see…
1. No-brainer – generally Stella
2. Fun – Aliage
3. Sexy – Burberry Brit Rhythm or Oeillet Bengale
4. Relaxing – Gourmand Coquin
5. Aspirational – Misia
Fingers crossed for allergies, although sometimes I think, if it was a cold, at least I would get over it.
Go to scent– Milk of Flowers
Fun– Guerlain French Kiss
Sexy–DSH Fumee d’Or, Chinatown
Relaxing — Milk of Flowers since smelling perfect means I don’t have to stress about it
Aspirational– Orlov Cross of Asia
Yes to French Kiss!
Good morni this is a nice way to start Sunday, especially since I’m about to settle down to work all day. So:
1–go to perfume? Let me count them….anything gourmand, really, and Black Cashmere.
2–fun? Most gourmands, especially Ambre Narguile. Oh, and Narcisse Bleu. Also Lyric, but that’s Serious Fun. And Misia, but that’s a whole other story….
3–sexy? Aha! The dear one prefers Beloved; I feel wonderful (which is usually the beginning of sexy, when you think about it) in Black Cashmere; many gourmands, especially the syrupy Loukhoum; maybe also Bel Respiro, but that’s an oddity, and Ylang et Vanille. Maybe also Queen of the Night? I’ll think about that.
4–relaxing? Anything gourmand, plus Ninfeo Mio, L’Ombre dans L’Eau, Narcisse Bleu, Muguet Porcelaine, Bel Respiro and Fate, and Beige. .
5–aspirational? Well, depending what I aspire to at the time, 31 Rue Cambon, Coromandel, 19, Femme, Black Cashmere, Traversee du Bosphore and Cuir de Russie.
You sure do love your gourmands
I truly do. I never used to, but these days, they have an appeal that I can’t fully explain. They seem quite versatile to me, too, crossing many moods and occasions in ways that ( leathers (for example) don’t. But that said, I love so many perfumes from so many genres, and I enjoy working them in so many ways, that even though I ‘spilled over’ and gave lots of choices, my list above doesn’t really cover what I might do in any of Robin’s five categories! I think I’m a bit mercurial and change from day to day, and also, I certainly pick up on all your ideas and think, “Oh that’s so true! I must remember to try/buy/think about that perfume in that context.”
Honestly, I am like you in that I like all genres as well and am open to trying just about anything….but the appeal of gourmand for me is that they represent “comfort” and I tend to veer towards sweeter scents when the weather gets really cold.
I love that your dear one likes Beloved on you! It’s a really gorgeous scent.
No brainer: Ach I am always overthinking! But let’s say Tobacco Rose
Fun: Fille de Berlin
Aspirational: Misia. I don’t find it hard to wear, but I often wear it when I aspire to be an adult
That’s what I think about Misia. An adult, ladylike scent.
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? Chanel Allure edt
2. fun perfume? Natori
3. sexy perfume? Narciso Rodriguez For Her edp
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Nirvana Black
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume
Byredo Gypsy Water
At this moment!
Great poll! I’m sure I’ll find some new scents to want to try today
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? – Narciso edp.. just love this one, and it’s a new scent which is the reason I find this perfume hobby so addictive — just when you think you’ve got your “no-brainer” scent another one comes around to completely sweep you off your feet.
2. fun perfume? Angel Muse
3. sexy perfume? Narciso edp (sorry, not sorry)
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Coromandel
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume? 31 Rue Cambon hands down! It is a confidence boosting scent for me, therefore it fits well in the aspirational category
Narciso is gorgeous.
Yes it is!
No brainer: Hiris
Fun: Eau des Merveilles
Relaxing/ de-stressing: Gris Clair…
Aspirational: Iris Poudre
Happy weekend everyone! I’m having a total lazy lump day, and not feeling guilty about it at all.
I think Jicky is sexy, fun, and a no-brainer all at once. It’s so good!
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? Eau des Merveilles
2. fun perfume? DSH Kaleidoscope
3. sexy perfume? Angel Muse
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Aura Cacia Frankincense oil or Atelier Ancient Resins or if things are really bad, both
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume? Patou Joy
Excellent Picks!!! I have to get some of the Atelier Ancient Resins…it sounds like my kind of thing, especially this season.
It layers nicely too.
Angel Muse is sexy? Now I REALLY have to try it !!! I don’t think I have anything ‘sexy’ in my fragrance wardrobe….
I also find that pure essential oils are de-stressing and relaxing…frankincense, lavender, patchouli, sandalwood, labdanum, fir needle, cedarwood…..
It probably depends on what you find sexy!
Really curious about DSH Kaleidoscope now. I’m going to have to start carrying Ancient Resins around in my purse.
I’m going to have to start injecting it before this election is over
Ha! Or develop a serious drinking problem….
No brainer – Lumière Blanche
Fun – Baccarat Rouge 540
Sexy – Cuir d’Ange
Relaxing – Tam Dao
Aspirational – Bois des Iles
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. <3
Great list. EDT or EDP for your Tam Dao?
Edt, the edp is nice but the rose comes out more in the edt for me. I will eventually seek for a decant of the edp so I can test it out more.
Oh good to know. I’ve only tried the EDP and I can imagine loving a rosier version.
Nice! And your 1 is my 4????
Isn’t it beautiful?
It’s a fantastic scent, I’ve been wearing it since it launched.
Have you tried Diptyque’s new Kimonanthe? They’re by no means similar except both share a milkiness (which I really like) except it’s denser in Kimonanthe.
Hello everyone, hope the weekend is going well!
Fun scent: California Chocolate or Bandit or Mitsuoko…depending onthe fun
No brainer:Ys-Uzac Lale
Relaxing: Tam Dao or Blackbird or Dark Horse or Feu d’Issey
Aspirational? Does not compute.
Sexy: the remnants of all the above on my favourite shetland sweater with jeans and bare feet walking through a garden
Love your number 5!
You should figure out how to bottle your sexy perfume. I think i could smell it through your description.
Your totally slayed it on your ‘sexy’.
SOTD is Queen for a Saturday at work that is kicking my a$$. I’m missing all the good swapmeet stuff!! ????
I have a bunch of stuff up, and look forward to the swap meets all year! I will be available and ready for swapping all week, doesn’t have to be today!
A fun poll, I love reading the replies!
1) no-brainer: Prada Infusion d’Iris Cedre. I’m actually perplexed: never thought it would be fitting for autumn, but I find myself wearing it almost every day, somehow it is both relaxing and energizing – just what I need at the moment.
2) fun: Mitsouko acts as a great mood-lifter.
3) sexy: have to leave a blank here, don’t feel like wearing anything sexy now (I guess it’s eat-lots-prepare-to-hibernate-time).
4) relaxing: L’Air de Rien (it’s the hibernating thing again).
5) aspirational: Amouage Gold. I wonder if I ever find an occasion to wear it…
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume?
Hermès Kelly Calèche EDT
Bulgari Eau Parfumée Au Thé Vert
2. fun perfume?
Comme des Garçons (Series 7: Sweet) Nomad Tea
3. sexy perfume?
Shalimar Ode à la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume?
Bulgari Eau Parfumée Au Thé Rouge
Chanel Eau de Cologne
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume?
Amouage Majan attar
Amouage Ayoon al Maha attar
I use them sparingly and keep them in the fridge.
6. formal occasion perfume? NEW CATEGORY!
Chanel No. 22
Balenciaga Le Dix
Loved your list, even though I haven’t tried many of them.
1. No brainer: Eau de Merveilles. Any season, any occasion. Simply perfect. Starting to feel this way about No. 5 L’eau as well.
2. Fun: Clinique Happy.
3. Sexy: Le Labo Labdanum 18. I don’t care that some reviewers compare it to baby powder, it was love at first sniff for me. Also one of the few fragrances where my husband actually asked me, “What perfume are you wearing?”????
4. Relaxing: JM Lime Basil & Mandarin. So fresh and easy.
5. Aspirational: Cristalle. A blind buy based on all the rave reviews it gets on blogs. I just don’t get what all the hoopla is about-sorry????- I’ll keep trying!
I have vintage Cristalle, I think that’s what makes a difference…
Probably. Sadly true for so many scents.
Oh yes!!!! Big difference between the two!
I just tried No. 5 L’Eau and really, really liked it!
1. No-brainer: Carner Barcelona D600
2. Fun: NV Bombay Bling
3. Sexy: Bogue Maai or MFK Absolue Pour le Soir
4. Relaxing: SL Un Bois Vanille
5. Aspirational: Either L’Heure Bleue (Perfumers should aspire to create something so great) or Mitsouko (I aspire someday to “get” it, so far it eludes me.)
Your no 2 would be very much mine, too, but I don’t have any at the moment.
Love your 1-3 so must try 4!
1. Infusion d’Iris, Bvlgari Pour Femme, Nina, Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert
2. Vamp à New York, Dzing!, Drôle de Rose
3. Rien, Fracas, Aromatics Elixir, Amoureuse, Manoumalia
4. Rien, Ambre Sultan, Sacrebleu, PdN New York, Pour un Homme
5. Most Chanels, so impeccably tailored, although I do own and love a few.
1. Chanel Cristalle (and half of the excusifs, frankly).
2. Byredo Pulp always, but currently also Commodity cocktail kit.
3. Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia.
4. Olfactive Studio Lumiere Blanche.
5. (As in saving up for) Neela Vermeire Trayee.
In Boxeuses today and burning the somewhat unseasonal Jo Malone Green Tomato Leaf candle.
I need a bottle of Pulp stat.
Lately, I’ve been on a Byredo tear. It’s not like the line is the epitome of art (like say, some great indie lines, or Malles), but they don’t demand much, are more interesting than mainstream perfumes, and are fun. I wonder what Granddaddy Luca has to say about the Byredo….
I keep complaining about Byredo – too many launches, not that interesting, blahblahblah… And I’m right! But I still follow what they do and occasionally buy a bottle (and candles, always). I think it illustrates, more than anything, that despite the enormous number of new brands there are still very few that manage to do something modern, stylish, and transcending strictly niche appeal. I guess Diptyque used to do it well, but is almost too established now.
Love Byredo candles. Tree House takes me to a calm and happy place. And I’ll always have a special place for Bal d’Afrique.
Have you tried Bibliotheque? I adore it for the cold months. And I really like BdA, too.
I’ve been trying to ignore how good Trayee is . . .
I find it very difficult to ignore????
1. no-brainer – Nest Midnight Fleur
2. fun – Guerlain Mon Exclusif
3. sexy – Armani Si
4. relaxing / de-stressing – Jo Malone Red Roses after a hot bath
5. aspirational – I really want to try on Shalimar for several days in a row and see if I can pull it off or start to smell new aspects of it as time goes on. It’s not something I was exposed to for most of my life, but I want to learn to appreciate something before I write it off. It probably will be the next sample/decant I acquire.
Re No. 4: Have you tried Grace by Grace Coddington and Comme de Garçons? I posted about it down below, but it really gives the effect of hot bath + roses.
Thanks for the suggestion! As you can tell, I’m a little bit of a rose freak.
1. go-to perfume = Hermes Eau des Merveilles
2. fun perfume = all of them, ha! and Guerlain Terracotta
3. sexy perfume = Chanel No. 5 parfum
4. relaxing perfume = Guerlain Après L’Ondée
5. aspirational perfume = Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar
I think wearing all 5 will be my goal this weekend.
I also think I have a Guerlain problem.
“all of them” — lol. #truth
Seeing lots of love for Eau des Merveilles today! So fun to read everyone’s list!
Yay for Eau des Merveilles! It is so nice. I love the way it provides a nice hum of fragrance that stays interesting and comfortable for hours.
I agree! Eau des Merveilles is a favorite go-to of mine, but once the weather cools, it’s tucked away until next spring.
I definitely have a Guerlain problem????
I *know* I have a Guerlain problem, for sure. ????
1. Go-to: Chanel Beige ( 1000 lashes )
2. Fun: Penhaligon’s Tralala
3. Sexy: MFK Lumiere Noire
4. Relaxing: L’Artisan Noir Exquis
5. Aspirational: Mitsouko
Poor Beige! Everyone’s just jealous because she’s beautiful and quietly well mannered I like her too.
Me too! Absolutely love Beige now, but it took me quite a while to break through that reserve, and even now, I wouldn’t say that she is the most scintillating and amusing of my perfumes. More — elegant, graceful, charming, courteous. Not a scent to get the giggles in. Or sweat in. Or swear in, for that matter. Truth to tell, I’m probably too commonplace (and just plain common) for Beige, but too bad. Until Chanel pronounces me an unsuitable owner and refuses to take my dollars, I shall continue to buy and enjoy.
1000 lashes? You must be kidding! Beige is gorge!
I always feel that “Beige” is a sort of in-on-the-joke name for this perfume, because it’s so sweet and cheerful and *not* beige.
(Yes, I’ve heard the story it was named as such because Beige was Coco’s favorite color to wear. But I like my story better!)
This is so much fun!
1. No Brainer: 10 Corso Como
2. Fun: Tomato Leather
3. Sexy: Bottega Veneta/
Baccarat Rouge 540
4. Relaxing: Ancient Resins oil
5. Aspirational: No.19 Poudre
BV would also fit no-brainer for me.
Such a versatile scent.
No brainer: Elizabeth & James Nirvana Rose
Fun: 4160 Tuesdays Sunshine & Pancakes
Sexy: No.5 Eau de Parfum (long-time pick)
Relaxing: CK Reveal
Aspirational: the Kurkdjian x Baccarat thingy
Reveal is great this time of year. Usually a compliment getter!
I like your sexy classic Chanel No. 5! If is was good enough for Marilyn…
Baccarat is an interesting scent. I felt it was too masculine for me, but the drydown is really nice.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Thanks for all your great info & advice.
Btw- am sampling PdN Oud Incense and it is indescribably delicious. Just the perfect balance of Incense & Oud. Sillagr is respecrful of others but full. Great longevity, luscious-ly llovely drydown. Oh my……in ❤️
I was wondering about Oud Incense. good to hear it’s so beautiful. I’m very curious about the Oud Sublime as well. Have you tried it?
Hi, No I haven’t yet – but I probably should! I’m dipping my toes into Oud in general as I haven’t tried many. I seem to be on an incense bender these days. This combination picqued my interest. Please tell me what you think of Oud Sublime.
Well apparently I have no brain at all this weekend, ’cause I’m drawing a perfume blank, so instead I’ll apply the questions to my recent vacation, especially since Robin asked me about my favorites and I didn’t get around to answering…
1. No-brainer: Yosemite. Always great, glad we live near enough to visit often.
2. Fun: All the places we went, but especially: hiking a slot canyon in Grand Escalante; driving the Notom-Burr Trail road in our 4WD; Devil’s Garden on Hole in the Rock Road in Grand Escalante; Lehman Caves in Great Basin NP; hiking in Canyonlands NP Needles district…
3. Sexy: eh, doesn’t really apply, so let’s go with breathtaking: Landscape Arch in Arches NP; sunset in Mojave NPres
4. Relaxing: Sequoia NP, dark cool deep green hikes under the giant sequoias. And the fabulous scent of Engelman Spruce trees at Cedar Breaks NM.
5. Aspirational: Overall I aspire to go back soon
I aspire to all of this!
Re 5, Take Me With You!
Hear, hear! I love the NPS.
Happy weekend! So many wonderful things on everyone’s lists, lots that I’ve tried, but lots of others to add to my list of things I want to sniff.
No brainer – I’ve been wearing Iris Nobile a lot lately, it’s a lovely floral that’s great any time.
Fun – maybe I’m too serious about perfume and life!! Fun perfume makes me think of sweet and fruity perfumes, and I think the only thing I have like that is Plum.
Sexy – anything I wouldn’t wear out of the house! At the moment, that’s Absolu Pour Le Soir, Salome and Rubj.
Relaxing – Ninfeo Mio, Le Chèvrefeuille, Mandragore, so looks like Annick Goutal is great for quiet perfumes.
Aspirational – probably anything that I think of as formal and classic, Miss Dior original, Mitsouko, Amouages, lots of older Guerlains.
I really like Rubj but my husband hates it. ???? Not sure what that implies about sexy in my house.
Wow. Everyone else’s comments have really given me a lot to think about.
1. No-brainer–Chanel No. 5 EDP or Eau Premiere
2. Fun–NV Bombay Bling or Prada Candy
3. Sexy–per my husband, that would have to be Shalimar Ode a la Vanille sur la Route du Mexique!
4. Relaxing–Atelier Silver Iris
5. Aspirational–Miller Harris L’air de Rien, created for Jane Birkin. Sad to say (since my husband brought it home from London for me), it purports to smell like a library full of old books, but really does have a barnyard/old hay and manure thing going on that just isn’t quite right. It actually does a little better if you spray more on (brings out more of the better notes), but I still just don’t get it, unfortunately.
I’m sorry you don’t love L’air de Ríen; especially since it’s such a PITA to get. I adore it and have been known to spray it on my curtains or my car interior when the weather is too hot to wear it comfortably. You might try it as an ambient scent if it doesn’t work on your skin.
Maybe so. I might swap some of it this weekend to at least give the appearance of using it up for hubby. Just can’t let him know.
I wonder if it’s been reformulated or you were expecting something else? My older bottle smells like hay and warm skin, very sexy and comforting at the same time.
Maybe you could try it it in combination with other perfumes? I don’t like the “dirty hair” notes when I wear it on its own, but somehow it smells great layered with jasmine (especially SL A La Nuit).
Will have to try that. Maybe tuberose would work, too.
Happy Typhoon Saturday! *blow noisemaker* Local flooding in the streets and Hunter rain boots!
Going to the gym for a good swim (hah!) and sauna session; am debating whether to see Queen of Katwe this evening or Magnificent Seven (remixed).
1) Easy/Go to: Stash by SJP and Belle Du Soir. Stash is a winner- easy to wear and easy to spray, not obnoxious, smells like quality and people really seem to love it, enough to ask for a hug. That is the sign of a good fragrance. Same with Belle Du Soir, but I eke that out now, since it’s discontinued.
2) Fun(innocent): The Body Shop Satsuma body mist. It’s so fresh, just super clean orange blossoms + marmalade, perfect for hot weather or after the gym or when you don’t a darn! OR Nike de St Phalle when doing something profond yet fun, like protests or art be -ins.
3)Fun (rated NC-17) Noir pour Femme. Tiny fairy sprays. Perfect. OR White Sandalwood by Nest, same tiny amounts.
4) Relaxing- Homemade jasmine/rose oil or Stash. Sorry!
5) Aspirational: Black Jade, which has replaced Chanel Eau Premiere when I think of this. A sheer rose incense, just very beautiful, and very elegant.
Black Jade is so pretty.
Oooh “sheer rose incense” sounds perfect! I will have to check out Black Jade
I think Black Jade is beautiful too.
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? Cuir d’Ange. It works for day, night, and bedtime.
2. fun perfume? Rosine Glam Rose
3. sexy perfume? Shalimar Souffle extrait, although I’m wearing vintage Obsession for Women right now and it’s a contender.
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Chanel No 5
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume? Rochas Tocade. If I could someday understand Luca Turin’s deep and abiding love for this scent, perhaps I will have reached Graduate Level in Perfumista studies.
To me, Tocade smells like burning plastic. I blame my wonky nose, rather than my sophomore-level perfume appreciation.
So interesting your #4 as I find Chanel No. 5 a high strung scent and one that requires a lot of work for my noise.
#5: Yes! I just can’t figure it out. The dabs I’ve worn from my sample make my brain say, “Oh sweet Lord, why?!?”
1. My no-brainer/go-to perfume: Chanel 19 EDP. Always perfect.
2. Fun perfume? I had trouble with this because just getting to wear perfume is fun, but finally decided on L’Ambre des Merveilles because it reminds me of caramelcorn.
3. My favorite sexy perfume (at the moment): Tom Ford Noir Pour Femme. This was nearly my choice for Relaxing, Go-To and Aspirational as well, but I decided not to cheat.
4. My current favorite relaxing/de-stressing perfume: Tam Dao layered with Philosykos.
5. An aspirational favorite: Hermes 24, Faubourg, because it makes me feel much wealthier than I actually am. Another is Chanel 19 EDT, for when I want the illusion that I’m in charge. Of anything.
SOTA is vintage YSL Champagne, from a very generous NSTer (you know who you are!). Very rich and absolutely lovely.
Yes on 24 Fauborg! It makes me feel like such a *woman* (fwthat’sworth) when I wear it. I feel like I’m embodying Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine pre-breakdown lol.
Every Chanel I own makes me feel like this too!
YESSS on #1!!
And also on the aspirational quality of 19 edt. I always feel like a bit of an imposter in it.
Carmel corn is SO addicting ???? I’ll have to try my L’Ambre sample and see if I can find that note.
Just got my bag of Chicago mix out of my pantry…. Dang it Sheri????
1) No brainier: Parfums Quartana Hemlock
2) Fun: HdP 1969
3) Sexy: MFK Cologne pour le Soir
4) Relaxing: MH L’Air d’Rien
5) Aspirational: Amouage Jubliation 25
1969 is tons of fun!
It’s interesting how a no-brainer scent for one person can be aspirational for somebody else. It got me to wondering, can the same fragrance be both a no-brainer and aspirational for the same person? Then I saw someone put Black Cashmere in both categories!
I did aspirational in terms of something I wear that isn’t 100% me but I love it and wear it when I want to be a little more formal or professional or grown up than the day to day. I am, of course, a 53 professional and these probably should be the no brainers.☺️
It was me! And truly, I could have put Black Cashmere into all those categories. A lot depends on my mood, the company, the place & therefore the clothes I’m wearing, so lots and lots of perfumes cross Robin’s categories for me. BC is an all time great, as far as I’m concerned, and it makes me happy every time I wear it.
No brainer- Dame Bergamot, Jasmine & Labdanum
Fun- Demeter Tomato and Demeter Daffodil
Sexy- ?????? (not sure I have that in my collection)
Relaxing- anything from my VAST collection of essential oils
Aspirational- not sure how to interpret this…something I aspire to like or understand? Probably Vetiver Tonka as I was never a huge fan of Vetiver as a dominant note in my perfumes but this fragrance grows on me each time I wear it
There’s many interpretation’s of sexy, I’m sure you have something.
That’s how I felt about the sexy one, too!!
No brainer: Ancient Resins oil (down to my last mls )
Fun: Reaching into the sample cup for a surprise
Sexy: Patchouli 24 (sexy bonfire) or Theo Fennel Scent (surprise flower sexy?)
Relaxing: Nu or other incense
Aspirational: Hiram Green perfumes, they’re so rich.
Great fun! And I hear you on the Hiram Green. I can and do wear Voyage and Shangra-la, but Moonbloom and Dilittante overwelm me.
My current favorites:
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? YR Nature Millenaire edt: I am one with the Earth.
2. fun perfume? Parfums de Coeur Body Fantasies Vampire: Dark cherries and chocolate, a ‘cheezy cheapie’ that’s absolutely intoxicating!
3. sexy perfume? Molnard Habanita: a dab or two of the pure parfum, and then? . . .
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Barbara Bui Le Parfum: a sensual and warm hug
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume? Jean Patou Sublime edp (vintage): She’s beautiful, rich, and elegant – everything I’m not – except when I wear her.
Now I want to try everything on your list. I have in fact tried Sublime, and I’m so far from being beautiful, rich, and elegant that on me it has a distinct note of pickles.
My sister wears it beautifully, and when I tried it we both recoiled, very similar to your experience. I feel better now.
1 no brainer: Eau de Merveilles
2 fun: fils de dieu
3 sexy: Knot
4 relaxing Au The Bleu
5 aspirational: Infusion d’Iris
1. No Brainer: Beige or L’eau d’Hiver
2: Fun: Byredo Oliver Peoples
3. Sexy: Narciso
4. Relaxing: Coromandel
5: Aspirational: Femme because I bought it on my first trip to Paris when I had just turned 18 and I was aspiring to be a grown-up lady, and smell like one too
1. no-brainer: SL Chergui, now that the weather has cooled off a bit!
2. fun perfume: Dzing (who knew that circus peanuts and leather were such a great combination)
3. sexy perfume: I don’t think I’ve quite figured out sexy yet, in perfume or in other aspects of my life (like my wardrobe).
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume: Passage d’Enfer, wearing this is as close to meditating as I get.
5. aspirational: Maybe Mohur? I used to think it was too gourmand and ladylike for me, but then I stopped worrying about it
Or, as always, just talk about something else.
Haha, I just realized I forgot to delete the last part of the prompt, oops! More coffee, stat.
I have it on good authority that for women, sexy = low-cut. I have yet to reflect this knowledge in my actual wardrobe, but I have no reason to doubt its veracity.
No-brainer: Bottega Veneta
Fun: Terracotta in summer, Candy in winter
Sexy: Onda or APLS
Relaxing: Mon Précieux Nectar
Aspirational: Jubilation 25
So interesting to read peoples’ choices!
No brainer – Chanel No. 19 EDP or Atelier Cologne Sous Le Toit de Paris
Fun – Bvlgari Black
Sexy – Puredistance White, MFK Grand Soir
Relaxing – what’s this? I got stressed out doing yoga!
SOTD = MFK Grand Soir with a dollop of Philosophy Fresh Cream
Also testing Solstice Scents goodies. Has anyone tried these? So far:
Estate Vanilla, Inquisitor
Vanilla Pipe Tobacco (this may move to like), Foxcroft Fairgrounds
Library (I couldn’t get this scrubbed off fast enough due to a cumin-like aroma which I think came from the Oud. I know just the person to send this to.)
I was searching for Pumpkin Spice Latte 3 weeks ago and came across this line. PSL was not available then but I placed a samples order anyway. The Autumn Scents launched yesterday and I am now waiting for Pumpkin Spice Latte!
Aspirational – I’ll go with 31RC.
I like your rating system.
Grand Soir ????
Your #4 answer is hilarious.
Yay bvlgari black!
What a fun poll!
Go-to: Scherrer One Love. Easy-peasy chypre, who knew?
Fun: Lush Sikkim Girls.
Sexy: Vero Profumo Onda.
Relaxing: Guerlain Cuir Beluga.
Aspirational: thirding Chanel Misia. I have it, love it, and every time I go to put it on I think ach, not today, I’m not dressed up enough.
Is One Love predominantly violet leaf, or is it a nice blend?
It’s definitely a nice blend.
1. No-brainer: Estée Lauder Sensuous. In warmer weather, Adam Levine for Her. (I also think of these as “allergy shot perfumes.”)
2. Fun: my SOTD, the underrated Penhaligon’s Artemisia.
3. Sexy: Tom Ford Lys Fume.
4. Relaxing: I just found a perfect one, thanks to the lovely and generous Wendysue, and have been wanting to post about it: Grace by Grace Coddington and Comme de Garçons. It smells exactly as though I’ve just stepped out of a hot bath strewn with rose petals. Since I haven’t had an actual hot bath in years, because my rosacea hates steam, I found it absolutely delightful. It has good longevity, too–I was sure it would be gone in two hours, but it stuck around the better part of a day. It is the very first “clean musk” perfume I have ever loved, or even particularly liked, and a reminder to try everything if you get a chance, because you just never know.
5. Aspirational: I drew a blank on this one, so sneaked a peek at some of your answers, and I will also go with 31 Rue Cambon.
We may have been separated at birth. This is a great list and I am so happy to see that someone besides me appreciates the strange beauty of Lys Fume, not really a traditional lily scent.
Isn’t it gorgeous? I have a gently used bottle put away for Christmas. It will be merry!
I haven’t tried Grace Coddington but your description is so evocative. Lemming born!
That may be even better than an enabler pin.
1. No brainer? BV or Sycomore (or poss Fou d’Absinth)
2. Fun? Bronze Goddess
3. Sexy? Sisley Eau de Soir
4. Relaxing? Cristalle (summer) or Fresh Cannabis Santal (cool weather)
5. Aspirational? AG Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille
Got a scent-related surprise today. After finding bugs aplenty on the outdoor potted plants I made a dash to the home center for neem oil. I braced hard, but…..no stink. Very nearly unscented! Better living through modern chemistry! Yeah, Baby!
Love everyone’s lists. Have a fine weekend, all.
Can totally see Cannabis Santal as relaxing.
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume: Bvglari Aqua, YSL L’Homme or Viktor&Rolf Spicebomb
2. fun perfume: Anything that is ultrafeminine girly pink or a gender bender women’s scent, like Flowerbomb or Angel. Heck, I’ll wear classic N*5 or Shalimar and still get compliments, but it’ll play on my alter ego. I’m a very masculine looking guy, so I love I mess around with people’s perception of me like this.
3. sexy perfume: Thierry Mugler Alien, hands down the best of the best for me.
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume: Infusion D’Iris or Infusion D’Homme from Prada
5. aspirational perfume; Chanel Antaeus; the effortlessly rough masculine successful scent
Now I’m trying to figure out how to convince my hubby to wear Flowerbomb just once for me. I’d love to smell it on a man!
Alien is a gorgeous jasmine beast. I agree.
One of my favorite go-to perfumes is SMN Melograno. Chanel 28 la Pausa and either Guerlain or AG Vetiver are also reliable.
Pd’E Tabac Tabou and Roja Dove Diaghilev are sexy AF.
Oh, Tabac Tabou, /seriously/ sexy!
I’m glad to see Tabac Tabou getting so much love around here lately — for a while it seemed like everyone but me was extremely “meh” about it.
1)No brainers are Cristalle, Beige, No. 22, De Profundis and Alaia Paris.
2)Fun scents are KW Boy Friend, which smells like an orange glazed cinnamon bun, HdP Moulin Rouge for obvious reasons, Niki de St. Phalle because she’s a little weird, Five O’clock au Gingembre, Earl gray tea and Gingerbread Cookies, and Une Bois Vanille.
4) Relaxing scents are Ancient Resins, Sballo, Coromandel, Billet Doux, C& E Iris, Vanille Noir, Vanille Violet and Jacinthe et Rose.
5) Aspirational is more about certain notes than a specific fragrances. I have a hard time with oud, animalic and cumin notes. Mostly a no for me but I do like them on a case-by-case basis. Which really means that I can’t smell them. ????
Cumin – blech! Truth be told though, I thought about listing Secretions Magnifique but then decided that there are more worthy perfumes like Mitsouko and Jicky that I would list as aspirational way ahead of SM.
I will forever think of you when I see cumin listed in perfume notes. ????
Haha, I always think of me too when I see or smell cumin – eeeek.
No brainer – NV Mohur
Fun – Dyptique Odorata Geranium
Sexy – Le Labo Rose 31
Relaxing – Byredo Gypsy Water
Aspirational – Chanel Coromandel; I wear this a lot but ALWAYS if I need confidence!!
Its impossible for me tho choose one scent in every cathegory, sorry.
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? Penhaligons Iris prima or Stella edp
2. fun perfume? Angel muse or Kenzo Flower elixir
3. sexy perfume? Tom Ford Black orchid
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Lancome Tresor, L’artisan Safran troublant
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume? Byredo Blanche – I will never be that crispy fresh in a perfect white shirt- kind of woman. But I like the scent.
Angel Muse seems to fit a few categories! It would be in my fun category and I may need some fun today
I am so glad to see so many people talking about Stella! Definitely my summer no-brainer, too.
Iris Prima is lovely!
Late to the party, but:
1. no-brainer: Passage d’Enfer
2. fun perfume: Incense Rosé
3. sexy perfume: Sycomore; is it weird to find vetiver sexy? It’s that or Rose Infernale
4. relaxing: 10 Corso Como
5. aspirational: EL Beautiful; I haven’t got the poise that perfume requires, but wearing it makes me momentarily feel like someday, I might
Cute poll Thanks! It’s been fun reading others’ responses.
Ahhh, 10CC might fall into all the categories except for aspirational for me as long as we ignore price I totally agree about Beautiful!
Greetings from Boston,
No brainer: Stella or Chanel 5 eau premiere
Fun: Eau des Merveilles
Sexy: Bottega Veneta eau de parfum
Relaxing/ de-stressing: Knot Bottega Veneta
Aspirational: all the above, depending on circonstances.
Have a wonderful weekend
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume: Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge (at least at the moment–I’ll be heartbroken when I finish my sample!).
2. fun perfume: Diptyque Olene. It’s my loudest perfume and makes me feel like a confident fashionista. ^__^
3. sexy perfume: Nasomatto Narcotic V, without a doubt.
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume: Frederic Malle En Passant. I wear this at home–my boyfriend loves it.
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume: Byredo 1996. I’m not typically a spicy, patchouli, leathery perfume girl, but when I wear this, I feel effortlessly elegant.
I love perfumes that make you feel effortlessly elegant!
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume?
SL Un Bois Vanille/Bvlgari Omnia (le Originalé)
2. fun perfume?
CSP Amour de Cacao/CSP Coco Figue
3. sexy perfume?
Onda VdE/MFK Absolu/Cologne pour le Soir/Tauer PHI/ and numerous other…(typical overcompensation for my less than sexy reality ????)
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume?
SSS Tabac Aurea/Arabian Oud Kalamat
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) perfume?
MFK Grand Soir/Amouage Fate Woman (for when I’m aspiring to be a “I got my s*** together!” type of gal.
Or, as always, just talk about something else…
6. Favorite “cooling” perfume for swamp weather?
Hermés Vetiver Tonka/FM Vetiver Extraordiaire
Heading to the swap meet, better late than never…
Deva! We intersect in soooo many perfumes I have at least one in each of your categories in either FB or largish decant format. (and whispering that although I have a large decant of Fate Woman, I have not worn it yet. I know, I am brave in many ways but a sissy when it comes to so,e perfumes, like Fracas, Fate Woman…)
hajusuuri, we must be Scent Sisters by another Mister, because I KNEW you would love Grand Soir. I have great faith in you, and know one day soon you will take the plunge and enjoy a hefty spritz of FATE! You can do it and I’ll be the proud mama when you do! If you try it and hate it, I never mentioned it. Ever. But feel free to pass along unused portions this way
Fate Woman is such a shape-shifter on me — sometimes it smells like powdered-sugary beignets, sometimes it smells like BABY POWDER IN ALL CAPS, sometimes it smells like Chamade with a drizzle of warm custard. I’m sort of embarrassed by my fascination with it — it’s a guilty pleasure in some weird way.
1. L.I.L.Y Stella McCartney
2. Love By Kilian or CDG Black
3. bought sandelwood oil in China, smells amazing!
4. same sandelwood oil
5. No 22
1. no brainer/ Chanel No.5 in any form
2. fun/ SL Encens et Lavande
3. sexy/ bois des iles extrait
4.relaxing/ Artisan Vanilia
5. aspirational/Nuit de Noel
1. no-brainer: any classic Guerlain, or Chanel No. 19
2. fun: Dzing!
3. sexy: Cepes and Tuberose
4. relaxing: Sa Majesté la Rose ,or Rose Flash
5. aspirational: Neroli Portofino (always makes me feel like I’m on a luxurious seaside vacation with a $300 haircut, somehow…)
I also aspire to go on a luxurious seaside vacation!
Rose Flash fits in my no brainer, full and relaxing categories. So good! So strong! Great silage and lasting power. Tauer really did a great job there.
Plus its free, by perfumista math!
I know — you’re basically losing money every time you *don’t* put it on, right?
Robin, thank you for this fantastic weekend poll!! Love it! And because I adore Guerlain SO much, I will dedicate my choices to my “go to” Guerlain loves:
No-brainer: Rose Barbare
Fun: La Petite Robe Noire (orig version!)
Sexy: Myrrhe et Delires
Relaxing: Cuir Beluga
Aspirational: Guer-Apens (clearly I aspire to win the lotto!????)
Now, I’m going to read everyone’s fabulous choices!
Baby beluga, baby beluga ….
I think that every time too!
I really should get around to trying that sample. I’d forgotten I had it until I went digging the other day.
Guerlain: where you can construct an entire perfume wardrobe from one house! Maybe some of us could just set up residence in #68?
What a fun series of questions. before I give answers, a quick thank you to all the lovely comments on my post on Friday. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to reply to each comments as work intervened and has for much of the weekend, but it meant a lot, thank you.
No brainer: Chanel 5 (at this time of year)
Fun: Champagne (vintage) although potentially modern too
Sexy: Quite a few according to how I feel but Lady Vengeance or AP
Aspirational: Chanel 19
Now, like Laura I will read what everyone else has said.
This is one of the best polls ever.
I have been craving the comfort of incense and wood now for some time so this list will surely reflect that.
1. The no brainer is Tom Ford Sahara Noir. Hard to beat frankincense and myrrh.
2. Fun equals Lush Breath of God, I smell like a mango at a BBQ!
3. Sexy is Tom Ford Black Orchid, probably my favorite loud perfume!
4. Relaxing is Olympic Orchids Dev I, nary a flower in sight, just lots of incense, wood and oud.
5. Aspirational is always Shalimar, not in the modern formulation. Somedays I wear her and other days she wears me!
I kinda wanna smell like a mango at a barbecue, I just never knew it until this minute.
So late to the party, but wanted to participate in this fun poll.
1. My go-to / no brainer scent: Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey
2. A fun scent: Pulp by Byredo
3. A sexy scent: No Malone Pomegrante Noir
4. A relaxing scent: Chloe by Chloe
5 An aspirational scent: Slumberhouse’s Pear & Olive – I hate it was discontinued.
Edit: #3 should say Jo Malone; not No Malone.
I think they should start a new line called No Malone!
1. Jessica McClintock
2. Guerlain Eau de Fleur de Cedrat
3. Vivienne Westwood Boudoir
4. Biotherm Oceane
5. Tom Ford Azur Lime
1) No-Brainer: .vero.profumo. “.mito.” or Carven vintage “Ma Griffe” for Greens & Chanel Beige or Isabey “Fleur Nocturn” for Florals
2) Fun: Trying new scents & enjoying decants…. “Fun” is discovering new perfumes!
3) Sexy: .vero.profumo. “.rubj.” (Especially EdP)- no competition but Miller Harris “L’aire de rien” comes close.
4) Relaxing: FM “Lipstick Rose”
5) Aspirational: Tom Ford “Velvet Gardenia” & LezNez “Manoumalia”
6) Bedtime: Chanel No 5 or Chanel No 22
7) Winter Holiday Season: Shiseido “Inoui”
There you go & I added 2 new categories!
Oh gosh, Inoui was gorgeous. I have a tiny decant I’m doling out bit by bit, because there won’t be any more once it’s gone.
1. EL Private Collection
2. A Dozen Roses Gold Rush
3. L’Artisan Safran Troublant
4. Yves Rocher Cedre Bleu
5. Lalique Encre Noire
No brainer: Lubin “Idole”
Fun: 4160 Tuesdays “Urura’s Tokyo Café”
Sexy: not as long as I know how a mirror works.
Relaxing: Annick Goutal “Myrrhe Ardente”.
Aspirational: I’ve got to get my hands on Guerlain “Vol de Nuit” :^)
On a different topic, for the weekend in Wrocław my SOTD yesterday was Papillon “Tobacco Rose” and today has been Memo “Manoa”. The Tobacco Rose was nice but had neither the complexity nor the lasting power of my Papillon favourite, Anubis. Manoa has been described as reminiscent of Shalimar; I find it easier to wear but a bit smooth and bland.
Man, am I late! This is a fun poll. I can’t wait to finish reading everyone’s answers.
Right now, I’d say:
1) no-brainer – Stella (McCartney)
2) fun – L’Artisan Dzing!
3) sexy – Rochas Femme
4) relaxing – Guerlain L’Heure Bleue. It’s not ‘relaxing’ in the manner of lavender aromatherapy, but I think it’s a very serene scent.
5) aspirational- anything I can’t easily obtain a sample of or buy for a great deal from discounters!
Enjoy the remains of the weekend, all! (If it’s Monday where you are, hang in there!)
Serene is the perfect word for L’Heure Bleue. I sort of fainted inside the first time I smelled it, and I firmly believe that the world is a better place because it exists.
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? Equistrius, Iris Nobile EDT, or
2. fun perfume? Chinatown, a party in a bottle
3. sexy perfume? Mohur Extrait. Stunningly beautiful.
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Tam Dao or Eau Duelle or Vetyverio or Volutes (I’m a huge Diptyque fan)
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!)
Portrait of a Lady. Beautiful picture, but it doesn’t resemble me.
Still the weekend…i managed to get 15 packages out! All splits are done except for the mega split/swap I’m having with the supreme enabler. I also managed to consummate a swap as well. I will email all the splitees by Monday.
Now I have to go think up some trick perfumes. And boo hiss we have Indian summer next week.
Hello NST’ers. A little late to this but I love the poll.
1. no-brainer / go-to perfume? This changes frequently but I reach for Fleurs d’Oranger a lot in summer.
2. fun perfume? Angel Muse
3. sexy perfume? Tango from Masque
4. relaxing / de-stressing perfume? Bombay Bling
5. aspirational (whatever that means to you!) O’Hira is one of my favourites and I have a teeny sample and if I permitted myself to spend more on perfume I would definitely love to get this but presently a little out of my pricing comfort zone – actually quite a long way!