I've been thinking about gifts as I work on the holiday shopping articles for this year (first installment will hopefully post tomorrow). Here's the three-part poll:
What is the fragrance-related gift you'd most like to receive this year?
Let's say you were going to ask for just one unsniffed fragrance this year, what would it be?
Are you giving any fragrance items for gifts this year, and if so, what?
I need more perfume like I need a whole in the head, but ok, I'd take Diorissimo in extrait. I can't believe another year has gone by and I still haven't bought it.
This is hard because I've sniffed pretty much everything I was interested in this year. Maybe Amouage Homage?
And, no. I've pretty much exhausted that theme.
Note: image is Hats off to Christmas ("Flowering Red Gum - a sign that Christmas is not far away.") by Georgie Sharp at flickr; some rights reserved.
I would love the Bond no. 9 solid perfume token thing, but I'm not asking for it.
If I asked for an unsniffed gift… maybe Tubereuse Criminelle?
But I'm definitely not asking for that.
I love the image!
Ok, here we go, my answers:
1. I will be receiving a bottle or a solid perfume token of Bond no. 9 Chinatown.
2. If I had to receive something unsniffed (which I do sometimes anyways, so it's not a big deal thanks to MUA), it would be Trish McEvoy's White Iris.
3. I am buying a bottle of new Zen by Shiseido for my mom, I just got mine not too long ago and she looooved it.
This is difficult — especially the unsniffed question, and picking JUST ONE. I actually don't ask for frag-related gifts… I prefer to buy for myself, but, if I were inclined:
1. L'Air du Desert Marocain
2. Montale Greyland
3. I'm trying to find a not-outrageously-priced patch for my mom — thinking of Ava Luxe Sweet Patchouli or LA Voleur des Roses or Patchouli Patch, but wish I could find a 20ml Montale Patchouli Leaves. I thought of giving my 8 yr old niece one of the Harajuku sprays, but still thinking she may be just a tad too young.
1. I would really like to get Narcisso Rodriguez for Her Edt, we'll see how much $$$ I get for a gift.
2. I am tempted by Bvlgari Eau Fraiche I found on a discount site, it sounds lighter than the original and nice for summer.
3. I probably won't give any fragrance gifts this year unless I know
what the person wants!
1. I could go for some Habanita extrait (but I am also tempted by the Chinatown perfume token- and since it is a limited edition it might be the one to top the list. (Robin, I think Habanita extrait may be my Diorissimo- keeps getting passed over. sigh.)
2. Unsniffed- I try not to do that anymore, but for the sake of the game Aedes de Venustas sounds promising. Also, Givenchy Le De. (any advice on Le De?) The description of Ava Luxe Chypre Noir on PST was pretty intriguing.
3. My grandmother is getting a bottle of Yvresse (she took over my bottle of Champagne years ago and used it all up). My daughter is getting a bottle of Tumulte (she has gone through most of a one oz. bottle I received in a swap in the summer). My husband will probably get something from the CdG Incense series. (he already has and loves the Oarzazate)
Joe, just had to write…that's so sweet of you! I don't think your 8 year old niece is too young for Harajuku. It seems to be the right age, considering the packaging!
What would I most like? I have a list of 25 samples I'd like to get. I wouldn't turn down Diorissimo in extrait, either!
Unsniffed…either Keiko Mecheri Genie des Bois or Serge Lutens Bois de Violette
Hubby & son have already told me (re: fragrance gifts): “We have enough!”
1) I already know what I'm getting because I placed the order for my hubby! 15mls of Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait. I am delighted.
2) Unsniffed? Oh lord. OK, I'd go for something seasonal if possible, from one of the super-niche online houses like Ava Luxe, Michael Storer, Neil Morris or Possets. I love the idea of these tiny cottage industries being able to create truly new, interesting scents without the hovering threat of focus groups and brand managers.
3) I'm planning to buy my hubby some 'posh' deodorant sprays, because he refuses to wear anything other than his daily spray of Axe. So I'll try to find him a deo/antiperspirant that he likes.
I'll also be putting little vials of fragrance in with the scarves and gloves I've been knitting for friends.
I looooove Le De. Unfortunately, it is so hard to find, and if you do, it's so expensive. I got my gorgeous decant courtesy of the Perfumed Court.
Armani Prive line. I'd love to get all 6 as a gift:)
Some of them (two) would be also unsniffed.
But even if I dont like them, thre's no harm in decorating my room with them.
I just love these conversations.
Here are my answers:
1) I have so many to try that I can't decide. My wishlist contains tons of samples. I would want all of them in 1.5 ml vials…
2) won't be buying for sure, but for fun: Lakshmi by Ajne
3) Already got a bottle of CdG beautiful Zagorsk for husband which makes him nostalgic (he's Russian)
No – not too young, my daughters (7 and 5) are in love with all of them , and are getting a few sprays or the solid set for christmas – They have tried them on and they smell very nice on them.
I have a list of my “wants” on my profile at Fragrantica.com (there it is again!) and my husband looks there periodically to see what I want…if he was smart he'd go buy a bunch of mini bottles from Sephora for my stocking
Still interested in “He Wood” unsniffed, She Wood was pleasant but too tame
I'm making homemade sugar scrubs and giving it with decanters all prettied up with ribbon (from my own perfume collection)
Oh, I'd like one of those tokens too!
Isn't that a great photo? The same photographer has some other really fabulous flower shots.
I know there are small bottles of the Montales (someone will have to help me, I think they're 30 ml?) but they don't seem to sell them here, which is really too bad. Hope you'll think of something perfect!
I don't think 8 is too young for an HL — the small size. It's just for fun, right?
Oh dear. Lists like these are enablers.
1. Big list. I'm exercising restraint, but this is a fantasy list, right? L'Air du Désert Marocain (my current infatuation), Ava Luxe's Moroccan Mint Tea and samples of *all* -well, most anyway- of her fragrances, and Ambre Sultan. Oh, and decent decanting supplies. Not too shabby, eh? Most likely one of those will make its way into my collection before the the new year…
2. Aomassai 10 and/or Andy Warhol's Silver Factory have me itching at the moment. I refuse to buy blind, though.
3. I find it hard to pick for others, so I will probably stick to other types of presents.
Hope you'll get plenty of cash — maybe you can buy the pretty new mirrored bottle
Well, we're both dumb then aren't we? I don't know why I keep buying other things when that's what I want the most! No advice on Le De, you probably need to ask Angela.
So you need a sample gift certificate! Hope you'll get one.
Hey, what a nice idea to knit things & then include sample vials! I wish I knew how to knit, but haven't the patience.
And of course, putting your order in w/ hubby is always the best way to get what you want, LOL…
1. I'd love the new Kelly Caleche parfum/extrait in that really cool silver lock atomizer.
2. Probably the ultra exclusive Habit Rouge parfum only available at Guerlain in Paris.
3. GIving the husband a new bottle of Black XS by Paco Rabanne (his staple) and a bottle of Grass by Gap (the discontinued one) that I happened to find (he loved it!)
1. I still haven't got around to ordering a bottle of Mitsouko EdP, so that's probably at the top of the list.
2. This is a really bad idea, judging from the reviews, but I've been thinking that Borneo 1834 might be the perfect replacement for Angel in my fragrance wardrobe. Caron Poivre or Le Labo Patchouli 24 are probably safer bets, though, and also very high on my wishlist.
Whoops, and 3. I'm planning a sample order as a Christmas gift for a friend, who has been looking for new perfumes for a couple of years. Someone will probably get Roger & Gallet soaps, too.
1) Bond No. 9 West Side
2) Chanel Beige
3) Just decants as stocking stuffers for my perfume loving mom, sister and aunt. We're all giving our christmas present buying money to charity this year, except for gifts for the kids.
1. Well, my wonderful parents have talked us into helping us pay for an extremely extravagant cruise with them this January (The Cheese, me and the babe). So twill be a lean Christmas. But is this just wishin' and hopin'? Well, then, I'll go big: OJ Frangiapani Absolute.
2. Um, er, let's say that Humiecki & Graef Eau Radieuse March was talking about at Perfume Posse the other day.
3. I think I've probably already gone to that well too many times. Maybe something cute and cheap for the little one, so she can have a fun bottle of her own (though she has expensive taste!)
I know Montale still sends one 20ml bottle of your choice with any 100ml bottle purchase directly from them.
1) Narcisco Rodriguez for Her EDP-need a quiet skin scent that won't offend people during performances; Bvlgari Black-been meaning to buy this for two years; Mitsouko EDP-if I can find it with a gift card…
2) Ava Luxe Kretek-I miss my Djarum Blacks!, or Piguet's Bandit
3) Bakir for my mother, who fell in love with it 20 or 30 years ago and still has the original bottle.
I saw Le De at the San Francisco Nordstrom's a few weeks ago. It seems to be available through their website, http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/2378188/0~2377897~2383939~2378188?origin=2383939_Select+a+Brand2383939
Serge all the way:
1. La Myrrhe / Serge Noire
2. Bois de Violette
3. Would like to get Mandarine Mandarin for my gf because she really likes it, but will see if I'm flush come December
Hey, I'd take that Armani coffret too!
1) Luctor et emergo. I'm going very fast through my decant
2) I second the Amouage Homage idea, or EL Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang
3) As the middle of december is the first birthday of my perfumania, I think I will give a home to many of the samples I've hoarded this year and try to compose little “bouquets” for some of my friends. As for full bottles, I might buy Lonestar memories for my husband
Thank you for this. Unfortunately, shipping costs for outside US are painful.
I am having a terrible time deciding what to ask Santa for this year!! Maybe l'Air du Desert Marocain (sounds like they'll sell out, so many people here want it – bulk order is a good idea!), or Island by Opus or Voodoo by Opus, or CdG 2, or l'Heure Bleue, or Apres l'Ondee – argh! I change my mind every day!
Unsniffed might be one of the Amouage Jubilations or l'Artisan Premier Figuier.
I am planning on getting my stepmom EL Amber Ylang Ylang and my sister the Tuberose Gardenia, along with samples so they can switch them out if they don't like them.
It does sound like Andy's business is about to explode, doesn't it?
LAdDM is fabulously addictive, it's like my catnip at the moment. You'll find me waxing poetic about Black Tourmaline any day of the week too, by the way.
1. Ormonde Jayne Woman
2. Chanel Beige
3. I love to make samples from my collection for the uninitiated but interested
1) Manuel Canovas L'ile Bleu & Pink Riviera
2) Unsniffed would have to be anything from the Ormonde Jayne line
3) My husband has been wearing Davidoff Cool Water for 5+ years (Yawn!!!) I have bought so many decants for him to try & he still loves his Cool Water. I give up!
Fun! I would like the new Mure et Musc extrait. It' s STUPID expensive but I'm a blackberry sucker! Unsniffed, the Carnival Wax leather pouch with 5 oils in it. For the rocker-chic, wannabe Kat von D in me;-)
1. My newfound love – Coromandel. Or Sophia Grojsman's 100% Love. Or Chanel Eau Premiere. Or Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu. OK, sorry. Getting carried away…
2. There are so many perfumes out there that I've never tried! Perhaps the new Insolence EDP? Or The Different Company's Sublime Balkiss? Or Vero Profumo's Kiki?
3. No idea. We're broke this year. But if I had my wish, I'd love to give my sister something really incredible – she always depends on me for perfume. My husband, too. But my sister would probably be happier with jewelry I make for her, and my husband would probably prefer some new power tools. Ha ha.
Homemade sugar scrubs sounds like a great idea
For most of us, it will remain a fantasy list, yes! But now I'm wondering about Ava Luxe Morrocan Mint Tea, that sounds lovely.
Gosh, I just satisfied my frag itch –for the time being–with a big binge at Barneys (Bigarade Concentree, Un Lys, Borneo 1834) so maybe a bottle of Ormonde Jayne or Tolu? Although it might be nice to get some Jasmine et Cigarette, just to be perverse and nostalgic (it was the scent I chose for my first interlude with my French boyfriend, who is as big a frag hag as I)
Unsniffed? Un Parfum de Ailleurs et Fleurs. In a heartbeat.
Not sure if I'm doing any juice for Christmas, although I may try to wean Andre off his unhealthy addiction to Chanel with a little Sel de Vetiver.
1) Paestum Rose, Eau du Desert Marocain or a Montale Aoudh (sp?)
2) Chaos–I'm too much a newbie as a perfumista to have ever smelled it, but if it is anything like my beloved black cashmere, I think I'm guaranteed to like it.
3) Got my dear mom a box set from Ormonde Jayne with the eau d'parfum and body lotion in Frangipane. I'm really excited to give it to her–we were in London together this summer and she sniffed it and really liked it while I was buying half the shop (aka Orris Noir and Ormonde Man).
Would it be cheating to ask for the Thierry Mugler Perfume Coffret? I'm not quite over that yet. If it absolutely had to be just one, then Frederic Malle Dans Tes Bras.
If I could ask for any fragrance unsniffed, it would be Vero Kern's Onda. The reviews have me hankering after that like nobody's business.
I think I'll be giving Amour Le Parfum as a present to my sister. She loves her bottle fo EdP, and it's almost empty.
The Eau de Guerlain is certainly the bigger bargain — but hope you'll get the Kilian!
Hey, I'd like one of those KC extraits too!
Yes, the Borneo is probably a big risk!
Roger & Gallet soaps are so lovely, and they're getting harder to find in my neck of the woods.
Sariah, that's what we do here: gifts for kids, grown-ups give a group gift to charity.
1. L'Artisan Premier Figuier or Chanel Bois des Iles – love 'em both, want 'em both!
2. Unsniffed, I'm coveting Kenzo Amour Le Parfum
3. My husband is getting some Molton Brown Black Pepper body wash.
It's a very simplistic scent, really, but I loved wearing it this summer; so refreshing. And it *lasts*. Literally 48 hours and 3 showers on it was still there on my skin. And I got complimented on it, which never happens to me!
I'm organizing a Get-Eric-a-Decant-of-Iris-Silver-Mist Fund (my friends would get so confused I just gave them the basic information it's hilarious.
Unsniffed (and sadly hypothetical) bottle would undoubtedly be another from Serge Lutens; so many of them look amazing and samples really add up. Cedre, Fumerie Turque, Bois de Violette, Encens et Lavande, Chene, Un Bois Sepia… Gaaaah! I also think I'd get along well with Apres L'Ondee. =D
My last scent gift (Sur la Nil) resulted in giving my mother serious skin irritation. It's really a shame because she liked it so much and seriously, I was tearing through citruses right and left to find her something amazing. So, no. I'll stick with giving myself fragrant gifts. I know what I like, after all.
Speaking of, I went out today and got myself a bottle of Brin de Reglisse (Prices increased this year, by the way. Expect to pay $210 for all Hermessences, fellow Yanks!) and I'm delirious. It's actually only the fourth bottle I've bought this year, so I think I'm averaging out okay. Right? Dx
Hey, HV, I find Le De to be a gentle aldehydic floral, and in that vein I like the slightly lustier Guerlain Vega. But if you get a hankering for Le De, I noticed that parfum1 has it at a discount, plus they're running a code that would bring the price down to about $62 for the Les Mythiques version. Plus you get a free Joy lotion. You might even be able to find it cheaper somewhere else.
1. Bond No. 9 Lexington Avenue (BF has already purchased this at my instruction and is holding it for hannukah)
2. Indult Reve en Cuir
3. Fresh Index soap set (I think it has Frankincense, Myrrh and Amber soaps in it)
Hey thanks for the info! I am being a “good girl” for now- but it is mighty tempting (b/c of the Joy lotion)- I will break down and get a sample one of these days (and maybe the Vega, too!)… I am trying to keep from doing “sniffed” and “unsniffed” purchases until AFTER the holidays
Amouage Attar? Le Labo Poivre 23? Iris Silver Mist? Yep, I'll take them all, thank you very much, Santa.
The new Parfums del Rae, even if the main note is melon, lol!
Probably not doing much shopping at all. I would rather spend my money celebrating with family and friends and going on a mini-vacation.
I will get my hands on some one o' these days!
1. Cumming the Fragrance
2. Any of the Chanel Exclusifs, although Cuir de Russie sounds particularly appealing.
3. I'm giving my sister Dior Hypnotic Poison, which is her current favorite evening fragrance. My mother initially asked for Chanel's Coco this year, but is now hedging her bets, concerned that it may smell too “old” for her. So we'll see–I may need to put her in for the “help find a new perfume” feature.
Wish my husband would ask me these questions…
1. Most wanted: Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just the 1.7 oz…
2. Unsniffed: SIP Black Rosette; or more realistically, Ava Luxe Bois de Figue
3. Giving: sample sets from the Perfumed Court (chocolate, vanilla, and almond) to my sister, a handpicked wedding sampler for my other sister, a perfume necklace for my daughter (for her beloved Songes), and big bottles of Chanel Antaeus and Gucci Pour Homme for my husband (my fave scents on him).
Wow…through 3 showers is almost worrisome!
Hey, I'd give up presents for a cruise! Even a budget cruise. Are you allowed to tell us where to?
Wow, she makes a Kretek scent? Going to have to go look at that.
Good thinking on the JAR — that would work for me too. I'll take a bottle of Bolt of Lightning.
Damselfly1213, I just tested both the Genie des Bois and the Bois de Violette. FWIW, I like the Mecheri best by quite a margin. I'm going to get some!
1. Amouage Lyric, bc I love the juice AND the bottle, but would never pay that much myself.
2. Iris Silver Mist…I'll get around to sniffing it one of these days. Or, one of the L'A scents I haven't tried yet, since that line seems to be good for me.
3. My husband has put out some not-so-subtle hints that he really, really likes Geir…so he'll probably get some either for his bday or for Christmas (2 weeks apart, so doesn't matter which). I'll also probably look for some nice inexpensive scented lotions for my 12 yo, since she's recently interested, and then I'll be stuck doing something for the 4 yo so she stops stealing my POTL LetE cream.
1. Most Coveted: Right now? Dans Tes Bras.
2. Unsniffed: Frapin 1270 sounds wonderful.
3. Husband doesn't want more fragrance right now, but some of my friends will probably get scented soaps from North Shore Soap Factory or Mistral Soap.
You know, I am so confused at this point as to what I want for myself, but I am buying a bottle of Sex Panther as a gift, I do know that much.
Oh dear, you do need to narrow down! Amazing number of Desert Marocain votes today.
Hey, that's a gorgeous bottle too! I've never smelled any of the Carnival Wax scents, have you?
Yeah, I've seen some very rarely on eBay (and snagged myself a Red Aoud), so I can hope. I think that size is just about perfect, since 100ml of Montale anything would last about 324 years.
You know, I was just in Gap last weekend and saw a whole shelf of new Grass EDT. I think it's been brought back. Anyone know if it's appreciably different from the old one?
1) Did I see someone write something about Habit Rouge parfum extrait…??? How could I have missed something like that? Please someone tell me more! I would swoon over that (assuming it's a well done extension of that line).
2) Ormonde Jayne Zizan hands down
3) I'd love to give Chanel Sycomore to my partner just so I can smell it on him, but have alas already got my eyes on a beautiful Steiff limited edition bear… (so NOT fragrance related I know)… hmm, maybe Sycomore for Christmas and the bear for the birthday that folllows soon after, or vice vera…
Dear Santa, I've been so well-behaved this year. May I ask you for a bottle of SL's Chene? Or AT's l'air du desert?
Thank you very much!!
p.s. I'd buy unsniffed -if it wasn't for the price: JO Ormonde Women, and SL's Chergui.
p.s.Fragrant gifts: Culti's home range for my aunts, AP invitation crèole candle for a friend. Roger &Gallet soaps – a signature low fuss/low key gift of mine. If only they hadn't “modernized” their boxes! I loved their vintage feel.
p.s. What would Santa's perfume preferences be, in your opinion?
kind of off topic, but are you really familiar with the Ava Luxe line?
I was wondering about the quality.
I was looking at them yesterday and noticed that they're pretty expensive, so I was considering just going ahead and buying one unsniffed (probably Biba or The Noir)
1) and 2) I want a whole ounce of vintage Poivre by Caron. I'll never have it, nobody's going to give it to me, I've never tried it (though I instinctively know I'd love it), and I don't even know if it can be had: but if I can dream, that's the dream.
3) No, because I don't have anybody on my list who's as insane about scent as I am, not even close. That's probably for the best.
my comment was lost (I miss-clicked!)
1) Lutens (too many to mention) Dior Cologne Blanche, Mure et musc.
2) Unsniffed: Zizane by ormonde Jayne.
3) As A gift.. Fico di Amalfi for my SO, I will give it at christmas or a month later at his birthday.
A bottle of Guerlain Derby
Le Labo Gaiac 10
SL Ambre Sultan for my partner and a bottle of Bond No. 9 Fire Island for my sis.
Oh, just to the Caribbean. (Even with the economy tanking and the cruises being discounted, we probably couldn't afford one I'd love to do, like the Baltic or South Pacific Islands. My parents did the Chinese coast last year and highly recommend it.) We've been waffling, but it appears to be settled that we're doing a Celebrity 10-day one. I'm a little worried about the constant vigilance my transparent daughter will require in the sun, but otherwise excited. Maybe I'll still be able to afford a duty-free scent. Dior Escale a Portofino or something?
I'm not — have only tried 2 of them — but they're very popular on the MakeupAlley board. Pretty sure you can find some reviews there in the Productville section.
Hey, a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean sounds great to me — and getting out of town in January is always a good thing! Hope you'll have a great time.
A friend just got me Cumming as an early Hanukkah present. But I like the slogan, “Chritsmas is Cumming!”
Mmm.. Derby is so good.
1,2. Boudicca Wode Paint – but I'd probably be just as happy with a vial of Avignon and a bottle of disappearing ink.
3. The Demeter minis make fun stocking stuffers, but I think this year I may be moving up to the CB Accords for actual gifts. I'm curious to see how his new Gingerale compares to Demeter's and I'm intrigued by Ink and Cuba Libre.
1-Getting? I would love to get (gimme-gimme-gimme) SL Chypre Rouge.
2-Unsniffed? Red Aoud, Christian Lacroix Tumulte or even Noir(Avon). Haven't heard much about the Noir, but the price point would not kill the giver's budget and if I don't like it….. bathroom airfreshner.
3 Giving? N-E-V-E-R A-G-A-I-N!
–One year I gave Azzaro to my dad, Mom treatened divorce if he ever wears it again
–Another year gave my brother the classic Armani —forgetting that this was my ex's frag of choice…. issues!!!!!
–Gave my mother Hermes's Amazone. She loves it soo much, she has been saving the bottles for 15 years…. waiting for a special occasion!
Hey, I might take the new Insolence EdP unsniffed too. Wish it'd get to the US already.
Chaos is a great scent. I still haven't smelled the new version though.
And hey — that's a really nice present you got your mom! I'd love one of those.
I don't see why it would be cheating! Go for it.
I like the idea of a gift to charity, cause honestly, I don't need a lot of stuff. We're exchanging gift cards among adults this year, which to me is basically like exchanging cash, right? Great tip!
Great poll (as usual), R.
1. Get? Amouage Lyric (because I just couldn't justify spending that much myself).
2. Unsniffed? Giorgio Armani Onde Mystere, Vertige and Extase.
3. Give? All those bottles of pretty fruity-floral things I bought in those heady, early days of fragrance lust/acquisition, to my assorted “adopted” nieces!!!
Hope you'll get them both! And do try the Kenzo, it's lovely.
Hey, that's a worthy cause. Maybe I should organize a “get Robin a BELL JAR” fund?? See, I'm greedy.
And wow, that is NOT happy news on the Hermessences. Congrats on your BdR though.
Hey Robin, proof that great minds think alike! I want Diorissimo in extrait too, and since I have a Visa gift card, that's probably what I'll buy with it!
Unsniffed? Well I actually did smell Lady Stetson many years ago and thought it was nice, but I've forgotten it. I'm very curious now since it got that great writeup by Turin & Sanchez. Sounds funny I know, being that it's not at all expensive, but I just haven't shelled out for it. I'm still looking for those little $2 samples everyone else seems to find!
As for gifts, I might give my aunt one of her favorites, Charlie or Gloria Vanderbilt, unless she has been way oversupplied.
Smart BF! And I'm off to look for that soap set, sounds interesting…
You're more optimistic than I am on that Delrae, R! But I'll try to keep an open mind. And with you on that mini-vacation!
Yay for Cumming (no pun intended). Wish it would get wider distribution — it's such a great scent.
And sure, why not put your mom in the Monday Mail?
There was a tester bottle back at Macy's counter and I liked the scent after the initial opening. But I didnt go back to do a purchase. I went back last nite and the tester is gone and the SA said she didn't know when it would be available. Hmmmm? Wonder what went wrong?
I'd love to receive Amouage Lyric, amazing stuff, or Hermes Terre d' Hermes
Asking for one unsniffed fragrance this year. YU Parfum, it's got a gorgeous bottle, have no idea what the juice smells like though. But I just checked on E-Bay and it was $3,500 US. It's not happening for me in this lifetime or the next!
Fragrance items for gifts:
Best Friend-Bulgari Au de Blanc
Mother in law-I'm custom making a scent for her, something green/white floral, perhaps with gardenia/and white musk drydown.
I am still jonesing for the Estee Lauder compacts – they are gorgeous
Unsniffed I'd want a safe bet and something expensive! so it would have to be Annick Goutal Songes in the moon bottle of course
I don't usually give scents as a gift b/c unless its a candle. Except for hubby who automatically gets Drakkar Noir – I know, I know, I can hear you all groaning now but he wont wear anything else! LOL!
Hope someone will figure out that you're dying for the VG! Nice picks.
I am really hoping Lyric comes out in those same travel bottles that Jubilation did…at discount!
I would love a bottle of Guerlain Chant d'Aromes extrait. I've heard that they are secretly still selling it at the Guerlain boutique in Paris!
My unsniffed choice would be the new Yves Rocher Fleur de Noel. In some ways, I am a very cheap date.
I'll probably give my mother another bottle of perfume, if she wants one. She usually tells me what she wants for Christmas, and that's what I get her.
I need to try the new version of the Frapin myself.
And hope it goes over well!
Sorry, I know nothing — I've either never heard of it or I've forgotten. I want a bottle of Sycomore too!
Hey, you're the first person to worry about what Santa might like! And I don't know. Something masculine, obviously, with tobacco & leather.
I've got both it and the old one, and it seems faithful to me. I know it is enough so that I am HAPPY I waltzed over and bought two bottles…one for me, one for a gift.
Sorry you had to redo your comment! Like the “too many to mention” — that's about the same for most of us, I guess. Hope he'll love the Fico di Amalfi!
Yeah, when we got to the point where there was lots of gift card exchanging, we moved to a group joint charity gift. Better than getting lots of stuff you don't need!
My unsniffed choice would be Donna Karan's Chaos. I really love her original signature, and Chaos is so intriguing.
I would love a huge bag of empty 5 ml spray bottles to decant more of my frags into travel/purse sizes. And the other thing I wanted but am now getting is a FB of Baghari from my awesome sister!
My frag gifts this year — my great sister is getting EL PC Amber Ylang Ylang, my younger sister is getting Shalimar, my mom is getting EL Sensuous.
Yeah, I haven't gotten any responses to any of my inquiries. I've tried asking Sephora and Bergdorf…and Guerlain! If anyone hears anything. let us all know!
Haunani – thanks for the heads up! There are a couple of other K. Mecheris I'd like to try, too – Peau de Peche and Osmanthus.
So very with you on that! It's beautiful, but I can't see myself going through an entire bottle. I don't usually like rose scents for myself.
Hey, if you find out about Gingerale, let me know! Hard to see how you can get the fizz w/o an alcohol base.
Platinum, Highly recommend the Lacroix, plus, it's cheap! And what a saga…I'd give up on fragrance gifts too.
Ooooh, I'd like those Armanis too.
And good thing you've got adopted nieces
Lady Stetson is nice enough, but I'd save the money towards the Diorissimo, personally
Ah, bet you they put the tester out before they were supposed to. That's good news, means it ought to be at Macy's soon.
I never tried the Yu, but heard it was kind of dull. Decided to believe it since I can't afford it
My sister loves Intuition by Estee Lauder, So she's getting that.
I'm searching for a nice smokey scent for my hippie son.
And I would love to get Creed White Flowers with the lotion. It smells like a can't miss for me, and it it partly goes to charity.
I don't think it's too white if magnolia plays one of the dominate notes?
And I'm getting for myself a box of Body By Victoria's sparkling body powder-it smell so fresh and goes with everything.
And Liz by Lix Claiborne, because it's cheap online for $9.00 And this is the one she put her first name on.
1. I would LOVE Midnight Poison for Christmas.
2. If I'd like to receive an unsniffed fragrance? Several in fact, most of those suggested by you guys when Robin run my Monday fragrance-seeking poll. Cuir D'Armenie, L'Air du Desert Marocain, Costes, and Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. OK the last one's not exactly unsniffed, I did sniff it briefly in London, I just remember it was sooo bottle-worthy but they had a 3-week waiting time for it at Selfridges and I was flying out the next day.
3. If I go home for Christmas I'll get my parents some frags. Chanel Allure Blanc for Dad, and Fendi Palazzo for Mom. If I don't go home for Christmas, I have a friend who would loove Habanita
I'd love one of those compacts too! Have no use for one, though!
And hey, there's something to be said for consistency. Drakkar Noir it is
Hey, you are a cheap date! YR does a nice job, though, and I'd like a bottle of the Fleur de Noel too. Won't cost you as much as that trip to the Guerlain boutique, right?
The perfume I'd most like to get this Christmas is L'Artisan Iris Pallida. It is lovely and light and will remind me of Spring.
Unsniffed, I'd like to try CB I Hate Perfume Burning Leaves, or Chanel Coromandel.
I plan to give my husband L'Homme Sage by Divine (mostly becaue I want to use it!) And I have so many perfume samples, and I'll probably assemble little packs for the “book club” **read eat and gab club**
Hey, that is an awesome sister you've got, how nice!
L'Air du Desert Marocain might be the most mentioned here today — I should count but I'm too lazy. Hope you'll get at least one of your wishes!
Hope you'll get your Iris Pallida — is there any left though? Haven't checked lately.
Good call on the L'Homme Sage, great to borrow
If you want nice n' smokey, have you tried Annick Goutal's Duel? It's got leather, woods, Iris & Musk, very nice juice.
That sounds like a safe plan to me!
It's back?! Must run and try. I loved the old grass, and hope it's unchanged.
1. Lyric, 100 ml FB. Or, leaving the realm of the nucking futs, FB of Eau des Merveilles… that could maybe happen, if Santa and the Hanukah fairy join forces and play nice. Have I mentioned that I've been a very good girl?
2. Unsniffed, it would have to Dans Tes Bras/Sarrasins/Shaal Nur. It's one perfume. Yup.
3. Maybe Marc Jacobs for my Mom, but then she's the type to buy a beauty product, use it for a week, and decide that the 3.7 seconds needed to apply it are just too much trouble, so we'll see.
Ok, my turn I'm finally able to comment after a ridiculous week. First, on my wish list – a bottle of a sample I ordered from Luckyscent called Botrytis, tho I hate the weird name, I love the warm comforting fragrance, wonderful for Fall/Winter. Then, if it's still available anywhere, I absolutely covet Shalimar in the limited edition black bottle – that would look amazing on my dresser and I never tire of that fragrance. Oh, and unsniffed, I am very curious about Amouage Lyric.
Good luck on the Lyric! It used to be possible to find Shaal Nur at very good prices on the discount sites, but not seeing so many deals now
Looks like the “Black Mystery” bottle might be sold out
*sigh* I'm not surprised. As much as I wanted this, the $350 price tag was quite the hindrance, but that bottle is eye candy personified. Perhaps it will show up on Ebay one of these days when I happen to have some money to burn, yeah right. haha
Except for my Chinatown that my BF promised to get me for Christmas, my two girl friends are getting me fragrances too. One of them is buying me a bottle of Mandarine Basilic (I loved Your article, Robin, where You compared it to a dull-orange fragrance by Marc Jacobs), the other one has asked me today: so what do You want for X-mas? I talked her into buying me that bottle of White Iris by Trish Mcevoy, at least the small one! Unsniffed! Not to mention my mom… she said she'll SUPRISE me with a perfume this year… this is sooo exciting! Plus I'll be able to stock for another year or so:))
For the last few, colder days I have been wearing Miller Harris fragrances: Terre de Bois and Feuilles du Tabac. They smell SOOO beautiful on colder days!!! I got so many compliments! The only thing is that a friend of mine loved Miller Harris frags so much… she told me she'd be sooo happy if someone got it for her as a gift. That's gonna hurt my wallet, but she has always been a good friend. She would never spend over a $100 on a fragrance, and she would trip if she knew how much Miller Harris costs… I'll still get it for her, life is too short! Let the girl have a good perfume at least for once!
Hey, you never know — keep your fingers crossed!
Hey, how nice — you're getting 3 scents you wanted, and buying a nice one for a friend. Happy when everybody gets what they want
I think I may need more than luck re: Lyric; maybe a sugar daddy? I'm having trouble finding cheapo Shaal Nur, too…
Go for it with the Diorissimo. Sniffed it once on a friend's arm. In a word, divine.
It's a beautiful scent, and I do love my EdT but would like the extrait. They had the extrait available at discount last year, and can't believe I didn't buy it then.
I picked up a bottle of Le De for just £7.50 on UK Ebay, but I think I was just incredibly lucky. I would wholeheartedly recommend it though, if you can find it!